• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag and lock

JD64

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hello everyone, Starting my first Camino 5/19! I'd love some input on a couple of things as I plan and pack. I'm walking the CF, solo. I plan on bringing a silk sleeping bag liner. What kind of sleeping bag (or down duvet, maybe?) would you suggest for this route at this time of year? Should I bring a lock? Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would not bring a lock. It signifies there is something of value in your bag to take. Anything of value should be on your person or with you (even in the shower) at all times.

I have used a silk liner bag only in the summer. In cooler weather I have either an Army Poncho liner (soft and either warm or cool to touch which ever you want) or a super light down sleeping bag. In the summer I have used my rain poncho over my silk liner as an extra blanket if needed.

And here's the obligatory suggestion to leave the sleeping bag at home and take only a liner. I walked the CF two years go around the same time and found that a liner was quite sufficient, and certainly much lighter than a sleeping bag.

That said: only you know whether you sleep hot or cold. If you tend to be chilly at night even during warmer weather, take a sleeping bag. If you tend to kick off your blankets at night, take just a liner.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I brought a small combination lock. I only used it a couple of times as i keep valuables on me at all times. my backpack usually doesn't fit in lockers.
Probably more useful in non-pilgrim/city hostels.
I'd say a lock isn't essential but it's small and easily fits in the waistbelt pocket.

I have started walking the camino as early as Mar, and as late as mid-May. I have always carried a sleeping bag and liner, and used it even in early Jun. It has allowed me to use Xunta, parroquial and similar albergues which did not provide blankets. Temperatures might be rising in early Jun, but I have found it can still be uncomfortably cold at night. I would not change my approach on this.

I wouldn't take a lock. Over many years, I can only recall one albergue with lockers where having a lock might have been useful.

Last edited:
I started in May just about the same time you will. I used Sea To Summit Comfort Blend Sleeping Bag Liner. Was enough for me to suit my needs.
Did not use lock as I am in the "If you lock it - it attracts unwanted attention" camp. Yes anything even remotely of importance has to be on you 24/7 and as many have quiped - Now if you want to carry my dirty laundry you're more than welcome to it

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello everyone, Starting my first Camino 5/19! I'd love some input on a couple of things as I plan and pack. I'm walking the CF, solo. I plan on bringing a silk sleeping bag liner. What kind of sleeping bag (or down duvet, maybe?) would you suggest for this route at this time of year? Should I bring a lock? Thank you!
Places to apply a lock will be limited. I haven't sauntered during the summer so I always bring a light weight sleeping bag. I bought i poly-duvet and loaned it to friends for their summer Camino and they said they used it. Mine was from Costco and was too short for me 5'10".

I have started walking the camino as early as Mar, and as late as mid-May. I have always carried a sleeping bag and liner, and used it even in early Jun. It has allowed me to use Xunta, parroquial and similar albergues which did not provide blankets. Temperatures might be rising in early Jun, but I have found it can still be uncomfortably cold at night. I would not change my approach on this.

I wouldn't take a lock. Over many years, I can only recall one albergue with lockers where having a lock might have been useful.
Hi Doug, Thanks for the input!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.