• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, @elajenki, and a very warm welcome to the forum! You’ve asked a question that is on the mind of a lot of people as they prepare their first camino. You are going to get a lot of answers and opinions, in fact you can see a thread from almost exactly a year ago discussing the same question.

Before the strong opinions start rolling in, I just want to say that imho the only thing any experienced pilgrim can tell you is whether THEY will need a sleeping bag. This is not a question of averages, of going with the majority, it’s a question whose answer for you depends on your body and nothing else! I have a little soapbox post that I like to insert in these threads:

I think the "should I take a sleeping bag" question is the same as the "what are the best hiking boots" or "which backpack should I use" questions. This is a question that no one else can answer for you because it depends exclusively on your own body. I don't doubt that all of the posters have accurately reported on what feels good for them in those conditions, but they have their own unique internal heating and cooling systems. I always take a lightweight sleeping bag (850 grams), even last year arriving in Santiago in late July. But then I'm what the Spanish call "friolera", someone who gets cold easily. Only you know if that describes you too. If you're the one who always pulls out a sweater to warm up in summer air conditioning, or who needs extra layers when sitting around in the winter, then you will probably be very happy with the decision to carry a sleeping bag. If you sweat a lot and run around the house in shirt sleeves in winter, then you are likely to be fine with something much less.

I think you will get a lot of opinions, and there’s nothing wrong with people sharing their experiences, but I think the best thing for you is to go with your gut feeling about your own body temperature.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, @elajenki, and a very warm welcome to the forum! You’ve asked a question that is on the mind of a lot of people as they prepare their first camino. You are going to get a lot of answers and opinions, in fact you can see a thread from almost exactly a year ago discussing the same question.

Before the strong opinions start rolling in, I just want to say that imho the only thing any experienced pilgrim can tell you is whether THEY will need a sleeping bag. This is not a question of averages, of going with the majority, it’s a question whose answer for you depends on your body and nothing else! I have a little soapbox post that I like to insert in these threads:

I think the "should I take a sleeping bag" question is the same as the "what are the best hiking boots" or "which backpack should I use" questions. This is a question that no one else can answer for you because it depends exclusively on your own body. I don't doubt that all of the posters have accurately reported on what feels good for them in those conditions, but they have their own unique internal heating and cooling systems. I always take a lightweight sleeping bag (850 grams), even last year arriving in Santiago in late July. But then I'm what the Spanish call "friolera", someone who gets cold easily. Only you know if that describes you too. If you're the one who always pulls out a sweater to warm up in summer air conditioning, or who needs extra layers when sitting around in the winter, then you will probably be very happy with the decision to carry a sleeping bag. If you sweat a lot and run around the house in shirt sleeves in winter, then you are likely to be fine with something much less.

I think you will get a lot of opinions, and there’s nothing wrong with people sharing their experiences, but I think the best thing for you is to go with your gut feeling about your own body temperature.

Buen camino, Laurie
On another note, if I decide to bring sleeping bag, should I get a down vs synthetic. I’m wondering if down makes it susceptible to bedbugs!
Thank you, Elaine

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On another note, if I decide to bring sleeping bag, should I get a down vs synthetic. I’m wondering if down makes it susceptible to bedbugs!
Thank you, Elaine
Down is lighter and more compressible, and warmer for the same weight. It's not "more susceptible" to bedbugs.

However, IF you get bedbugs, down is harder to treat and clear of bedbugs because it takes special care to wash it and dry it. CORRECTION: As J Wilhaus noted below, down requires special care for washing, but not drying.

I have gone with an ultralight synthetic quilt (Enlightened Equipment Revelation Apex in 50F warmth), which is only 285g on my scale. However, this is quite expensive - I just happen to also have use for it for backpacking.

Last edited:
Down is lighter and more compressible, and warmer for the same weight. It's not "more susceptible" to bedbugs.

However, IF you get bedbugs, down is harder to treat and clear of bedbugs because it takes special care to wash it and dry it.

I have gone with an ultralight synthetic quilt (Enlightened Equipment Revelation Apex in 50F warmth), which is only 285g on my scale. However, this is quite expensive - I just happen to also have use for it for backpacking.
I like this option, especially the adjustment at your feet. I don’t like anything too tight. Also, it equally expensive to my other option, th Sea to Summit down spark bag. Muchos Gracias!

When I did the CF in 2018 I left SJPdP the second week of April, so similar to your timing. I debated the same debate you're having, ultimately taking a very light down bag that converts to a quilt-style blanket. It was rated for 35-40F and weighs around 600g (not including stuff sack), so not a big addition to my overall Camino pack weight.

The reason I chose this option was I wasn't sure a liner was enough given the volatility of temps that I could expect in April. Meanwhile, a full bag (I have a heftier 20F bag that I use for camping) would have been too much.

What I like about the quilt/bag convertibility is that I could use the quilt as comforter if the albergue had good sheets, but if it didn't have any I could use it as a full bag and not need sheets.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw that out there as an option you maybe hadn't considered. I was happy with my decision and will be taking the same bag/quilt back with me this year for my second Camino.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used a silk liner bag and my rain poncho in the summer as a blanket in June. I was fine, but my husband was cold most of the time. It is a very individual choice, but for April I would take my light down bag.

However, IF you get bedbugs, down is harder to treat and clear of bedbugs because it takes special care to wash it and dry it.

FYI, You only need to put the bag in the dryer and not wash it first. Heat is what kills bedbugs and not water. I put my down bag in the dryer all the time with no problems.

FYI, You only need to put the bag in the dryer and not wash it first. Heat is what kills bedbugs and not water. I put my down bag in the dryer all the time with no problems.
Thank you, I should have been more informed that washing down is where special care is necessary. I thought you had to dry down very carefully too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I did the CF in 2018 I left SJPdP the second week of April, so similar to your timing. I debated the same debate you're having, ultimately taking a very light down bag that converts to a quilt-style blanket. It was rated for 35-40F and weighs around 600g (not including stuff sack), so not a big addition to my overall Camino pack weight.

The reason I chose this option was I wasn't sure a liner was enough given the volatility of temps that I could expect in April. Meanwhile, a full bag (I have a heftier 30F bag that I use for camping) would have been too much.

What I like about the quilt/bag convertibility is that I could use the quilt as comforter if the albergue had good sheets, but if it didn't have any I could use it as a full bag and not need sheets.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw that out there as an option you maybe hadn't considered. I was happy with my decision and will be taking the same bag/quilt back with me this year for my second Camino.
I am now leaning towards your option. I don’t want to be cold! I’m seeing most people don’t regret it!

Thank you, I should have been more informed that washing down is where special care is necessary. I thought you had to dry down very carefully too.
Honestly I have had my down bag for about 15 years now and I wash it and tumble dry it without much special treatment. Turn it inside out and zip up everything first. My regular laundry soap is the kind without dyes, brighteners, or softeners. I usually wash it in a front loader, but have washed it in a top loader without issues. I do store it in a bigger cloth bag at home so as not to compress the loft though. Follow your manufacturers guidelines and you should be fine.

My thinking now is less is more.
Yes, but you will need to remind yourself of that, when you are shivering on a chilly night! I find that being warm is very important when my body is tired from the day's long walk.

I thought you had to dry down very carefully too.
Wet down is likely rather fragile with the extra weight of the water, and you might need to take more care when drying it from a wet condition. However, putting the dry fluffy down item into a medium-hot (super hot is not necessary) dryer for 30 minutes is generally not a problem.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Was it this bag/quilt combo from MEC (in Canada)? I wish I could have picked one up, it's very cost effective! But they are sold out now and I don't know if they will ever stock it again.

For those who aren't clicking on links: it's a sleeping bag, but one side is sheet/liner weight and one side is quilt weight! You can just put the side on top that suits the ambient temperature best. It was still in stock as of early fall 2023 but I hesitated and missed my chance to pick one up. :/

Edit: I got curious so I just got off the chat line with MEC. They do have an order to restock that Camino Traveller bag I linked above. ETA Spring 2024. :)

Last edited:
For sure you should take a sleeping bag at that time of year v just a silk liner and warm clothes if that is what you're asking. Depending where you're staying you might even be cold in just a lightweight sleeping bag, but most Albergues will have extra blankets. It's a tricky time of year as it could be a heatwave or snow, but generally nights will be cold.

I’m starting the Camino Frances from SJPDP on April 3, ‘24. I’m on the fence whether to bring an ultralight sleeping bag since it could be near freezing this time of year. My thinking now is less is more. I do have a silk liner and some warm layers I could wear to bed. I’ll appreciate any and all opinions! Buen Camino!
Sea to Summit’s ultralight sleeping bags are on sale right now! I ordered a Flame Ultralight 48 degree from their website in anticipation of my shoulder season Camino this fall. A few years ago I walked a winter Camino and was glad to have a cold weather down bag plus a liner, as some of the albergues were not heated. Brrr! Seems that the lighter weight 48 will be comfortable and easier to carry for spring or fall. A good night’s rest is so important when walking. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Was it this bag/quilt combo from MEC (in Canada)? I wish I could have picked one up, it's very cost effective! But they are sold out now and I don't know if they will ever stock it again.

For those who aren't clicking on links: it's a sleeping bag, but one side is sheet/liner weight and one side is quilt weight! You can just put the side on top that suits the ambient temperature best. It was still in stock as of early fall 2023 but I hesitated and missed my chance to pick one up. :/

Edit: I got curious so I just got off the chat line with MEC. They do have an order to restock that Camino Traveller bag I linked above. ETA Spring 2024. :)

No, it's from Feathered Friends (the Flicker Quilt). Be prepared for sticker shock if you look it up.

I bought mine a decade ago as a buy-it-for-life purchase and it has served me well, not just on the Camino. But definitely not for everyone.

I'm also going at the end of April (first timer). Having done some research I've opted for a 600gm down sleeping bag. I have the option of an additional liner (I'm weighing this up). I'm definitely a "friolera" so just a liner won't suit me, but my 1.7kg alpine sleeping bag won't suit either. I'm expecting any sort of temperature as I know April can be inconsistent.

for me... there is nothing worse than being either too hot or too cold. So I go with a 2-3 season sleeping bag ( synthetic and inexpensive ) . Most albergues have blankets and you can also add layers ( t shirts etc ) if needed

Make sure it packs down well and preferably has its own stuff sack

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
No, it's from Feathered Friends (the Flicker Quilt). Be prepared for sticker shock if you look it up.

I bought mine a decade ago as a buy-it-for-life purchase and it has served me well, not just on the Camino. But definitely not for everyone.

I covet! Feathered Friends is very nice!

I like this option, especially the adjustment at your feet. I don’t like anything too tight. Also, it equally expensive to my other option, th Sea to Summit down spark bag. Muchos Gracias!
both are great options!- the sts down spark is fantastic -packs down to nothing-if not too constricting for you!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As you were told many opinions, I'm in the same position, and feel as though I'm opting for my silk liner with the option of this that I've found on the internet at 450g.

Buen Camino, I start out from SJPD on the 10th so a week behind you.

If people are sleeping in a down bag every night, it helps to throw it in a dryer every so often. Just the moisture lost from your body will impede down's performance. You'll find the down can get "stuck" together. I toss my down bag in a large dryer for about 20 minutes, like once a week or so while on trail. It really does feel twice as warm when it's been dried and fluffed up.

I’m starting the Camino Frances from SJPDP on April 3, ‘24. I’m on the fence whether to bring an ultralight sleeping bag since it could be near freezing this time of year. My thinking now is less is more. I do have a silk liner and some warm layers I could wear to bed. I’ll appreciate any and all opinions! Buen Camino!
For me May to September liner, and October to April my lightweight sleeping bag that weigh
For me I just carry my lightweight down sleeping bag that weighs 245g and packs really small, I was happy to have it the end of last October on the Portuguese when there was storms and heavy rain for a week and some albergues it was quite cold with only three people in it, and if it gets too hot I open the zip or sleep on top of it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As you were told many opinions, I'm in the same position, and feel as though I'm opting for my silk liner with the option of this that I've found on the internet at 450g.

Buen Camino, I start out from SJPD on the 10th so a week behind you.
Thank you! I’m definitely taking more than just a liner, but haven’t decided on what yet but leaning towards a quilted blanket. You’ll probably catch up to me! 😂. I plan on taking my time and spend extra rest days in some of the nice towns.

Love my sleeping bag but my wife did not use hers much (CF Sept-Oct). I sleep cold, she sleeps hot.
SO - try before you go, adjust your bedroom or sleep on verandah to get the target temperature and see what works for you.

I started 2nd May in 2022. I had a very light down bag and a silk liner. I slept in the liner every night, most nights the bag was zipped open and draped over my feet. I could pull it up blanket style if it was chilly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you! I’m definitely taking more than just a liner, but haven’t decided on what yet but leaning towards a quilted blanket. You’ll probably catch up to me! 😂. I plan on taking my time and spend extra rest days in some of the nice towns.
Yes thats my plan as well, a slow walk taking in the sights. Buen Camino

I started around April 5 last year. I took an ultra light quilt (440g) rated ‘comfort level ~7-10 degrees C’ and a silk/cotton liner. I was more than warm enough - especially as the weather warmed up. If you feel cold, wear your beanie, socks, extra clothes and fleece to bed.

Last edited:
Honestly I have had my down bag for about 15 years now and I wash it and tumble dry it without much special treatment. Turn it inside out and zip up everything first. My regular laundry soap is the kind without dyes, brighteners, or softeners. I usually wash it in a front loader, but have washed it in a top loader without issues. I do store it in a bigger cloth bag at home so as not to compress the loft though. Follow your manufacturers guidelines and you should be fine.
With the newer ultra light bags especially, people should be careful moving the bag when it’s wet and heavy as the internal baffles that keep the down in place can be damaged. Not an issue for a bag without baffles (seams sewed all the way) through.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.