• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Sleeping bag

KieranM

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo + Norte (2017)
Via de la Plata (2018)
Sureste + Frances + Valdinese (2019)
All by bike
I am cycling the Via de la Plata in a couple of weeks time. I realise it will be hot during the day (at least until a few days in as I head north) but are the nights cold enough to merit taking a sleeping bag ?

I really didn't need one last year on the Primitivo/Norte routes, and most (all ?) albergues seem to supply a blanket anyway.

Thoughts/ advice most welcome

kieran

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Kieran
Have just completed the Seville to Salamanca section and from memory all albergues had blankets. I did carry a sleeping bag and used it several times although I think just a sleeping sheet and their blankets would have been sufficient.
Yes it is also getting warmer.
A fellow pilgrim from Quebec only used a silk sleeping sheet and was very happy.
Buon Camino
Happymark

Thanks happymark

I had a sleeping bag on the Primitivo/Norte last year and rarely used it, and even then open as a sort of blanket. Its not heavy but it does take up space. I think I'll chance it with just the cotton inner and hope there is always a blanket available.

Buen camino

kieran

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum