• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

South Africa - Cape Camino

Carli

Time of past OR future Camino
Past : Léon to Santiago de Compostela
Future : ?
I recently heard about Cape Camino in South Africa, have any of you already experienced it ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I recently heard about Cape Camino in South Africa, have any of you already experienced it ?
Never heard of it, but a quick Google brings plenty of stuff up. Sounds beautiful, however, I can't help wondering how safe it would be walking the route with everything you hear?

I've looked into it. Just my personal opinion: it looks like a nice walking route, but (again, IMHO) it's not what I would call a Camino. By that I mean it's not a traditional pilgrimage nor do I see much that lends itself to the spiritual aspect. But again, you can pray and connect with a higher power. wherever you walk, so call it what you want.

Seems to be very new and it worries me a bit that slapping the name "Camino" or "pilgrimage" on any overnight walking route is becoming a common marketing gimmick that cheapens the the meaning of those words.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've looked into it. Just my personal opinion: it looks like a nice walking route, but (again, IMHO) it's not what I would call a Camino. By that I mean it's not a traditional pilgrimage nor do I see much that lends itself to the spiritual aspect. But again, you can pray and connect with a higher power. wherever you walk, so call it what you want.

Seems to be very new and it worries me a bit that slapping the name "Camino" or "pilgrimage" on any overnight walking route is becoming a common marketing gimmick that cheapens the the meaning of those words.
I totally agree with you!

The Cape Camino has its own identity and is not to be compared with the traditional historical Camino de Santiago pilgrimage. South Africa is in many ways a hidden gem, a beautiful country worth exploring. The Cape Camino will be well organised and more structured. It will be safe and secure with pilgrims walking in a group. The choices will allow flexibility as there will be different sections from which to choose. Meals at guest house accommodation will be included in the price. It is best to be able to be able to speak English, though Dutch and Flemish folk may be able to understand Afrikaans. Also look at the Pilgrimage of Hope from Uniondale to Mossel Bay.
South Africans fell in love with the Camino de Santiago and the idea of pilgrimage, especially the last 15 years or so. We have an excellent support organisation in Cape Town the Confraternity of St James of South Africa through whom we obtain our pilgrims passport etc. We love being able to walk safely in Europe, even solo traveling. We are sad that this is not always possible in our own country. Our best hiking is done on beautiful trails in groups eg the 5 day Whale Trail in the De Hoop nature reserve (book on 1 Sept 2024 for Sept 2025) and the Otter trail in Tsitsikamma on the Garden Route. To do this Fly to Cape Town and then to George airport. Rent a car and drive 2hrs to Storms River Mouth, SA National Parks. There are also beautiful trails at Robberg and Nature's Valley along the way.
Be vigilant in the big cities. Keep your possessions and car locked. Don't expose expensive cell phones, laptops and cameras. Best not to walk alone in the street at night. Use an Uber or a Bolt taxi, app available for mobile phone. Hike in a group. Perhaps better to avoid the hot summer months Dec, Jan and Feb. And the July, Aug winter. Hope this is helpful. Kind regards.

I quite agree. Here in South Africa there are numerous 'Camino's on offer. Its a good selling point, but none of them remotely resemble the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back