• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staging on Norte/Primitivo (Hospitales)

TracitaEnCamino

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Norte--Primitivo
Hi!
I know the etapas or stages are clearly defined, but I am wondering how long the Norte/Primitivo (and if you do hospitales) route would take if you simply followed the stages. I can't control the unexpected, but my hope is to finish the entire route in about 32 days. With that said, I wonder if I will have to do 1.5 stages at times in order to finish. If I do Hospitales, will I be tacking on more miles? (still seems worth it). Can someone who has done these routes chime in? I am going to use the Wise Pilgrim app and I also have a guidebook, but I'm trying to figure out the mileage math and the breakdown prior to going. If I need to rest one day, I'll want to figure out how many more miles I'll need to walk in order to arrive to Santiago in time.

Thanks!

Tracey

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know the etapas or stages are clearly defined

No, they aren't. Each one makes the stages s/he wants. Guidebooks (and similar) are just that: guides. You are free to make whatever stages you want. There's people that have to make short stages due to health issues. OTOH, there's other people that likes to make long stages because they are fit and short of time. There are others who like to avoid the ending points suggested on (popular) guidebooks (webs, apps...) as much as possible in order to have a quiter experience...

Hi!
I know the etapas or stages are clearly defined, but I am wondering how long the Norte/Primitivo (and if you do hospitales) route would take if you simply followed the stages. Tracey

Hi Tracey,
The only "etapas" that matter are the ones that you work out for yourself: the Guidebook ones are just that - a guide! If you have the app, and a guidebook (which one? they do vary in usefulness!) you have all that you need. The total kilometers - not miles - are given on sites like Gronze, as are the elevations. Try here if you have not already found it. http://www.gronze.com/camino-norte
It is in Spanish but the distances are easy to understand. Try thinking in kilometers rather than miles, about 4 kilometers an hour is a reasonable speed unless you are a fit and well practised walker. The Hospitales route is actually some 2 kilometers shorter than going by Pola de Allande and must be done as one stage - no accommodation between Borres and Berducedo.
Enjoy your planning!
Tio Tel

I fully agree with Castllian's comment above!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you both for the wonderful responses! I do know about Gronze and I speak/read Spanish, so that will be helpful! I have a feeling this will all make more sense to me when I'm actually walking. My aim is to do about 5km per hour depending on the elevation gain, terrain, etc. I am an avid runner and walker-- a fast hiker in general, but I've never done consecutive 30-34 km day trips. I'll have to build up to that. I enjoy walking fast, but also want to equally enjoy my surroundings and stop in areas that I'd like to spend more time on. I have the "The Northern Caminos" guidebook by Perazzoli and Whitson and I plan to get Wise Pilgrim on my phone-- may not bring the book. Does Gronze have an app? Or maybe I'll just check it out when I have wifi.

I love San Sebastain and it would be fun to stay there for a bit, but not sure if it is worth pusing on to ORIO instead for the first night. I suppose I can see how I feel. I imagine that in San Sebastian, you have to walk down into the city/town and find the different albergues/pensions. There are lots of them and could possibly be overwhelming?

Tripadvisor alone refers to 119 hotels & pensions, and Gronze 10 as well as 3 albergues-- San Sebastian/Donostia is a major city of 453,000 inhabitants. However, I found the turismo staff very helpful when I was there, and they will provide you with city maps with the Camino marked on them. Another option is to stay at Monte Igueldo, on the western outskirts, which saves you a long climb in the morning.

As far as stages are concerned, they are much much less defined than on the Francese, to the point that I'm not sure if it's a useful term. I have done the del Norte more than once and, while I do not know your physical condition or conditioning, I think that you might find 5km a tad ambitious. The first week of the del Norte involves lots of ups and downs (the gronze.com site will give you elevations), and the experience of consecutive days of hiking is very different. I would suggest that every 7th to 10th day be a rest or a very short one, but you'll find your own balance.

If you are indeed a fast hiker then close to 5km/hr is indeed within range - on gronze.com they seem to allow close to 4km/hr - but I've taken seven days and a morning to walk from Irun to Santander (12 gronze etapes) and walked all the way to Santiago in some 20 longish days (32 gronze etapes) - but I do travel pretty light (2.5kg plus liquid) and wear trail running shoes

Depending on time of year, you will also need to factor in the hours of daylight available and whether you need to finish earlier in some places in order to get a bed

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is no such thing as defined etapas. Just purchase a guide or use the ones online and figure out your own etapas.

Most read last week in this forum

My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back