• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

starting hopefully May 7

BetsyA

Time of past OR future Camino
starting my first in May 5 or 6 2015
Hi my name is Betsy from Florida, USA. I plane on arriving Paris May 5 and travel down to SJPDP on the 6th. This will be my first Camino. My biggest worry is language barrier. I do not speak any French or Spanish. I'm sure I will learn some Spanish along the way. I heard there is a train that leaves from airport. Is that true?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome Betsy, don't worry about the language barrier, just learn a few basic phrases like please, thank you, cafe con leche, etc. I'm not sure about the train but someone will be along with that info. Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Hi my name is Betsy from Florida, USA. I plane on arriving Paris May 5 and travel down to SJPDP on the 6th. This will be my first Camino. My biggest worry is language barrier. I do not speak any French or Spanish. I'm sure I will learn some Spanish along the way. I heard there is a train that leaves from airport. Is that true?

Hi Betsy, There are trains from all the Paris stations, including TGV express trains and also slower overnight sleeper trains. This is quite a good booking site in English loco2.com . An over night sleeper train from Paris to Bayonne is about 35€. The daytime TGV trains are much quicker and more expensive.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Firgot to say that Paris CDG has own station but Paris Orly has a transfer bus to the nearest station.

Wish you a great time and a Buen Camino, Peter.

You can also fly into Biarritz from Paris and take a local train to Sjpdp. Domestic flights leave from Orly. There is a bus transfer from cdg to Orly. Buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can also fly into Biarritz from Paris and take a local train to Sjpdp. Domestic flights leave from Orly. There is a bus transfer from cdg to Orly. Buen camino.
thank you so much for the info!

Betsy, there are loads of resources on this forum about traveling from Paris to Bayonne and onward to SJPdP. Please study them. I'm a gator out water in Pays Basque.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll be in Orisson on the 6th May.

Excellent, so you have overcome the first major hurdle of getting from the US to Orisson!
I assume you made a reservation there.

Excellent, so you have overcome the first major hurdle of getting from the US to Orisson!
I assume you made a reservation there.
Its Betsy who is from Florida, I'm just here around the corner, over France, before Germany. And yes, I have the reservation, paid.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is what I am doing. I'll be right behind you Betsy, SJPdP on the evening of May 8th. Buen Camino!

Hi Betsy

I arrive in Paris from Miami, FL on the 5th about 8:00 p.m. as well. I have a flight on the 6th from Paris to Biarritz about 7:45 a.m., then plan to taxi to SJPDP. I am starting my walk to Orisson on the 6th and have reservations there. I don't know if any of my plans with intersect with yours but if so and we can share a taxi to SJPDP that would be great. Let me know.

Buen Camino.

Hi BetsyA ,I am Mr Woo from Hong Kong ,I do not speak any French or Spanish too just speak a little bit of English that I had learn 35 years ago . I go Pamplona with my wife on May 4 and stay one night in Corazon Puro . http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html .May 5 morning they send us to SJPDP and we will stay one night there,may be we can see in SJPDP . May 6 start to go Orisson , May 7 stay Roncesvalles , May 8 stay Corazon Puro take back the thing .May 9 stay Larrasona .May 10 stay Pamplona ...because we have time

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi BetsyA ,I am Mr Woo from Hong Kong ,I do not speak any French or Spanish too just speak a little bit of English that I had learn 35 years ago . I go Pamplona with my wife on May 4 and stay one night in Corazon Puro . http://www.corazonpuro.es/Enghome.html .May 5 morning they send us to SJPDP and we will stay one night there,may be we can see in SJPDP . May 6 start to go Orisson , May 7 stay Roncesvalles , May 8 stay Corazon Puro take back the thing .May 9 stay Larrasona .May 10 stay Pamplona ...because we have time
I also will stay in Orrisson on the 6th. It's nice to know others will be on the trail that day.

Buen Camino.

I also will stay in Orrisson on the 6th. It's nice to know others will be on the trail that day.

Buen Camino.

Hey!!! Me too!!! May 6th Orrison. Wonder if we can recognise each other!
P.S. I don't look like my pic in the avatar :D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looking forward to meeting you. I look about the same. Usually sunglasses and blonde ponytail. I am glad you dont look like your avatar.LOL.

Buen Camino.

Thank you for your message. Will be on the look out for you and your wife!

Hi Betsy

I arrive in Paris from Miami, FL on the 5th about 8:00 p.m. as well. I have a flight on the 6th from Paris to Biarritz about 7:45 a.m., then plan to taxi to SJPDP. I am starting my walk to Orisson on the 6th and have reservations there. I don't know if any of my plans with intersect with yours but if so and we can share a taxi to SJPDP that would be great. Let me know.

Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Amy, I will be arriving in Paris also May 5 around 10 pm on Turkish Air, (long way around from Houston Tx) I planning on a train, no ticket yet, Bayonne, and I guess another to SJPP. Is the airfare from Paris resonable?

Looking forward to meeting you. I look about the same. Usually sunglasses and blonde ponytail. I am glad you dont look like your avatar.LOL.

Buen Camino.
I may also not try the full day to Roncesvalles and stay in Orisson. I too will have a blond pony tail, I am short with freckles lol. Hope to meet all of you!

I may also not try the full day to Roncesvalles and stay in Orisson. I too will have a blond pony tail, I am short with freckles lol. Hope to meet all of you!
Orisson only has something like 18 places, you should contact them and make a reservation (and pay). Or they may redirect you to other places.
Hope to meet you too :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Betsy

Buen Camino.
Taxi would be quite expensive, if you leave Paris at 7:45, you arrive in Biarritz early enough, you will have time to catch one of the trains to SJPdP. Probably can throw in some sightseeing in Biarritz too.

Hi Amy, I will be arriving in Paris also May 5 around 10 pm on Turkish Air, (long way around from Houston Tx) I planning on a train, no ticket yet, Bayonne, and I guess another to SJPP. Is the airfare from Paris resonable?
My flight from Orly cost me about $70 USD when I booked it - which was less than the train at the time and allowed me one night rest after a long travel day. Besides the 5th is my birthday and I need birthday dinner. I figured since I would be getting into Biarritz before 9 a.m. I would travel to SJPDP and then onto Orisson that afternoon. I have already booked my night over in Orisson. It looks like there is a flight on the morning of the 6th for about $180 USD but this depends on the airport. I will take the train from Bayonne to SJPDP since Caroline is unable to provide me with taxi service now - which I was only going to do if I had someone to share. I will look for you at the train station in Bayonne.

My flight from Orly cost me about $70 USD when I booked it - which was less than the train at the time and allowed me one night rest after a long travel day. Besides the 5th is my birthday and I need birthday dinner. I figured since I would be getting into Biarritz before 9 a.m. I would travel to SJPDP and then onto Orisson that afternoon. I have already booked my night over in Orisson. It looks like there is a flight on the morning of the 6th for about $180 USD but this depends on the airport. I will take the train from Bayonne to SJPDP since Caroline is unable to provide me with taxi service now - which I was only going to do if I had someone to share. I will look for you at the train station in Bayonne.
I appreciate you telling me about reservation in Orisson, attempting now to do so. I was not aware that you could do that. I'm a little nervous and a lot excited! Really never traveled alone. I think I better get my train ticket, I was thinking I'd "fly by the seat of my pants" lol
Well any more tidbits??

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am feeling the same as you. I was wondering if you purchased your train ticket yet. Did you decide on a morning train or an overnight train?

Hi Betsy/everyone going around May 7th yahoo!
My name is Ashley and myself, my husband Grant and my mum Michelle will start our camino on May 7th from SJPdP. We arrive in Paris CDG at 9.30 am on May 5th we are then catching a bus from airport to the Paris suburb of Monteparnasse, where we are staying the night in a relatively cheap place, La Maison, the next morning May 6th we are just a 10 minute walk from the Gare Monteparnasse station to catch our 12pm train ride to SJPdP? Possible option. We will more than probably see you along the way though. God Bless. :)

I you As
I am feeling the same as you. I was wondering if you purchased your train ticket yet. Did you decide on a morning train or an overnight train?
I Have not bought a ticket yet. What if planes de
Hi Betsy/everyone going around May 7th yahoo!
My name is Ashley and myself, my husband Grant and my mum Michelle will start our camino on May 7th from SJPdP. We arrive in Paris CDG at 9.30 am on May 5th we are then catching a bus from airport to the Paris suburb of Monteparnasse, where we are staying the night in a relatively cheap place, La Maison, the next morning May 6th we are just a 10 minute walk from the Gare Monteparnasse station to catch our 12pm train ride to SJPdP? Possible option. We will more than probably see you along the way though. God Bless. :)
Hi Ashley! I'm arriving late, 10 pm on the 5th, and staying at one of the airport hotels. There is a train that leaves CDG airport, and will travel to SJPDP on the 6th, if all goes well with plane transfers. Hope to meet your family along theway!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I you As

I Have not bought a ticket yet maybe I should. There is a site I can do so, in English too! I looked Amy Rapp on facebook, are you on there?

Hi Ashley! I'm arriving late, 10 pm on the 5th, and staying at one of the airport hotels. There is a train that leaves CDG airport, and will travel to SJPDP on the 6th, if all goes well with plane transfers. Hope to meet your family along theway!

Mr Woo, We will be in Pamplona the same time as you. We are coming from California USA. We will see if Corazon Puro has room for us. Thanks for the tip.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes. I am on Facebook. Send me a friend request Amy Rapp in Amelia, Ohio.
Hi Amy, Betsy, Ashley, Grant, Michelle and Mr. Woo. You all will be a day or so ahead of me on the Camino and I would ask if you could share any points of special interest that you think might be a must see. I will monitor the Camino app places and forum. I just do not want to walk by a special church or albergue when I am that near. Thank you for any consideration of my scouting party, lol.

Orisson only has something like 18 places, you should contact them and make a reservation (and pay). Or they may redirect you to other places.
Hope to meet you too :)
Sorry but the albergue Orrison has about 43 places, Buen Camino , Peter.

Hi Amy, Betsy, Ashley, Grant, Michelle and Mr. Woo. You all will be a day or so ahead of me on the Camino and I would ask if you could share any points of special interest that you think might be a must see. I will monitor the Camino app places and forum. I just do not want to walk by a special church or albergue when I am that near. Thank you for any consideration of my scouting party, lol.
Happy to forward any notable info to you.

Buen camino! !

They put tents out in the back garden.
Yes, those you can see on Google Street View. But at beginning of May - wouldn't it be coldish at night? In April live reports from that part of Camino were "full of snow". Although here the weather reports for SJPdP are quite good: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=pws:IISPOURE2

Is it allowed to walk Napoleon route during rain? What happens with Orisson reservation if the route is closed because of the weather? Should have asked them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We had a lovely sunny walk up to Orisson but late afternoon the rain started and I felt sorry for the folk in the tents but I guess better than nothing and they could use all the facilities and join in the communal meal.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.