• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Struggling on the Le Puy

• Thread starter Former member 59618
  • Start date
my experience every time and all the way ... 2019 was the best experience for me when I walked 6 weeks solo ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are struggling and hope the situation has eased for you. I walked from LPV to Cahors in 2019 and felt out of sorts because we had booked accommodation in advance. It was a jolt after the Camino Frances where we never knew where each day would end and trusted 'the camino will give you what you need'. The pre-booked accommodation really tested that old lore, not because of anything material but it removed us from the throng of pilgrims we met.
Like you too, my husband and I only spoke limited French. We were fortunate to befriend a wonderful couple from Switzerland when I decided I had nothing to loose from enthusiastically mentioning to my (assumed French) friend that the top she was wearing was from our home town in New Zealand. They happily responded in English and have since become dear friends. I guess the old-rule of beginning in whatever French you have can still help occasionally.
Challenges aside in hindsight the route revealed so much to me of its history, and of myself and how I did and didn't do so well at accepting the challenges I met. This is not to go on about me, but to let you know that you are not alone in having these experiences. There is absolutely no shame in following Daniel's advice either - he might indeed represent the Camino giving you what you need. Buen Camino! Catherine

This post is from September 2019

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum