• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Taking pack on the plane?

ghostinyou

I am thinking of buying a new pack. I found one that is comfortable and fits well. It's 55L. Bigger than I wanted but the fit is good for me. And I won't pack it full. My question - I would like to know if people who had same size pack were able to take it as a carry on without problem? I know...I know....check airline size and compare to pack. I did. It's mighty close. In fact the height of pack (as posted online) is about 3 in too big. But I figure I can scrunch it down since not full. I just would like to hear if anyone was able/not able to use theirs as a carry on. I really don't want to check as I am traveling onward post-camino so will be checking a suitcase. Don't want to pay $100 for second checked bag PLUS I think it would stress me out not having my gear with me! I am flying from the US on Lufthansa. Thank you very much!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I travelled Perth - Madrid via Dubai this year with my brand new Aarn lightweight backpack. In order to protect it from damage (and loss) en route, I put it inside an ancient battered suitcase which I abandoned once I arrived. This also meant that my walking pole was out of sight and not an apparent threat to security. On the way back, I bought a very cheap bag to do the same job. Having checked-in luggage means that you can take a pocket knife and scissors.
M.

Since you haven't bought a new pack, look at something smaller in the 30L-40L size, I know the bigger packs have more padding, as long as you keep the weight down, a smaller pack will be comfortable as well, and you eliminate the carry on size issues with a smaller pack.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum