• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Carry-on packs

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Different airlines have different size limits. You need to check with the one you book with. Usually a pack of that size should be ok. One point to check: if there is a rigid backplate for the pack then make sure it is shorter than the airline's maximum length. Otherwise a soft pack about 35l will usually squash into the airline's cabin baggage sizing crate.

Hola all. Wanting to utilize the wisdom on this forum. I have to decide whether to take a 34 or 36 liter pack on my first Camino. I don’t want to check anything. Generally speaking, will this size pack be small enough, fully loaded, to take as Carry-on? Thanks!
Hi, @montyhiker,

Welcome to the forum. I think the best answer to the backpack question is to check with the airlines you are going to travel with, because there is a lot of variation among the major airlines. But I think that in general, the sizes you mention shouldn’t be problematic. I have a bigger pack that is never full, I’m not sure if it’s 40 L, and it always fits into the overhead. I always travel on American/Iberia/One World.

If your pack has a top section that is removable, that’s another way to make sure you get it on. Use the top pocket as your personal item and the pack will almost certainly fit in the overhead fully loaded.

So much fun to be planning for your first Camino, you’ve come to the right place! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My pack is sometimes a bit too tall for a carry on, and the top isn't removable. So I have packed some of my clothes and other soft stuff in a pillow case at the top of my pack. Then I hauled it out before boarding so my pack would be short enough; the pillow case became my personal item. I have either used my soft stuff in the pillowcase for a pillow during the flight or stuffed it in my pack again after boarding. The pillowcase is also good as a laundry sack on the camino. I suppose a compression stuff sack would work as well or better.

We were able to carry on backpacks bags this winter ranging from 36 to 65 liters on Lufthansa, United,, Delta, and American carriers. On our short leg on Iberia from Madrid to Santiago, there was a woman who looked at each bag from the airlines and pronounced whether it had to be gatechecked or not. My bag is 42 liters and anything that size and above was required by her to be checked. To be fair, there would not have been room under the seat or in the overhead bin for these and she also made people with larger rollerboards check as well.

My bag is 42 liters and anything that size and above was required by her to be checked.
That’s a good point, even if your bag makes it as a carry-on on a US carrier, you might have to deal with another airline’s regulations. But the beauty is that gate-checking is SO much less worrisome than regular check-in, because you are sure that it got on the plane with you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola all. Wanting to utilize the wisdom on this forum. I have to decide whether to take a 34 or 36 liter pack on my first Camino. I don’t want to check anything. Generally speaking, will this size pack be small enough, fully loaded, to take as Carry-on? Thanks!
Hey Monty, just my two cents. There are may be a couple of items in my gear that would be problematic getting through TSA security checks if my pack were carry-on (e.g., pocket knife). I also hate unpacking my pack at the TSA line if there is an issue. So, I’d prefer to make my pack checked baggage. Bonus: won’t have to hassle squeezing it into overhead bins.

So, I’d prefer to make my pack checked baggage
Those words can only be spoken by those lucky pilgrims whose checked bags have never been lost at the start of a camino. I know the rate of loss is very small (though it has increased a LOT) but it is also true that every year we hear reports on the forum of someone whose bag didn’t arrive. Of course it’s not the end of the world, but the hassles and disruptions that follow are unpleasant and unnecessary. It took me a long time to get the perfect packing list, replacing it at the last minute in Spain would be impossible.

If you are bringing things that you think will cause a TSA or security problem, I would do one of two things — buy the item in Spain, or check a small tube/box with knife and whatever else you want to bring along. I have had my poles go missing, which caused a last-minute slightly frantic scramble to buy some new ones, but if it had been my pack instead of my poles in a tube, I would have been a very unhappy peregrina.

It’s impossible to tell you for sure. Airlines have different measurements and tolerances for backpacks and empty versus full flights also create different rulings from gate staff, European size limits are smaller than US ones, some airlines only allow underseat bags (RyanAir!) with their basic tickets, the L/XL version of a backpack is actually larger than the S/M version even though the liter capacity printed on the bag will remain the same, weight limits are sometimes applied to carryon bags regardless of size, and on and on. Even your size as a person matters as the same 36L bag on me (6’, 250lbs) looks enormous on my petite wife and may get pulled for gate-checking. Your ticket class matters, too, as my Camino friend routinely takes his giant 80L bag as carry-on but he flies first class so they don’t question it. Too many variables for us to give you a clear answer without knowing everything about your flight.

IN GENERAL, 40L and under seems to be the magic size for carryon as long as you do not overpack it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Those words can only be spoken by those lucky pilgrims whose checked bags have never been lost at the start of a camino. I know the rate of loss is very small (though it has increased a LOT) but it is also true that every year we hear reports on the forum of someone whose bag didn’t arrive. Of course it’s not the end of the world, but the hassles and disruptions that follow are unpleasant and unnecessary. It took me a long time to get the perfect packing list, replacing it at the last minute in Spain would be impossible.

If you are bringing things that you think will cause a TSA or security problem, I would do one of two things — buy the item in Spain, or check a small tube/box with knife and whatever else you want to bring along. I have had my poles go missing, which caused a last-minute slightly frantic scramble to buy some new ones, but if it had been my pack instead of my poles in a tube, I would have been a very unhappy peregrina.
Having only two previous Caminos, I guess I’ve been lucky. Just hate TSA lines, lugging carry-on bags down narrow aisles and squeezing them into overheads. I’ll take my chances.

We were able to carry on backpacks bags this winter ranging from 36 to 65 liters on Lufthansa, United,, Delta, and American carriers. On our short leg on Iberia from Madrid to Santiago, there was a woman who looked at each bag from the airlines and pronounced whether it had to be gatechecked or not. My bag is 42 liters and anything that size and above was required by her to be checked. To be fair, there would not have been room under the seat or in the overhead bin for these and she also made people with larger rollerboards check as well.
For the first time ever the Lufthansa agent in Madrid made me check my backpack this fall after it wouldn’t fit in the sizing template they brought over. The template was much smaller than the overhead bins on the plane, but it was the rigidity of the frame that kept my backpack from fitting in the sizer not the length or width. They checked 3 other people’s bags and there were nearly 10 empty spots on the flight making all that unnecessary. The gate agent did not make his friends or employees put their bags in the sizer. As a result of this and all the other issues I had I won’t be flying Lufthansa again.
I now have a bag from Gossamer gear backpack which doesn’t have the rigid, arched hip belt, and will fit that sizer easy.

Some excellent answers above, especially that from @Vacajoe . There are just so many variables.

Ignore the number of litres so long as it's within the range ( 32 to 40) that you're looking at, concentrate solely on comfort and the dimensions.

Most airlines have a maximum carry on length of around 55/ 56 cm for the majority of their 'economy' tickets - some are even smaller. As a couple of people have commented above: check the regulations of whatever airline/s you're considering using.
As has been said previously on here on numerous occasions, (specifically in relation to variants on this question),
just because one person gets away with something does not mean you will. As @DTCamino experienced, you only need one individual being officious to create a problem.

There are multiple relatively recent threads on the forum expressing how strictly the airlines are currently enforcing this, with only a few people saying they had no issues. Many of whom last walked years ago. It’s your risk.

Personally I use a Deuter 32 litre, which fits the relevant regulations (one of my considerations when buying it).
It's more than big enough, and for me very comfortable.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have carried my Osprey Manta 34 on several flights. On a recent Lufthansa flight out of Barcelona, the staff was scrutinizing all carry-ons but didn't give more a second look. The Manta is just a bit shorter and wider than other hiking packs that I own. It's listed as 24 inches in height, but that is with the top fully loaded. It easily measures under 22 inches (some airline's limit) when packed for the plane.

I have a 48L and my wife a 36L both have never been a problem in the overhead space, and we collapse our trekking poles inside the packs.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My Osprey Atmos 36 is, from memory, 2cms over the height limit for the airlines I usually use to travel to Spain. There's plenty of space for the other dimensions but that's no help in the luggage measuring frame.
The problem is the backplate which is rigid.
So risk it or check it. I check the bag as I can also take a penknife and hiking poles.

To save luggage charges we tie two packs together in a travel bag and therefore only check one item.

I carried my 36L Osprey pack from Charlottesville through Charlotte with no issues. I didn't bring my poles. I bought poles in Pamplona and checked everything for my return flight.

My Osprey Atmos 36 is, from memory, 2cms over the height limit for the airlines I usually use to travel to Spain. There's plenty of space for the other dimensions but that's no help in the luggage measuring frame.
So risk it or check it. I check the bag as I can also take a penknife and hiking poles.

To save luggage charges we tie two packs together in a travel bag and therefore only check one item.
Agree about checking travel bags. My wife and I checked two travel bags, one for each pack, and had to pay extra to American Airlines for each one. On the way home, we figured out that we could put the larger pack, plus a lot of loose items, like souvenirs, the other person's poles, clothes, pocket knife, etc., in one checked travel bag and carry on the mostly empty smaller pack. If we had thought of that from the beginning, it would have saved us both money and dealing with the second travel bag. Lesson learned.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is no such thing as guaranteed check-on luggage! The airline can require you to check luggage of any size at any time.

The best you can do is increase your odds by having the carry-on size as specified by the airline and boarding early.

When the bins are fully, you will be forced to check your carry-on.

-Paul

Mine was larger because that's the size I had. So I went to the airport and up to the desk of the carrier I was going to be on and they helped me figure out that carry on was perfectly fine! I took an extra small box that I sent under which had my poles and my knife. It worked perfectly. I'd say there's no one right way, but checking with your airline is not a bad plan!

I walked the full Portuguese from September to mid October with a Gregory Jade 28 litre and it was large enough for all my needs. I have travelled with this same backpack in Europe and North America and it has always been accepted as carry-on. I also always wear a very small waist pack just large enough to my passport, phone, credential and money. I highly recommend this as your essentials are always on your body when you have to be apart from your pack. My total pack weight was 6.2kg, Your pack can be smaller and lighter if walking in the warm months. I deliberately chose the smallest pack I could get away with because I did not want to be tempted to carry anything that I didn't really need.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

My Osprey Sirrus 36 always meets the frame requirements traveling on International flights from the US. I see you are from the UK, and assume you fly Ryanair or similar.

I have walked 8 caminos all with a 45L pack. I have flown Iberia, Tap Portugal, Level, United and American and have never been even questioned about the size of my pack. My pack has always fit in the overhead without a problem.

I have walked 8 caminos all with a 45L pack. I have flown Iberia, Tap Portugal, Level, United and American and have never been even questioned about the size of my pack. My pack has always fit in the overhead without a problem.
Thank you ALL for your responses! I’ve packed my Osprey 34 at under 12 pounds. I’m so nervous and excited to do this. Can’t wait, and hope to see some of my fellow Pilgrims on the trail from SJPDP to Santiago!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It depends on the airline, on long distance flights I think it should be ok but Ryanair the biggest budget short haul airline in Europe it's free to carry on one bag that can fit under the seat but you have to pay to fit a bag in the overhead bin and I always have to pay extra to carry on my 33L backpack to store it in the overhead bin.

They took your poles? I thought that was never an option for carry on...
Sometimes people are allowed to take them onboard. Often they are confiscated by airport security. There is no simple rule. Personally I would not gamble on losing an expensive pair of poles that way. I buy a cheap set on arrival.

€149,-
It seems the majority who have Black Diamond brand or similar "bungee" style poles that collapse smaller than most three part telescoping poles are able to bring them successfully in their backpacks.

Sometimes people are allowed to take them onboard. Often they are confiscated by airport security. There is no simple rule. Personally I would not gamble on losing an expensive pair of poles that way. I buy a cheap set on arrival.
That's what I do now, after losing a couple of pairs on my early Caminos. I never choose to check my backpack or other items so bringing them is not an option for me.

It depends on the TSA / EASA (security) regulations in your country of origin (potentially, your region/State too if you’re flying out of the USA) and how rigorously enforced they are. Potentially, any transfer points too, should you happen to have to go through security there as well.
Flying out of Germany they are allowed. Flying out of Spain, definitely not!

But that’s not to say that one day as I go through security in Berlin or Frankfurt that I won’t run foul of an officious security officer who decrees otherwise.
Our individual opinions and experiences are completely irrelevant. The rules are the rules, and they are subject to the interpretation and enforcement by the security officers on the day.
Realistically, who do you think is going to win that argument?

The second issue is the airline regulations. Some airlines allow them, some don’t. But the airlines don’t X-ray your bag - so what they can’t see…. . Yet another good reason to have rubber tips on your poles!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mine was larger because that's the size I had. So I went to the airport and up to the desk of the carrier I was going to be on and they helped me figure out that carry on was perfectly fine! I took an extra small box that I sent under which had my poles and my knife. It worked perfectly. I'd say there's no one right way, but checking with your airline is not a bad plan!

My Osprey Sirrus 36 always meets the frame requirements traveling on International flights from the US. I see you are from the UK, and assume you fly Ryanair or similar.
Despite many things in the UK having gone to hell in a hand-basket in recent years there is, thankfully, nothing as yet which might fairly be described as ‘similar’ to Ryanair

I have a 48L and my wife a 36L both have never been a problem in the overhead space, and we collapse our trekking poles inside the packs.
So, you had no problem getting your collapsed trekking poles through security? I didn't think you could take trekking poles in hand luggage as they are likely to be confiscated by the airline.

€149,-
So, you had no problem getting your collapsed trekking poles through security? I didn't think you could take trekking poles in hand luggage as they are likely to be confiscated by the airline.
Four flight's so far, no problems. BUT: next time?
And what's in your bag has NOTHING to do with the airline.
See my post (#30) above.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back