• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

The lure of the open road

Paladina

old woman of the roads
Time of past OR future Camino
CF, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles etc (2018), Mozarabe etc (2019), tbc (2020)
My second camino begins as soon as I’ve sat my Spanish exam this Spring. I’ll arrive at Seville on May 22, spend a couple of days exploring the city before setting out on the open road - just me and my beloved bicycle, some bike tools, books, bivvy bag and a change of clothes. The only plan thereafter is not to plan ahead. I have a few weeks in which to reach Santiago by a very circuitous route. Last time I fell in love with Lugo, so it calls for a diversion. The itinerary will doubtless expand or contract according to the time remaining, but conversations and coffee breaks may make the journey shorter. I send advance greetings to all fellow pilgrims along the way, and gratitude to those forum members who have offered advice and inspiration.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
i did the vdlp in 2014 on a bike starting in malaga but in the summer which was quite a challenge. i remember being so happy when i got into the mountains of gallicia and out of the permanent heat. make sure to visit plasencia which is not on the camino but just a few km to the east. it an ancient town in the extremadura right out of a fairy tale, i spent a week there ...

Thanks for the recommendation - it sounds worth a detour.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum