• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Time to brush up on your Castellano

A

Anemone del Camino

New spelling rules, and a few letters are changing name or being droped from the alphabet. Also many accents dropped!

Of particualar Camino interest, "san" or "santo" will no longer be capitalised. Our Saint is now san Santiago Apostol, not San Santiago Apostol.

Also, Don Juan is now just don Juan, while words of English origin must be in italic, unless their spelling is "spanishticised".

http://www.elclubdeloslibrosperdidos.org/2017/05/nuevas-reglas-de-la-rae-ultima-entrega_2.html

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"san" or "santo" will no longer be capitalised. Our Saint is now san Santiago Apostol, not San Santiago Apostol.

Interesting. I'm not sure I can remember ever hearing our saint tautologously called San (or san) Santiago. Santiago with a capital S will do. As we sometimes echo Don Quixote, muttering to ourselves when toiling through the meseta or over high passes in hot weather, ¡Santiago y cierra España!

In Spain we don´t say "San Santiago". We say "Santiago", which is a contraction of "Sant Yago" in Old Castilian.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In Spain we don´t say "San Santiago". We say "Santiago", which is a contraction of "Sant Yago" in Old Castilian.
Yes, yes,. Yet is some litterature it still comes up like that. Should have give san Roque as an example. And why didn't I think of san Salvador?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Anemone del Camino for the link to the document. This is interesting. Note, some of the "changes" were already in use in some castellano speaking countries, such as pronouncing the letter "y" as "YE" and the letter "v" as "UVE" . . . Buena suerte with your castellano y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Buena suerte with your castellano y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
I'm too old to make changes to my Castellano. W will remain doble U, v will remain V de vaca, but one thing I will do is push these new rules even further when it comes to the tilde and keep not using it anywhere.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum