• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to do different next time?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Plan shorter stages. 30km days and I don't get along.
Take fewer things (no backup anything except my highly refined glasses and my meds, no umbrella, disposable ponchos, no liquid soap/shampoo....YMMV).
No punishing expectations ( no "I should be able to's.. ")
More Spanish...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Carry less, ok - what will you leave behind and why?
My gear is only about 6.5 kg + food and water now.
I would aim to drop a kg I think.
Chuck out the just in case items.
third underwear and socks.
some med supplies.
less food, i carry too much.

As much as possible try to have the set of clothes i'm wearing.
a spare set.
and anything else needs to fight it's way into my pack..........

It's not really about specific items.
It's more of a mindset thing.

I think we often start with 10 kg of gear and try to trim it down........
Rather than start with nothing, and ask ourselves what we 'really' need.
Gotta, stop packing those fears............

Last edited:
That really depends on what you brought the first time!

For my second Camino Francés I tried to stop in different towns than I had the first time as much as possible.

I'm going to try not to repeat routes anymore.
For me, part of the joy is the unknown of a new route.

In the past I have walked long days - 30 or 40km was no trouble.
In the past I have not booked accommodation.
This time I am recovering from tendonitis in both Achilles and my rehab plan is limiting my distances significantly. For that reason I am sometimes going to book accommodation so that I make sure I don't go too far.
This time I have also booked into the Monasterio Cisterciense Santa María de San José near Alloz (just before Lorca) for a week near the beginning of my walk. I have never done that before but Madre Rosa has been so welcoming in her emails that I am certain this is going to be a wonderful addition to my walk!
In the past I have never doubted I would get to Santiago....this time I will be surprised if I do! I might make it to Portomarin, or if I can't manage the hills (O'Cebreiro) it may just be Ponferrada (and then a week at Sobrado monastery perhaps and/or bus ahead to Santiago and walk out to Muxia)
I really have no idea!!
This time I will also be walking alone instead of with between three and eight of my kids and a husband and father-in-law.
On previous caminos I have brought along a pair of socks to knit. This time I'm bringing a cross stitch to work on.
In the past I have blogged every single day - this time I am going to focus on my written journal and will blog only incidentally.
As you can see, what you would do differently depends on what you did the first time, constraints you now have (time, budget, health, for example), newfound freedoms, personality you might have, personal determinants (from "I couldn't possibly carry my own pack" to "I must walk every step")

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Robo I too didn't want to repeat routes....and this next camino was supposed to be from Almeria....until my Achilles packed up and now I am grateful to be hitting the Disneyland path rather than staying home.
And after walking a full week in constant rain from Sevilla, I will ALWAYS bring a third pair of socks!!

some med supplies.

a spare set.

To take a puffer jacket, or not. That is the question?
I did, and never wore it!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Carry less.
Walk further.
Walk even slower ;)
All three if number two means; the Camino length!
I walk slow and hopefully with a good rhythm.
I am gob smacked at the manic speeds some pilgrims walk; i hear them coming from behind me and their poles a clicking like a high speed type writer !
Defo carry less; i cut a lot after my first and more after my second!
To many glothes, meds and electronics i also carried my umbrella the whole way and when it rained i never put it up cos i thought only a shower and they were
Woody

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nothing.

Why?

Do I think I'm perfect? Far from out. ( In fact, that's an understatement!) But I'm open to learning, open to change, and I try (frequently !) to be a better version of myself. A loner by nature, I've found -to my absolute surprise and delight - that I actually like the company of my fellow pilgrims on the trail. Equally, I value the times when I get to walk alone. I love helping people if I can; I have learnt to gracefully accept the help of others.

My backpack at 8 kilos weighs more than it needs to. But I'm happy with it. Some of that extra weight is electronics, some things I simply bring for my own comfort.
I've been a backpacker for many, many years, I am fully aware I could halve the weight for most of my trips, but I simply can't be bothered. It's only four kilos more, and this way I haven't spent a fortune on ultralight gear; I have my electronics, my spare pair of socks and underwear, my extra layer, my home dried fruit, cuppa soup and so forth. Things that I will very seldom use - but on those occasions to me they are invaluable, and well worth carrying.

I've walked when I was fit, healthy and in the peak of training. I've walked when I was injured, wondering if I'd even get to finish my first day, let alone my Camino.

I walk at the speed comfortable to me at the time. Sometimes I am that person overtaking you - although my poles never click!
At others I will be walking with the slowest Pilgrim on the trail at the time - frequently they're the most interesting.

My distance varies according to the time I have available. And, perhaps, the weather - I have zero interest in walking week after week in the pouring rain. Or, for that matter, in the snow. I look forward to the day that I can walk from the beginning of Spring to the end of autumn. However far that takes me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've learnt not to sweat the small stuff. Life, and the camino will be what they will be.

I start every day by opening my eyes.
I'm grateful for everything thereafter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Nothing.

Why?

Do I think I'm perfect? Far from out. ( In fact, that's an understatement!) But I'm open to learning, open to change, and I try (frequently !) to be a better version of myself. A loner by nature, I've found -to my absolute surprise and delight - that I actually like the company of my fellow pilgrims on the trail. Equally, I value the times when I get to walk alone. I love helping people if I can; I have learnt to gracefully accept the help of others.

My backpack at 8 kilos weighs more than it needs to. But I'm happy with it. Some of that extra weight is electronics, some things I simply bring for my own comfort.
I've been a backpacker for many, many years, I am fully aware I could halve the weight for most of my trips, but I simply can't be bothered. It's only four kilos more, and this way I haven't spent a fortune on ultralight gear; I have my electronics, my spare pair of socks and underwear, my extra layer, my home dried fruit, cuppa soup and so forth. Things that I will very seldom use - but on those occasions to me they are invaluable, and well worth carrying.

I've walked when I was fit, healthy and in the peak of training. I've walked when I was injured, wondering if I'd even get to finish my first day, let alone my Camino.

I walk at the speed comfortable to me at the time. Sometimes I am that person overtaking you - although my poles never click!
At others I will be walking with the slowest Pilgrim on the trail at the time - frequently they're the most interesting.

My distance varies according to the time I have available. And, perhaps, the weather - I have zero interest in walking week after week in the pouring rain. Or, for that matter, in the snow. I look forward to the day that I can walk from the beginning of Spring to the end of autumn. However far that takes me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've learnt not to sweat the small stuff. Life, and the camino will be what they will be.

I start every day by opening my eyes.
I'm grateful for everything thereafter.
“I start every day by opening my eyes.
I'm grateful for everything thereafter”

I love this! TY

The Epiphany from my last Camino: Stop trying to achieve too much, stay longer in the places that you love.
Even though I'm done with Caminos, that insight has come home with me in my life. I now stay longer in places that I love. Santiago de Compostela taught me that. Peace, Bob

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Would be fun to hear what you will do differently next Camino, practically or mentally. And, also the story why?
Mine:
1) know more Spanish words and phrases
2) bring a notebook and do some writing every day
Thinking of taking a sign to hang around my neck saying ' I've survived two out-of-hospital cardiac arrests'. ( and still can't stop doing Caminos)
I walked several days with a guy called Mal on my last one. He did Porto to Santiago and then Santiago- Muxia- Finisterre on crutches. We always joked that he got all the attention 🤣.
Meeting him again in May to do Camino Ingles plus Finisterre circuit. There's no friend like a Camino friend!!

I will be on my third camino this year on the Invierno - this time i’m fully ok with shorter stages and taking my time to stop and smell the roses - sit and meditate wherever strikes my fancy - arrive earlier to have time to wash my clothes and relax - go to mass in the evening. I had a rough camino last year from SJPP to Santiago with seriously infected blisters that required oral antibiotics and stopping for a few days and then ever so painfully making my way to Santiago as well as food poisoning. I still loved every minute of that camino but this time i just want to relax and fully enjoy !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have walked 2 weeks on the Portuguese, 6 weeks on the Northern/Primitivo, and 4 weeks on the Via Francigena...the one that I haven't done, and wonder if I should do, is the Frances.

@Robo I too didn't want to repeat routes....and this next camino was supposed to be from Almeria....until my Achilles packed up and now I am grateful to be hitting the Disneyland path rather than staying home.
And after walking a full week in constant rain from Sevilla, I will ALWAYS bring a third pair of socks!!
😂
I suspect that the Disneyland path is Sarria-Santiago? Don't think I ever will walk that way again, did Leon-Santiago in maybe the most crowded weeks, next time STJPDP to Leon (yes, know crowded too... ) SO, after that explore the other routes. Ha, ha, can't stop laughing of that Disneyland-name 🤣

Last edited:
I was a total novice on my one and only Camino thus far so hopefully learnt some lessons.
1) Foot care. Started in Astorga and by Rabanal got blisters. Later that day at Foncebadon my feet were not in great shape.Wrong size shoes and inadequate socks. It happened to be my birthday so had more than a few beers to forget about the pain. 😎
2) Pack Weight. 7.5kg. Will get this down.
3) Lodgings . Pre booked private rooms all the way. This May have only booked a few places I really want to stay in. Dorms for quite a few this time. God help my fellows Pilgrims !

It was a great experience and enjoyed every minute. Now even looking at the TMB. Who'd have thought it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Contain myself to about 20km\day (25 MAX)
DO NOT FORGERT to hydrate (I did couple of times and i do believe the dreaded blisters were the result)
Walk slower (not that i was running) but now that I am the "know it all Allmighty" I think I can just slow down.
More Spanish
Even more "history" (history is never enough for me so...)
Be able to hook up even it its for one night with some of the Forum members

😂
I suspect that the Disneyland path is Sarria-Santiago? Don't think I ever will walk that way again, did Leon-Santiago in maybe the most crowded weeks, next time STJPDP to Leon (yes, know crowded too... ) SO, after that explore the other routes. Ha, ha, can't stop laughing of that Disneyland-name 🤣
Actually, no! I'm starting in Pamplona, have ten weeks and don't expect to make it to Santiago on foot. That gives some perspective of just how short my days need to be! If I do find myself walking out of Sarria onto the Pilgrim Highway I will be DELIGHTED!! It will mean I'm recovering better than I could have hoped and I'll be setting my sights on Almeria for next year!

Would be fun to hear what you will do differently next Camino, practically or mentally. And, also the story why?
Mine:
I would speak with people, not sit down solo. Spoke 50 words and said a lot of buon caminos during my 315 kilometers from Leon to Santiago.
And I can speak finnish, swedish, english, german, some french and lots of Spanish. How shy can an lady of 76 years be.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mine:
Interesting question, I haven't read all the responses yet, but plan to. I'm currently planning my next Camino. For me:

1) Get a Spanish SIM card ahead of time. I've seen them on AMAZON. I waited to get mine until day 4 in Pamplona and wasted a lot of money on outrageous VERIZON international fees for a handful of GB of data daily. NEVER AGAIN!

2) I'm glad I stayed in Albergues the first two weeks, but I found I would much rather have a private room and bath at the end of the day. Everyone's going to feel differently about this one, but that was my lesson.

3) Contrary to popular wisdom in this forum, I would bring more stuff. Not a lot more, just more of the things I really need. I like the luggage forwarding services and found them to be extremely reliable. I would pack my meds and valuables in my pack and put the rest in a duffel bag that I would forward to the next location. This only works if you book ahead, which I did and am glad I did.

4) Bring a good raincoat instead of a flimsy poncho. Also, make sure it's a bright color. One day when it was raining and you are forced to hike the road instead of the trail. This happened to me coming down from the Iron Cross heading into Molinaseca. It was just too slow and dangerous to hike down the rocky wet trail, so i abandoned the trail for the road. Problem was, I was wearing a black poncho. Not great for visibility on a narrow tar road in the rain!

5) Consider bringing a better camera than my cell phone. I was disappointed with some of the photos. Especially those that required (digital) zooming. I'm still working on the feasibility of this. I want to bring a lightweight full frame SLR with a lightweight pancake lens. I found a harness that attaches to my backpack. See the attached photo. I took it on one 16-mile hike and it took some experience to mount and dismount the camera quickly. I think I need more experience before making a decision to bring it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240107_092813252_BURST001_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20240107_092813252_BURST001_TOP.jpg
    7.3 MB · Views: 26
I'm going to try not to repeat routes anymore.
For me, part of the joy is the unknown of a new route.
Good advice Robo, I met a number of people on my last Camino who had walked the same route multiple times. I don't know if it was a lack of imagination or fear of the unknown, either way, walking the Frances more than once, when there's many other way more interesting walks out there seems a waste to me.

€83,-
No need to be exclusive, use transport. We all have different views and issues, for me I have a degenerative spinal condition and after a couple of weeks the pain was so bad I could not go on. Thank you Jacotrans et al!
Oh and as far as "do different next time" would use them far sooner and more often

Mine:

1. Wear boots, not shoes.
2. Have rest days in major towns/cities and explore them more

I wouldn't fly into Paris again from Australia. I found it so much easier to fly into Madrid to do CF
I flew into Paris too (from Australia) then caught the train to Bayonne, then one to SJPDP. Did you start your Camino from Madrid, or travel back to SJPDP and start there? I'd be interested to hear what transport etc you used if you went back to France. Another Aussie I know flew into Barcelona.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What time of year did you go? This is my big question.
I've walked in both spring and summer. Carried my puffer and used it on both caminos. Yes in summer too. You really do never know what the weather is going to do.
That said it does depend an awful lot on which camino you're walking ( my summer camino was the Primitivo so mountainous) and whether you have other clothing layers that you can substitute should you need to.

I've walked in both spring and summer. Carried my puffer and used it on both caminos. Yes in summer too. You really do never know what the weather is going to do.
That said it does depend an awful lot on which camino you're walking ( my summer camino was the Primitivo so mountainous) and whether you have other clothing layers that you can substitute should you need to.
I am walking from SJPD starting the end of April. I am warm when walking but tend to run cold otherwise. It’s a super lightweight synthetic puffer, but I know that every piece of what I pack adds up. Currently I am at about 13% of my body weight with water and having no trouble with my pack at up to 10 miles. Will see how it goes as I start adding more miles this week to my training.

I am walking from SJPD starting the end of April. I am warm when walking but tend to run cold otherwise. It’s a super lightweight synthetic puffer, but I know that every piece of what I pack adds up. Currently I am at about 13% of my body weight with water and having no trouble with my pack at up to 10 miles. Will see how it goes as I start adding more miles this week to my training.
At the beginning of April you most definitely need to carry it. It's not unknown to get snow on the Frances during April.
By the way most of us wouldn't count the water or food when you considering pack to body weight percentage.
At the end of the day as you rightly point out it's about comfort not any so-called arbitrary percentage.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
1. Carry less. I can buy what i need if im missing anything.
2. Plan my walk better. Missed some key places and things I wanted to see and do.
3. Not take planned rest days unless I need to.
4. Shorten my distances to make the journey last longer.
5. Learn spanish. Missed some lovely opportunities to speak and exchange with locals.
6. Eat as many tomato flavoured chips as i want. They will be my electrolytes 😉

❤️

To take some zero days next time (hopefully this year). On my 2012 Frances, I so felt the (self-imposed) pressure of the calendar to "finish on time" to get to the next thing. I've been enjoying the "Jay Wanders Out" videos on YouTube, and his videos of the interiors of the cathedrals in Burgos and Leon make me regret that I just admired them from the outside and moved on... So I'm totally going to build in extra days to chill and explore should my hoped-for Porto --> Santiago --> Muxia Camino work out this fall!

Good advice Robo, I met a number of people on my last Camino who had walked the same route multiple times. I don't know if it was a lack of imagination or fear of the unknown, either way, walking the Frances more than once, when there's many other way more interesting walks out there seems a waste to me.
Some people don't understand why people walk the same route again. Some people don't understand why people won't. If hear a great song, I don't say "That was a great song. I never want to hear it again. There are too many other great songs out there and I don't have enough time to hear them all." If I eat a delicious dish, I don't say "That dish was delicious. I will never order it again. I won't have enough meals in my life to eat all the great dishes. I don't want to repeat one, no matter how much I loved it.' That kind of thinking makes no sense to me. I'm not saying that I want to hear only one song or eat one dish for the rest of my life. I'm also very open to walking new routes (as I think last summer shows). But to be determined never to repeat something that you enjoyed very much? That thinking is foreign to me.

P.S. I've also been known to reread books I love a lot. And God knows I'll never run out of great new books to read.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Some people don't understand why people walk the same route again. Some people don't understand why people won't. If hear a great song, I don't say "That was a great song. I never want to hear it again. There are too many other great songs out there and I don't have enough time to hear them all." If I eat a delicious dish, I don't say "That dish was delicious. I will never order it again. I won't have enough meals in my life to eat all the great dishes. I don't want to repeat one, no matter how much I loved it.' That kind of thinking makes no sense to me. I'm not saying that I want to hear only one song or eat one dish for the rest of my life. I'm also very open to walking new routes (as I think last summer shows). But to be determined never to repeat something that you enjoyed very much? That thinking is foreign to me.

P.S. I've also been known to reread books I love a lot. And God knows I'll never run out of great new books to read.
I guess I fall into the category of not wanting to walk a route again! Many folks are different and I totally get that and I totally understand that the ‘same’ route can deliver a totally different experience due to having different variables… towns you stay on, people you meet, weather, etc.

I don’t necessarily buy into your analogy re food or songs, as a ‘big purchase’ like a Camino is very significant and whilst not a ‘one off’, doing a repeat will most likely mean you don’t do something else ‘significant’. Food and music are pretty much constants in our life and you can listen to the same song and then listen to another are fews mins later. I have listened to 2 typing this!

All that said I totally get that if you find something you really love, are emotionally invested into, there is a great deal of logic to doing it again, rather than ‘take the risk’ of doing something different -and maybe regretting it. I think these sort of trades offs are pretty much the essence of life and people are different, with no right or wrong.

Last edited:
I don’t necessarily buy into your analogy re food or songs, as a ‘big purchase’ like a Camino is very significant and whilst not a ‘one off’, doing a repeat will most likely mean you don’t do something else ‘significant’. Food and music are pretty much constants in our life and you can listen to the same song and then listen to another are fews mins later. I have listened to 2 typing this!
They are all experiences. It is a difference of size, rather than kind. I can listen to a song and then a different one. I can go on a Camino and a different one the next year. Few of us on this forum only have two trips in our lives. Many go on trips every year. Certainly doing a repeat will mean that you don't do something else. But if you do repeat, that doesn't prevent you from trying a new route next year. Or so my (privileged) experience has been.

It's not about how big a purchase it is. A book isn't a huge purchase. But reading the same book again will mean that I can't read another great book. I can guarantee there isn't enough time in my life to read all of the great books out there. Every one I re-read means that there is one I won't have time in my life to read. Big or small purchase, choosing to repeat means that you are forgoing something new, because there is always more new than you have time for. Doesn't stop me from re-reading books though. (In fact, I'm in the midst of rereading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series right now.)

Mine:
1. Smaller bag with only necessities
2. Carry my bag the entire way 🤞🏻

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I found Paris to be extremely busy compared to Madrid. I caught train/ bus to SJPP from Madrid. It is so much easier to fly home from Madrid. On my recent CF, I caught a Veuling flight back Paris. They only fly twice per week. It was the end of the school holidays in France so the flight was full. I was worried they might cancel the flight as they had a weather event the previous three days in Santiago with high winds. All the flights were cancelled.There is no direct train to Paris from Santiago and the bus ride is extremely long and unreliable from reviews? I think Madrid, Porto and Barcelona would be preferable to Paris for me with better connections.

I found Paris to be extremely busy compared to Madrid. I caught train/ bus to SJPP from Madrid. It is so much easier to fly home from Madrid. On my recent CF, I caught a Veuling flight back Paris. They only fly twice per week. It was the end of the school holidays in France so the flight was full. I was worried they might cancel the flight as they had a weather event the previous three days in Santiago with high winds. All the flights were cancelled.There is no direct train to Paris from Santiago and the bus ride is extremely long and unreliable from reviews? I think Madrid, Porto and Barcelona would be preferable to Paris for me with better connections.
You don't have to fly home from the same airport that you fly into. You can fly to Paris and home from Santiago, Madrid, Porto, etc. Look for "multi-city" tickets. They are generally priced about the same as round trip tickets.

Mine:
Mine:
Walk with poles
Walk slower
Take more foot breaks (shoes off etc...)
Eat more padron peppers!!!
Pack less (didn't pack too much, but think I can go with less next time...in May)
Get contact info from the people I really liked that I met along the Way

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What is stopping me from exploring new routes?
1. A lack of language skills. I speak very little Spanish, no French, very little German. And no Italian. Even with attending Language school in the future for Spanish, I will never be fluent. Many of the lesser walked routes seem to require more advanced language skills than I possess.
2. Physical ability & infrastructure. I am maxed out at 26km with moderate elevation changes. I am unsure how to manage excessive distances (for me) and/or too much elevation change (again at my ability level).
3. Lack of information/confidence about the route.

I'd love to walk the Invierno or the Sanabres or the CF from Le Puy!!!!! But due to 1, 2, and 3 I feel discouraged from doing so.

I'd love to walk the Invierno or the Sanabres or the CF from Le Puy!!!!! But due to 1, 2, and 3 I feel discouraged from doing so.
@MARSKA, I was skittish about the Invierno for 5 years, and when I finally worked up the courage to walk it, I realized what a phantom all that fear was. The reality was very different from what I'd imagined. Part of the angst was about something unique to my own situation, but some was similar - about language, remoteness and lack of information.

I found lack of language to be a non-issue. And now 5 years on there is a Brierley guide, and clearly more pilgrims out there. So go for it! And before the Invierno is more developed (i.e., 'ruined').

A
@MARSKA, I was skittish about the Invierno for 5 years, and when I finally worked up the courage to walk it, I realized what a phantom all that fear was. The reality was very different from what I'd imagined. Part of the angst was about something unique to my own situation, but some was similar - about language, remoteness and lack of information.

I found lack of language to be a non-issue. And now 5 years on there is a Brierley guide, and clearly more pilgrims out there. So go for it! And before the Invierno is more developed (i.e., 'ruined').
I personally wouldn’t let a lack of language skills stop me visiting anywhere in the world and certainly not western Europe. You can always ‘muddle’ ’ through! It’s nice to be bilingual and a friend of mine from UK with a Japanese partner always said ‘if you don’t understand the language you won’t understand the culture’ which I think has merit but you will alway get through.

They are all experiences. It is a difference of size, rather than kind. I can listen to a song and then a different one. I can go on a Camino and a different one the next year. Few of us on this forum only have two trips in our lives. Many go on trips every year. Certainly doing a repeat will mean that you don't do something else. But if you do repeat, that doesn't prevent you from trying a new route next year. Or so my (privileged) experience has been.

It's not about how big a purchase it is. A book isn't a huge purchase. But reading the same book again will mean that I can't read another great book. I can guarantee there isn't enough time in my life to read all of the great books out there. Every one I re-read means that there is one I won't have time in my life to read. Big or small purchase, choosing to repeat means that you are forgoing something new, because there is always more new than you have time for. Doesn't stop me from re-reading books though. (In fact, I'm in the midst of rereading Terry Pratchett's Discworld series right now.)
Thanks David! Enjoy the book.

I agree with the theory .. we only have limited time and can never listen to every song or read every book so anytime doing this or any other activity takes anyway time to read other books or listen to other songs or do something else.

But I do think the size of purchase is important. I know people have the time and money to do other things on here (my perception of the degree of affluence on here, and the number of retirees indicates lots of ‘freedom’ to do what they like although folks will have things like caring duties tompwrform) but I still think that a USD5k / 40 day investment means folks can and do trade off doing another Camino versus other significant time and money investments.

In my case I am really keen to do VDLP but every time it gets near the ‘top of the list’ it is usurped by something else that I think is a better time and money investment.

Of course for many, repeat caminos’ make sense and I totally get that - why do something different you may not enjoy. I recently met a couple in Alicante in a bar who go to the same apartment every year on holiday and they thought I was crazy ‘risking’ doing vastly different things. They love it, it’s familiar, and a big part of their life. Why do I ‘take the risk’.

Many people on here talk about a regret about ‘discovering’ the Camino late in life. I always dread finding something I like at age 70 and wishing I had found it in my forties. Some people are motivated by familiarity and some people by ‘different’, and many a mixture of both or somewhere in between. No right or wrong to that!

I have enjoyed my 3 caminos and want to do one more plus 2 or 3 other hikes in different continents. I feel if I committed to 5 more caminos it may impact my ability to do the other hikes.

Last edited:
This is an interesting discussion. I wonder, those of you who have explored different routes, do you go to Santiago every time, or is it "been there, done that"? I am struggling with these thoughts as I only have 20 days and the plan is to go from STPDP to Leon this time (Leon-Santiago last and first time). Will I miss not reaching the goal itself, will I feel like being in a flow with new friends I don't want to part with, do I want to be a part of their exitement reaching the ultimate destination, will it be great sadness have to finish and go home? Of course, I cannot find answers to these questions. And also, part of me regret having (stupidly) booked non-refundable flights to and from Barcelona (and train ticket to Pamplona). I could have gone from Sevilla or Oviedo or Porto or...

So now comes my other dilemma, I hope it's ok to present here:

1. I can easily take a train or plane from Barcelona to Bayonne or Irun (Nortre)
2. Easy to take a bus from Oviedo to Leon (have flight there to Barcelona then home)

Things to consider:
1. I think it was terrible in Sarria and two/three of the places afterwards because of crowds. Maybe it will be just like that the first stops after STPDP at the beginning of May/high season?
2. I am physically in ok shape and can cope well with Nortre
3. I would like to meet other pilgrims along the way, not just tourists
4. I have no particular desire to walk by the sea. Think more like lots of wind for days can be hard. I've been told that "Nortre is just like Norway", so done that a thousand times. Frances and the dry climate and the history and the buildings etc feels way more attractive to me.

Of course, I know this is contradictory, it will be a personal preferences to choose, there is no "perfect" route to walk. So don't judge me.
But, what would YOU have done?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wonder, those of you who have explored different routes, do you go to Santiago every time, or is it "been there, done that"?
Almost every time. The only route I have started without the firm intention of reaching Santiago at the end was the Camino Mozarabe branch from Málaga. I set off intending to finish at Melide. I had already walked from Melide to Santiago on a previous visit and felt no great need to walk that part again.

Thanks David! Enjoy the book.

I agree with the theory .. we only have limited time and can never listen to every song or read every book so anytime doing this or any other activity takes anyway time to read other books or listen to other songs or do something else.

But I do think the size of purchase is important. I know people have the time and money to do other things on here (my perception of the degree of affluence on here, and the number of retirees indicates lots of ‘freedom’ to do what they like although folks will have things like caring duties tompwrform) but I still think that a USD5k / 40 day investment means folks can and do trade off doing another Camino versus other significant time and money investments.

In my case I am really keen to do VDLP but every time it gets near the ‘top of the list’ it is usurped by something else that I think is a better time and money investment.

Of course for many, repeat caminos’ make sense and I totally get that - why do something different you may not enjoy. I recently met a couple in Alicante in a bar who go to the same apartment every year on holiday and they thought I was crazy ‘risking’ doing vastly different things. They love it, it’s familiar, and a big part of their life. Why do I ‘take the risk’.

Many people on here talk about a regret about ‘discovering’ the Camino late in life. I always dread finding something I like at age 70 and wishing I had found it in my forties. Some people are motivated by familiarity and some people by ‘different’, and many a mixture of both or somewhere in between. No right or wrong to that!

I have enjoyed my 3 caminos and want to do one more plus 2 or 3 other hikes in different continents. I feel if I committed to 5 more caminos it may impact my ability to do the other hikes.
It is interesting that you see the size of investment pushing you to try new trails rather than repeat (yet another Camino). For me, while I initially had great intentions to mix up my Caminos with trips to other parts of the world, it is the size of the investment that holds me back from those trips elsewhere. When it comes down to planning a trip, Caminos are just so much less costly than trips elsewhere, it is hard to justify them on my budget.

but I still think that a USD5k / 40 day investment means folks can and do trade off doing another Camino versus other significant time and money investments.
I live in the UK and so travel to Spain is usually cheap and convenient. No doubt that makes some difference to costs but USD5,000 is about twice what I would expect to spend walking from SJPDP to Santiago. I do mostly stay in albergues rather than private rooms but otherwise I am not especially tight-fisted.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I live in the UK and so travel to Spain is usually cheap and convenient. No doubt that makes some difference to costs but USD5,000 is about twice what I would expect to spend walking from SJPDP to Santiago. I do mostly stay in albergues rather than private rooms but otherwise I am not especially tight-fisted.
Thanks, yes I am also from UK albeit nomadic nowadays. Estimate based on USA folks to include airfares! I am dorm only so it rolls in at about £1000 / €1150 ish for a 30 day Camino! I guess only trying to make the point it’s a significant investment in money and time (esp given some of the reported vacation allowances in USA) and many folks may need to trade off versus other activities!

Last edited:
I guess only trying to make the point it’s a significant investment in money and tikr and many folks may need to trade off versus other activities!
My impression from reading posts here over the years is that time may be a more significant factor than cost for most people. Many from the US seem to be very anxious to find the quickest possible route to their starting point to maximise the limited time at their disposal. I've found it extraordinary when someone asks about one-way car hire from Madrid to SJPDP or Porto to Sarria where time appears to be of the essence despite the enormous costs involved - especially when dropping off the car in a different country from the pick-up point. These posts very rarely come from Europeans.

Last edited:
I am dorm only so it rolls in at about £1000 / €1150 ish for a 30 day Camino!
Darn that's cheap! Ok, I've had a couple of private rooms in my mix but nonetheless my budget is around 50 euros a day. Some of my dorms have cost me €20. And had no cooking facilities.
And no I'm not including getting there and back either.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My impression from reading posts here over the years is that time may be a more significant factor than cost for most people. Many from the US seem to be very anxious to find the quickest possible route to their starting point to maximise the limited time at their disposal. I've often found it extraordinary when someone asks about one-way car hire from Madrid to SJPDP or Porto to Sarria where time appears to be of the essence despite the enormous costs involved. These posts very rarely come from Europeans.
100% agree! It’s very striking to me too!

Darn that's cheap! Ok, I've had a couple of private rooms in my mix but nonetheless my budget is around 50 euros a day. Some of my dorms have cost me €20. And had no cooking facilities.
And no I'm not including getting there and back either.
Well it’s not exact but it’s almost 40 euros a day. So €20 dorm and €20 food and drink!

I agree. I spent about 40 euro a day on my cheapest days. But I stayed in private albergues or donativos, shipped my bag, and didn't cook.

Kariann, if you don't want to walk by the sea and want to meet pilgrims, why * wouldn't * you want to end in Santiago? I got so much more out of my second visit than my first....

With 30 days, why not the Invierno? Or part of the Norte to the Primitivo to the Verde?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is an interesting discussion. I wonder, those of you who have explored different routes, do you go to Santiago every time, or is it "been there, done that"? I am struggling with these thoughts as I only have 20 days and the plan is to go from STPDP to Leon this time (Leon-Santiago last and first time). Will I miss not reaching the goal itself, will I feel like being in a flow with new friends I don't want to part with, do I want to be a part of their exitement reaching the ultimate destination, will it be great sadness have to finish and go home? Of course, I cannot find answers to these questions. And also, part of me regret having (stupidly) booked non-refundable flights to and from Barcelona (and train ticket to Pamplona). I could have gone from Sevilla or Oviedo or Porto or...

So now comes my other dilemma, I hope it's ok to present here:

1. I can easily take a train or plane from Barcelona to Bayonne or Irun (Nortre)
2. Easy to take a bus from Oviedo to Leon (have flight there to Barcelona then home)

Things to consider:
1. I think it was terrible in Sarria and two/three of the places afterwards because of crowds. Maybe it will be just like that the first stops after STPDP at the beginning of May/high season?
2. I am physically in ok shape and can cope well with Nortre
3. I would like to meet other pilgrims along the way, not just tourists
4. I have no particular desire to walk by the sea. Think more like lots of wind for days can be hard. I've been told that "Nortre is just like Norway", so done that a thousand times. Frances and the dry climate and the history and the buildings etc feels way more attractive to me.

Of course, I know this is contradictory, it will be a personal preferences to choose, there is no "perfect" route to walk. So don't judge me.
But, what would YOU have done?
Ok, re- reading you asked what WE would do. With 20 days, taking into account your other comments (splitting from friends etc), I’d fly to Oviedo,spend a day there, walk the Primitivo, and on to Finistere. Bus back to Santiago, fly back to Barcelona.
That way I get to walk a complete Camino, enjoy both Oviedo and Lugo ( both great cities), stay with new friends, walk into Santiago, and finish at Finistere. With (most likely) a day or two to spare.

That’s what I would do.

Last edited:
Ok, re- reading you asked what WE would do. With 20 days, taking into account your other comments (splitting from friends etc), I’d fly to Oviedo,spend a day there, walk the Primitivo, and on to Finistere. Bus back to Santiago, fly back to Barcelona.
That way I get to walk a complete Camino, enjoy both Oviedo and Lugo ( both great cities), stay with new friends, walk into Santiago, and finish at Finistere. With (most likely) a day or two to spare.

That’s what I would do.
Thank you, that is certainly something to consider 👍

For me, beginning my journey in the US in a city not well connected by air routes, it's about $1800 for the flight to Madrid. Then 40EU ($43) per day for food & lodging. A 30 day Camino will cost me $1300 + 1800 is $3000.oh - transport inside Spain might be another $200. So $3200. And I think one always spends more than estimated. From the US it's not a cheap trip.
I figured $107 per day, including airfare.
A 42 day trip therefore is $4500.
Travelingman22 is right on regarding costs from the US.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
some med supplies.

a spare set.

OMG love "stop packing our fears"! I think this is one of the biggest lessons of the Camino, what do you really need in life??

It is interesting that you see the size of investment pushing you to try new trails rather than repeat (yet another Camino). For me, while I initially had great intentions to mix up my Caminos with trips to other parts of the world, it is the size of the investment that holds me back from those trips elsewhere. When it comes down to planning a trip, Caminos are just so much less costly than trips elsewhere, it is hard to justify them on my budget.
Sure. Yes finance plays a part whether walking or contemplating any other travel experience!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is a topic that I am seriously contemplating right now. 2017 Frances from SJPP to SdC 2024 Frances from SJPP to SdC

1) I want to be more open-minded to the religious experience.
2) I want to do tech differently (not post to social media as much).
3) I will not TOUCH my backpack. Not once. :)

To take a puffer jacket, or not. That is the question?
I did, and never wore it!
My primary rule of thumb regarding backpack content:

I you know you'll use it, pack it.
If you think you'll use it, it stays at home.

You can re-supply whatever you missed packing, in Spain, at a better price than at home.

Here's some more about how stupidly some firsttimers can overpack:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My primary rule of thumb regarding backpack content:

I you know you'll use it, pack it.
If you think you'll use it, it stays at home.

You can re-supply whatever you missed packing, in Spain, at a better price than at home.

Here's some more about how stupidly some firsttimers can overpack:th

Well, here are some things - stupidly as you will say - a secondtimer will (over)pack:
A dress for use in evenings and also at nights; when arriving in Santiago at a dinner, all the other women showed up in fancy dresses, I sat there with my old worn-out hiking clothes used for a month.
A big soft nice towel: can't say how much I hate those stamp size awful microfiber.
Don't know if these ladies in nice dresses had their luggage transported, I really don't care and carry my own pack no matter what. So, thats me, happily carrying the extra pounds, and - my primarily rule of thumb, as you say - what I know I will use. But ok, the hairdryer stays at home 😂

Last edited:
Don't know if these ladies in their dresses had their luggage transported,
I carry my pack on the Camino, but I send a suitcase with pre and post Camino clothes, hair dryer, etc. to Santiago because I do some traveling/sightseeing before and after my Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

That’s what I would do.
Thanks for this suggestion, I've been reading day and night about Primitivo now and I'm going for it. Scared by the statistics about so many people attending Frances. Went on to Finestierre last time, so there will be some stages at Nortre first I think. Sent you a pm :)

Last edited:
Well, here are some things - stupidly as you will say - a secondtimer will (over)pack:
A dress for use in evenings and also at nights; when arriving in Santiago at a dinner, all the other women showed up in fancy dresses, I sat there with my old worn-out hiking clothes used for a month.
A big soft nice towel: can't say how much I hate those stamp size awful microfiber.
Don't know if these ladies in nice dresses had their luggage transported, I really don't care and carry my own pack no matter what. So, thats me, happily carrying the extra pounds, and - my primarily rule of thumb, as you say - what I know I will use. But ok, the hairdryer stays at home 😂

The hairdryer ends up in my pack........... :rolleyes:

What is stopping me from exploring new routes?
1. A lack of language skills. I speak very little Spanish, no French, very little German. And no Italian. Even with attending Language school in the future for Spanish, I will never be fluent. Many of the lesser walked routes seem to require more advanced language skills than I possess.
2. Physical ability & infrastructure. I am maxed out at 26km with moderate elevation changes. I am unsure how to manage excessive distances (for me) and/or too much elevation change (again at my ability level).
3. Lack of information/confidence about the route.

Don't be discouraged @MARSKA . It's all too easy to let our fears hold us back.
I was the same, walking the CF three times because it was easy regarding stages and infrastructure, familar and so a 'safe' option.

Last time, I walked the VdlP and the Invierno and loved them.

1. My Spanish is VERY basic, and limited to very basic ordering of food or booking a bed.
2. I max out at 25 kms with a comfortable range being 20-25.
3. I researched a lot, blogs, posts, videos etc. But to a degree, less detailed information merely added to the sense of adventure.

Once I knew that the stages could be broken up to match my capability, and that there would be accommodaton of one type or another I was good to go.

I'll stick mainly to the more remote routes now I think........
I found it liberating! :)

Last edited:
Don't be discouraged @MARSKA . It's all too easy to let our fears hold us back.
I was the same, walking the CF three times because it was easy regarding stages and infrastructure, familar and so a 'safe' option.

Last time, I walked the VdlP and the Invierno and loved them.

1. My Spanish is VERY basic, and limited to very basic ordering of food or booking a bed.
2. I max out at 25 kms with a comfortable range being 20-25.
3. I researched a lot, blogs, posts, videos etc. But to a degree, less detailed information merely added to the sense of adventure.

Once I knew that the stages could be broken up to match my capability, and that there would be accommodaton of one type or another I was good to go.

I'll stick mainly to the more remote routes now I think........
I found it liberating! :)
Thanks for the support Robo! Good to know. I'll send you a PM

Women...

I tried turning up in a 'nice dress' in Santiago last September . . .. it all went badly wrong . . . . 😉🤣

As should your beauty box, high heel shoes, and other weird female items. Noone will care about your looks anyway. (nor your clothes...). We are too tired in the evenings... :)
this is a great disappointment, and I who thought that my highest heels would be the most used on such an occasion..

I will do 3 things different in my preperations this time:

1) Streching daily, before/during/after walks
2) Train balance, to strengthen those small muscles in the ankels
3) Train core, most important muscles for all movement

Been totally lazy since the last trip, but finally I'm motivated again 😃

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back