• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

On the Camino: One Day at a Time, one Photo at a Time 11.0

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Welcome to the 11th photo of the day thread!
Started during the height of Covid when we were all house-bound, these threads have taken on a life of their own, and a reliable daily source of joy for all of us who are home and thinking about the Camino.

So this is a place to share memories and short reflections, one photo per day, one day at a time. Some of us will not make it to Spain this year, so this is our every day Camino fix. If you have been along for the ride since 1.0, you may find you need to repeat your posts,, but that is totally fine! We will see them with new eyes.

For new contributors, please note:
One photo per day (from any camino)
Please attach the thumbnail size so that even those of us with slow connections can see them.

My photo today is from the Vasco in 2019, so called the 'Tunnel Route' because of this - a (possibly) Roman trick of turning a cave into a tunnel:
Screenshot_20240103_213034_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Day 1 on the Via de la Plata, 21st April 2022, my friend @Shona and I walked the river route rather than through Camas. Loved the VDLP, my third camino, though struggled with the heat at times as we had a terrific heatwave. It was wonderful to follow the spring north :) Met some truly wonderful people on the journey, several of whom are members here on the forum. Never a day goes by when I don't think of being on the camino. A few months after finishing this camino in 2022 i was found to have a 12.5cm tumour on my kidney and February 2023 had the pesky blighter removed. At the present time I have postponed my camino plans but love to live vicariously through others :)

20220421_IMG_7966.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Chosen absolutely at random, the view from our room in Zegama, on the Vasco.
20190520_122838.jpg
Now there is a very nice albergue in Zegama, but not in 2019. Preparing ourselves for the climb the next day, I was happy to have the comfortable room in a pension rather than mats on the polideportivo floor. A wimp, I know. But sometimes age brings wisdom.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Chosen absolutely at random, the view from our room in Zegama, on the Vasco.
View attachment 161810
Now there is a very nice albergue in Zegama, but not in 2019. Preparing ourselves for the climb the next day, I was happy to have the comfortable room in a pension rather than mats on the polideportivo floor. A wimp, I know. But sometimes age brings wisdom.

While @VNwalking tackled the Tunel after Zegama I chickened out because I felt under the weather so thought it wiser not to walk along.
I took over some of the content of the backpack from her and took public transport to Salvatierra.

vervoer.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
October 22, 2023 Camino Frances
The bar at Albergue La Escuela, between La Faba and O Cebreiro

View attachment 161826
IMG_7395.jpeg
Just after 10.00 hrs on 14, June, 2022. Albergue La Escuela was certainly a very welcome rest stop on the way to O Cebreiro on this very hot summer day! Very sadly, a male pilgrim collapsed and died this same morning on the Camino on the way up to O Cebreiro, we had already passed the spot where it later happened.

I am having fun on a very slow connection, because I have no idea what pic I have chosen; I just know the filename, and of course which camino it was.
Ah! OK, what came up at random is a distant view of all that remains of the Visigothic Santa Maria de Lara - very impressive up close, even though it's a fragment of the original, just one end of the nave.
Camino San Olav 2016.
20160325_082727_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
View attachment 161830
Just after 10.00 hrs on 14, June, 2022. Albergue La Escuela was certainly a very welcome rest stop on the way to O Cebreiro on this very hot summer day! Very sadly, a male pilgrim collapsed and died this same morning on the Camino on the way up to O Cebreiro, we had already passed the spot where it later happened.
Thank you for this compassionate call to remember that, here, we have no lasting city.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Guardia civil, making sure the pilgrims were doing fine on a very hot day, July 2022, between Portomarine and Gonzar on the camino Francés.

View attachment 161930
On our first Camino in 2022, the Frances, we saw Guardia Civil on the path just before reaching Puente La Reina but they were walking towards us. We then saw some in Portomarin on motorbikes. We also encountered the Guardia Civil, this time on horseback, between Arzua and O Pedrouzo on our third Camino on 28th, July, 2022 at the end of the Camino Primitivo. But we were only able to take a photo from the rear after they had passed us! They appear to be very vigilant about looking after the Camino and pilgrims and we are very grateful for it.
IMG_0667.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
October 23, 2023 Camino Frances, OCebreiro
Saint James, Santuario de Santa Maria Real do Cebreiro

View attachment 161965

@mspath, can you shed some light on the inscription and the small figure on the pedestal below the statue?
Rowena,
I am sorry but I do not recall seeing this handsome statue in 2014, the last time I was there. If your photo is saved in Google Photos you might use Lens Search to find other photos of it which might have descriptions.

Thanks for posting this evocative image and good luck with your research. Please do post what you discover. Carpe diem.

Rowena,
I am sorry but I do not recall seeing this handsome statue in 2014, the last time I was there. If your photo is saved in Google Photos you might use Lens Search to find other photos of it which might have descriptions.

Thanks for posting this evocative image and good luck with your research. Please do post what you discover. Carpe diem.
I had a quick search, it seems to be to do with Oct 12 ( Columbus day ? ) and the Virgin of El Pilar in Spain

Our Lady of the Pillar .. it seems to go with the inscription and sculpture

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Camino Frances
O Cebreiro
Santa Maria a Real
tomb of Don Elias Valiña Sampedro

photo taken November 28, 2014

tomb.jpg

I paused at the tomb of Don Elias Valiña Sampedro the local priest well known for much historic camino research and for painting the first yellow arrows. ...For basic info re O Cebreiro and Don Elias Valiña Sampedro's life and publications see this Spanish link.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino Frances
O Cebreiro

photos taken March 11, 2009
and November 23, 2011

Some uses of iconic symbols can be jarring.

O Cebreiro, church, interior.jpg

The magnificent silver chalice in the church was a gift from royalty commemorating a medieval miracle of faith when a parishioner experienced the transformation of wine and bread.

In more recent time the stylized shape of the chalice became the symbol of Galicia and thus now appears throughout the province even on garbage containers !!

Galicia symbol.jpg

The O Cebriero theme continues. 14th, June, 2022.
View attachment 162050
We arrived in O Cebriero in time to join a group of French pilgrims who were walking with their own Priest, he was celebrating Mass for them. They all laid their candles in the shape of an arrow pointing to the altar.
The arrow was still there at the end of July, I was wondering about the story around it. It’s nice to learn about it this morning !

IMG_4716.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Bunkbed at muni Salvatierra/ Agurain. Vasco Interior 2019.
@VNwalking and I shared one dorm. Our fellow Catalonian peregrino , Manel, shared another dorm with a French pilgrim walking home. Manel did not have a nice evening seeing the fellow pilgrim was lecturing him about what was " the correct way of walking a Camino ".

bunkbed.jpg

Last edited:
Camino Frances
Alto de San Roque
pilgrim sculpture

photos taken November 30, 2012

Alto de Saint Roque  30.11.2012.jpgAlto de San Roque detail.jpg

After passing this snow covered sculpture of a pilgrim I stopped at a nearby bar, ate a copious hot second breakfast and sheltered from the cold contentedly fell asleep in a cosy corner.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Camino Frances
Triacastela
Praza da Deputación

photo taken March 13, 2009

Kipling poem.jpg

In the praza it was a surprise to find prominently posted and translated into Spanish lines from Rudyard Kipling's famous poem If . Although written during WW1 much is appropriate for the camino as well as ordinary life.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Practice of the church choir in Rabe de las Calzadas 2013.
I ended my Camino del Ebro and continued on the Francés.
Mentally it was a hard Camino that year.
The warm and generous welcome of these people lifted my heart.
After a good cry from myself and a gentle pat on the back from one of the ladies I made up my mind and ended that Camino. Took some public transport and enjoyed the rest of my days off.
Well I did continue for a couple of days but the fact I gave myself permission to stop made all the difference.

FB_IMG_1705189510971.jpg

Camino Frances
San Martiño do Real
overlooking Samos Monastery

photo takes November 25, 2011

overlooking Samos.jpg

The CF between Triacastela and Samos parallels much of route LU 633; this bird's eye view down onto the immense monastery is from the hamlet San Martiño do Real.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino Frances
Samos
rúa do Salvador
La Capela do Ciprés

photo taken December 1, 2013

Samos, La Capela do Ciprés.jpg

Located + - 100 m. from the main Samos monastery this chapel contains the oldest remnants of the original complex and may once have been a monastic cell. It is named for an adjacent millennial cypress tree 25 m. tall, one of the most notable trees in Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Camino Frances
Samos
Mosteiro de San Xulián

photo taken March 13, 2009

Samos, 2009.jpg

Although sections of this Benedictine monastery complex are 9th c. the majority was built in the 16th-17th centuries. Much, however, had to be rebuilt after a disasterous 1951 fire.

Camino Frances
Samos
Mosteiro de San Xulián
mural detail

photo taken November 10, 2004

Samos, Monastery of San Julian.jpg

Painted c.1955 these fantastic and historic figures surround an Oratorium door. Seen during a guided tour this new mural was most impressive and rather frightening.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back