• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

To Karin, who left her stick in Santiago...

MKalcolm M

Solvitur ambulando - It is solved by walking
Time of past OR future Camino
north route spring 2013
On August 9th, I passed through Santiago, en-route to Leon, where I planned to start walking the Camino San Salvador to Oviedo. I wanted a stick to walk with, and so went to the pilgrims office and asked if I could take one from the pile left by pilgrims who had finished their caminos. I choose a good, tall staff, the top inch of which had been de-barked and had the name "Karin" on it.

This stick did me well and and accompanied my foot fall all the way. It was a hard, hot, camino and I lent my weight on it hard as I wheezed up mountains, and then down again after the summit.

In Oviedo, I met a pilgrim who was just about to start the Primitivo to Santiago, so I gave her the staff and told her how I had acquired it. She asked me to write my name at the top, which I did, and now the staff is wending its way back to Santiago.

Karin, whoever you are and where ever you are, thank you for the use of your stick. It was a good companion, and a helpful tool, and its story is continuing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I love this tale, and thanks for sharing it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I noticed one of my walking partners was intending to take her stick back on a Ryanair flight to the US that she had borrowed from her Mayer where she works I took it off her and sent it with those great guys from the post office Compostela to Utah 47 euros in case anybody wanted to know, the Mayor was so thrilled with her walk he insisted she keep it. I'll get my 47 euros of Vino if I ever go back to the states.

Most read last week in this forum