• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What was left unused? What can be left behind?

Lianna

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning one Oct 23
I watch on with deep admiration for those managing to keep their pack sizes to a minimum and many posts about how light or heavy peoples packs are. I am planning to take the Levante or Norte route shortly (Oct 23 start) and struggling to get my pack below 8kg (and that doesnt include camping stuff if I decide to bring).

I am curious... what did you take. but wished you hadn't? what can I leave behind?!!!!

Thanks x

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
what did you take. but wished you hadn't? what can I leave behind?!!!!
I have never taken more than 6 kg for a November walk, and can't think of anything I would suggest leaving behind, so I can't answer your question! You would probably get more useful help by posting your list and asking what we think should be left behind, and why! :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have never taken more than 6 kg for a November walk, and can't think of anything I would suggest leaving behind … :)
I’m feeling pack envy. Just getting my pack together for quite a long Camino starting Sunday that will continue in to mid November. I think I’ll be at 7.5 which is fine. But your 6kg gives me motivation to take another look. 😎

PS. It does include my iPad mini as I don’t like writing on my phone. So it’s one luxury I always take. Something else may have to go. 🤔

The problem with pack weight is that there are so many variables, starting with: how heavy is your pack when empty? Mine is roughly one and a half kilograms empty but I've met others carrying lighter (780g!) packs and others with heavier packs.
And that holds true of many items that I carry. Some things I have had for many years and they are therefore much heavier than their modern variants.
Yes there have been things I've not used but that doesn't mean that I'd leave them behind next time. Rain wear for instance !
And that third pair of underwear and socks. I'm happy to 'pay' for the insurance...
As @C clearly says, post the list and let those who enjoy it critique......

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I brought a kindle tablet on my first Camino and used it once or twice. I never brought it again.
On my first camino I brought 2 books - thinking I would have plenty of time to read. Never read a single page. That was the time I thought a 65L fjellraven backpack was the perfect choice. On all my following caminos I've never gone beyond 38L.

I watch on with deep admiration for those managing to keep their pack sizes to a minimum and many posts about how light or heavy peoples packs are. I am planning to take the Levante or Norte route shortly (Oct 23 start) and struggling to get my pack below 8kg (and that doesnt include camping stuff if I decide to bring).

I am curious... what did you take. but wished you hadn't? what can I leave behind?!!!!

Thanks x
I take the minimum clothing I can, plus the lightest I can find of most things (within reason) and have a pack weight of 6 kgs. The only thing I bought was the small Michelin guide and a pair of socks to pad my pack straps on my first Camino, replacement socks for some that shrunk in the drier on the next, and a ballpoint pen on the last. I do restock items that are consumed eg sunscreen, toothpaste etc.

Starting late October, expect cold and wet weather especially in Galicia. That means weight. If you stay in public albergues, you’ll need a sleeping bag or quilt, again, weight. Carry the weight you are comfortable with and make sure you have what you need. Don’t bother to weigh your backpack.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Starting late October, expect cold and wet weather especially in Galicia. That means weight. If you stay in public albergues, you’ll need a sleeping bag or quilt, again, weight. Carry the weight you are comfortable with and make sure you have what you need. Don’t bother to weigh your backpack.
We expect to arrive in Galicia in mid to late November and I don't like to be cold, so a few extra things have been added to my pack. But I know I can comfortably carry the weight, so I think I will take your advice and stop second guessing. Thank you.

Thanks x
On my first CF I took the following items that were never used: headlamp, washing line and pegs, spork, flip flops for the shower that I never remembered to wear, plastic plate and mug. I didn’t take any of those on my second CF but added a lightweight fleece because I was cold on the first. On the third CF the only unused item was my first aid kit but I will still always carry that! Hope that helps. My heaviest pack weight was 7 kg the first time. Almost forgot - I added a corkscrew/bottle opener after the first time - very useful!
The one thing I wished I had but have never carried is my electric toothbrush.

The one thing I wished I had but have never carried is my electric toothbrush.
Linda, I have a battery operated toothbrush - it takes one battery that lasts for a very long time. It's very lightweight and quiet. I think we bought them at Aldi or similar - inexpensive.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have never taken more than 6 kg for a November walk, and can't think of anything I would suggest leaving behind, so I can't answer your question! You would probably get more useful help by posting your list and asking what we think should be left behind, and why! :)

I don't know how easy this is to read, but here is the list. I have sorted so all the things I was planning to include first, then ordered by category then weight. So there are a few items at the bottom I was planning to leave out as it stands (the ones with a '?' in the 'to include' column)

The total of the items tagged 'YES' in the 'to include' column is 8.5kg. I have also high lighted some that could be left out or replaced with something lighter in the 'NOTES' column).

Also worth saying, My backpack is a 48lt, 1.2kg but makes anything I carry feel light as well fitted to my back, sits on my hips, has epic cushioned straps and great airflow.

WHATCATEGORYWEIGHTTO INCLUDE?NOTES
water filterkit100yes?
passport & health carddocuments40yes
bank cardsdocuments25yes
Smartphoneelectronics240yes
Powerbankelectronics175yes
Phone Chargerelectronics35yes
earphoneselectronics15yes
flip flopsevening clothes215yes
thermal trousersevening clothes155yes
Eye Maskevening clothes15yes
Earplugsevening clothes5yes
Antiseptic Creamfirst aid10yes
brown yoga trousershiking clothes190yes
cycling shortshiking clothes125yes
2 x brashiking clothes120yesx 2
pink long sleevehiking clothes105yes
head khaki shoulder vesthiking clothes100yes
rab lightweight long sleeve blue running tophiking clothes100yes
grey short sleeved t-shirthiking clothes100yes
light weight and merino wool knickers (x4)hiking clothes100yes
black merino string vesthiking clothes90yes
brasher mid weight outer sockshiking clothes80yes
decathlon lightweight sockhiking clothes55yes
inner sockshiking clothes35yes
buffhiking clothes35yes
hiking shoeshiking kit-yes
Rucksackhiking kit1080yes
hiking poleshiking kit320yes
rucksack lidhiking kit120yes
guide bookhiking kit105yes
knee bracehiking kit65yes
knee sockhiking kit65yes
Sunscreenhiking kit60yes
caphiking kit50yes
sun glasseshiking kit30yes
Tissueshiking kit25yes
whistlehiking kit10yes
first aid kitKIT265yes
reading bookKIT175yes
NotebookKIT165yes?
water bladder / bottleKIT145yes
duck tapeKIT70yes?
washing lineKIT65yes?
small pen knifeKIT35yes
head torchKIT30yes
PenKIT10yes
Bum bagorganiser117yes
passport holderorganiser75yes
lightweight daypackorganiser50yes
sleeping bag sleep system720yeslighter with light quilt?
SILK BAG LINERsleep system125yesmake bigger
Towel toiletries300yeslighter?
face moisturisertoiletries70yes
soaptoiletries60yes
Deodoranttoiletries45yes
Toothbrush + Toothpastetoiletries20yes
Razortoiletries10yes
Bug Spraytoiletries50yes
Small Shampoo bartoiletries50yes
down jacketwarm clothes330yeswhich one
fleecewarm clothes345yeslighter?
woolly hatwarm clothes100yes
fingerless gloveswarm clothes40yes
fleece snoodwarm clothes35yes
merino wool glove linerswarm clothes30yes
poncho waterproof300yes
orange light rain jacketwaterproof200yes?
waterproof trouserswaterproof155yes?
bed socksevening clothes20??
ankle bracefirst aid40??
bridgedale heavyweight outer sockhiking clothes85??
trowelhiking kit40??
LEATHERMANKIT285??
trackie bumsnormal clothes380??
pillowsleep system245??
heavy grey rain jacket waterproof555??
waterproof cover for bagwaterproof100??

Last edited:
You are so right... I walked in Nepal for two weeks in challenging conditions with 16 kg and was totally fine (I am 5'3" and 55 kg!). My pack is magic and has transformed carrying comfort!

The problem is, I am an over preparer as want to make sure I am prepared to make the most of any opportunity, so the spreadsheet and weighing process helps me not over pack. I am also resourceful... so have to remember I actually need very little and will get by. Hell - you can always buy stuff right?! it is Spain not Nepal!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think I’ll be at 7.5 which is fine. But your 6kg gives me motivation to take another look. 😎
My pack is not ultra-lite and always seems to weigh 7-7.5 kg without water. I don't think I can reduce it further. Last year I didn:t take my plastic plate and regretted it. For me, cutting bread in half for sandwiches and assembling them with meat and cheese or tuna when having a picnic lunch on the side of the trail is very helpful and less awkard.

My pack is not ultra-lite and always seems to weigh 7-7.5 kg without water. I don't think I can reduce it further. Last year I didn:t take my plastic plate and regretted it. For me, cutting bread in half for sandwiches and assembling them with meat and cheese or tuna when having a picnic lunch on the side of the trail is very helpful and less awkard.
Instead of a plastic plate, I take a small (6" x 9"), plastic rectangular cutting board in a neon color. It is great for cutting or serving food, or a small meal.

The cutting board is carried in the belly bag that attaches to the front of my rucksack harness - always ready to hand. This is where I also carry my spork, as well as any other snack items. The bag has water bottle pockets on either side for .5 liter water bottles.

The belly bag helps to redistribute weight and provides better balance when walking. The pilgrims from New Zealand, wearing Aarn rucksacks with front balance bags gave me the idea several Caminos ago.I think of it as being analogous to my old elementary school lunchbox - no TV action hero pictures on it - LOL.

Hope this helps.

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Lianna I see several things on your list that you can eliminate.
Water filter - not necessary on the Camino
Pillow - provided at albergues
You don't need both a sleeping bag and liner.
Choose between the rain jacket and poncho.
Heavy grey rain jacket - no
Choose between the down jacket and fleece.
Trowel - no, you aren't on a wilderness hike
You don't need both fingerless gloves and the liner gloves
Fleece snood? I'm not sure what this is, but you also have a beanie and a Buff, so you probably don't need it

There are other things on your list that I wouldn't take, like the Leatherman tool, but you might find useful.

Re cutting board, I carry a rectangular plastic box big/high enough to take a tomato, some fruit and any other food which risks being squashed in my pack and use the lid as a cutting board and plate.
Your box sounds nice, but seems like it would take up quite a bit of room in your pack. My plastic plate has a nice lip around it to catch any juicy drips.

Last fall I was in the throws of stripping little- and never-used items from my gear list. Here are a few that were among the first to go:

Money pouch - I used an RFID blocker money pouch to hold my passport and extra cash in the past. Did away with that on my 2022 trek and survived just fine.

Brierly Guide - I love it. And I did not bring a smart phone on my 2014 camino and was better for it. But with the Wise Pilgrim app and other reasons for adding the smartphone (e.g., camera, light source, Kindle app, etc.), it's hard to justify not replacing a hardcopy guide with the phone that I'm already planning to bring.

Phrase book - I carried one on my first camino. Never used it. And, you know, smartphone.

Long underwear - Never used it. If I travel outside of the May - October window, I may reconsider. Then again, October on the Norte? Maybe keep that.

Headlamp - Not necessary, I'm not into night walking. I have use a tiny LED to navigate to the albergue bathroom, but even that's been replaced by the smartphone.

Pillow - I can't sleep without a pillow that's just right, so I in the past I carried a foam camping pillow. Weight was negligible and I was able to use the bulk to compensate for a lot of dead space in my too-large (since replaced) backpack. But I do just as well using a down vest and a fleece to prop up the often-flat albergue pillows.

Maybe consider whether you really need all of these items on your list (and consider that I am not familiar with conditions/needs on the Norte): Leatherman, whistle (maybe keep if you don't have one built into a pack strap), bug spray (not necessary in October), water filter, duct tape, washing line, and trowel. I've never needed a plate or spork, but again, like all of the stuff above, I can see where some would want that (and I can think of a few times where I really wished I had a small cutting surface, but survived without it).

I noticed you have two rain jackets and waterproof trousers on your list plus a poncho, so consider whether you really need all of it.

Reading book, guide book, & notebook: You might look a whether you can live without some of it.

Your first aid kit weighs half a pound. If that includes some essentials like ibuprofen or other personal medications/medical items that are must-haves, then you might be OK. Over time, my first aid kit has become a few band-aids, Tylenol and ibuprofen, tiny neosporin ointment packets, a couple alcohol wipes, and most of the rest is for blister management (which I know I can reduce because most of it can be grabbed at a farmacia). Last year I added KT tape and never used it.

Side note: Last year I ordered an iPhone 13 Pro, mostly for the camera quality, without getting a good look at the bulk and weight of the thing first. The picture quality is fantastic, but I am on the hunt for a lighter weight option than this beast of a phone that I schlepped up and down the Alps.

These are just my thoughts and when it comes to gear, the personal need and/or comfort brought by certain items certainly varies and may justify carrying the weight. On second thought, I may put my beloved Brierly guide back into the "keep" pile ...

Buen camino!

Jarrad

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I do see several things that you may not need. You could probably lighten the load. As you go along, you may want to lighten your load if you find your pack too heavy. Many pilgrims leave things they no longer need or want to carry in the "give away" box that you will find at many albergues.

As a hospitalera, I have also been asked by new pilgrims to go through their pack with them. Normally I ask them if they have used the item or if they could do without it or with less. Sometimes people are very attached to things and I think as you move along the Camino, you may become less attached to things. I always mention that another pilgrim may need what they no longer need and they can leave it for someone else to use. This helps people to break that bind and helps them feel better about leaving something behind if they think someone else may need it.

In the end, you'll know whether you want to keep it or not after carrying it for a few days. I rarely take anything on the Camino that I could not bear to part with in case it gets lost or damaged. I carry my credential, credit cards, money, and passport in ziplock bags instead of an official organizer. I use a plastic water bottle from the store (or airplane) and reuse it until it begins to leak, etc.

Loads of great suggestions here - my only addition is to reduce the first aid kit - I took one on my first Camino but now on my third I take contact lense cases with essentials - just enough to get me to the next village farmacia. A couple of pain killers, a dollop of any creams I may want - a few antihistamine tablets - and a couple of blister plasters although I have never needed them. This year I have been busy prepping for heavy rain while the forecast shows 28 deg in Navarrenx where we will start; 🤗 Then I started prepping for hot weather - and saw it was really chilly first thing. Warm/cool, dry & fed are my priorities - and beds & pillows don’t matter quite as much because I am generally too plum tuckered to even notice. 😂 The Camino generally shows me that my prepping is, to some degree, in an effort to reduce uncertainty…… that’s my learning curve anyhow. 🤨😆

I'm currently preparing for my fourth Camino.
Here's what's going so far:
3 socks, m wool
1 sock liner, silk
Two tights, one gortex pants, one shorts
Two long-sleeve merino T's, One short-sleeve, One light flitty top
One Gortex jacket, one fleece
Sleep sack and lightweight down hiker's mini quilt
Bag of meds (no way around that, must have)
Sunscreen, T brush, T paste, a few toiletries (hair conditioner, 3 oz and some lotion, 3 oz)
MacBook Pro, no way around (I've become a publisher with a large team)
Iphone
All chargers
money stuff, of course.
Vasque boots (never a blister) and another light shoe--not sure what yet, maybe birkenstock slides.

This is off the top of my head. These are the bare necessities, I think. I emulate C Clearly

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your box sounds nice, but seems like it would take up quite a bit of room in your pack. My plastic plate has a nice lip around it to catch any juicy drips.
My box does take up some room in my pack, but either it contains food or my underwear, socks etc. And its lid has a lip to catch juicy drips - probably, certainly, not as nice a lip as your plate, but it serves the purpose.

Loads of great suggestions here - my only addition is to reduce the first aid kit - I took one on my first Camino but now on my third I take contact lense cases with essentials - just enough to get me to the next village farmacia. A couple of pain killers, a dollop of any creams I may want - a few antihistamine tablets - and a couple of blister plasters although I have never needed them. This year I have been busy prepping for heavy rain while the forecast shows 28 deg in Navarrenx where we will start; 🤗 Then I started prepping for hot weather - and saw it was really chilly first thing. Warm/cool, dry & fed are my priorities - and beds & pillows don’t matter quite as much because I am generally too plum tuckered to even notice. 😂 The Camino generally shows me that my prepping is, to some degree, in an effort to reduce uncertainty…… that’s my learning curve anyhow. 🤨😆
I totally agree with Shazenalan regarding the first aid kit. I would take just a couple of pain killers, plasters, bandage, etc for emergency should I be between villages. Considering that farmacias are in most larger villages and of course in all towns, you really don’t have to walk far till you find one. Other regular items like toothpaste, sun protection cream, etc. I would start with a reduced tube and buy along the Camino when necessary.

Beast of a phone that I schlepped up and down the Alps
Excellent. A Yiddish-speaking friend defines ‘schlepping’ as ‘working whilst sweating’.

Best packing practice is to repeat-Camino and set aside everything apart from your chosen rain-gear and first-aid kit which wasn’t used last time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok, despite my earlier comment, after reading the list I can't resist replying. And I'm afraid that in many cases I'm simply repeating what others have already said but for what it's worth here's my take:

Leatherman - out . Tracky bums - out pillow - out. Heavy grey rain jacket - out. Ditto trowel - 1.26kg gone.
Notebook?
Bug spray?

@Liana, whilst I love the idea of a 100 gram water filter the problem is is that when you need water you probably aren't going to be able to find anything to filter either, so better to leave that out and carry an extra half a liter whenever you think it's necessary.
Rain gear.
Poncho definitely, ditto-rain pants and the pack cover. Because I hate getting wet and cold, and if it's cold rainy and windy the rain pants could literally be a lifesaver. Also useful in an emergency when everything else is in the wash!
The pack cover because I don't see dry bags or a pack liner/ large sack in your list to keep everything dry. Or swap it for the same. That rain in Galacia can be really quite something and unless your poncho is top of the line you can get seepage.
Lightweight rain jacket possibly keep - especially if it's part of your layering system. Also useful to improve your visibility on misty /cloudy days.
As others have commented your first aid kit seems heavy especially if you have an ankle brace as an extra? Swap your bandage in the first aid kit for a elastic bandage, ( emergency ankle brace) and minimise the rest so that you have just enough to cover a couple of days until the next pharmacy.
Unless you regularly have ankle issues, or did on your last camino - in which case keep the ankle brace!
I'm curious as to why you're carrying both a buff and a snood but that's your personal choice.
Ditto fleece and puffer jacket, personally I would carry one or the other. Preferably the warmer of the two. Especially if you decide to keep the orange rain jacket.
If you are a warm sleeper look to swap out that sleeping bag. If not?
And you are right 300 grams seems a lot for the towel but I assume that it is one of the larger quick dry towels, going down one size could save you 100 grams. But then you lose about 1/3 of the drying capacity too.
Buen Camino!

Tracky bums - out
I should have said to leave that out, but I didn't know what it was!😄
And you are right 300 grams seems a lot for the towel but I assume that it is one of the larger quick dry towels, going down one size could save you 100 grams.
The body size Packtowl Ultralite (64cm x 137cm) weighs only 100 grams.

My problem with the pack towels are that they don't dry you as much as just smear the water around. I hate the feel. I took just a plain old flour sack t-towel last year and it felt better on my skin. Also very light. I never take a big pack towel, but the sack flour towel was bigger in area, dried quickly, and took up less room in my pack. Not as bulky.

Thanks x
I’m weighing in at 13 pounds including 64 Super Beet chews (heavy). Got a change of clothes, rain jacket, waterproof pants, sweater and toiletries and super light Hey Dudes spare shoes and sleeping bag.

My problem with the pack towels are that they don't dry you as much as just smear the water around. I hate the feel. I took just a plain old flour sack t-towel last year and it felt better on my skin. Also very light. I never take a big pack towel, but the sack flour towel was bigger in area, dried quickly, and took up less room in my pack. Not as bulky.
I agree. I prefer using an infant cotton flannel towel by Carters and love it. They absorb water quickly, weigh very little and dry overnight hung over the foot bar of a bunk bed. It is not large, but I am not a big person and my hair is above my shoulders, so works for me. A larger person could sew two together. I have a few, purchased at charity shops for a mere $1/each.
Screenshot_20230928-160509~2.png

I’ve always found that in hot weather seasons I can dry myself with a cotton facecloth/flannel. Wrung out a couple of times and rinsed afterwards.

Do people really take showers in the cold seasons? Why? A rub-down with the same bit of cotton, damped and rinsed keeps me socially acceptable with minimal effort. No towel required

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Fleece snood? I'm not sure what this is, but you also have a beanie and a Buff, so you probably don't need it

There are other things on your list that I wouldn't take, like the Leatherman tool, but you might find useful.
So helpful - thankyou

I’ve always found that in hot weather seasons I can dry myself with a cotton facecloth/flannel. Wrung out a couple of times and rinsed afterwards.

Do people really take showers in the cold seasons? Why? A rub-down with the same bit of cotton, damped and rinsed keeps me socially acceptable with minimal effort. No towel required
In the US we call your description a "sponge bath"; nothing wrong with that. I try not to walk in the heat, but after a day of walking on Camino in any weather, I prefer a shower or bath for its invigorating rejuvenation of body and mind.🙂

Ok, despite my earlier comment, after reading the list I can't resist replying. And I'm afraid that in many cases I'm simply repeating what others have already said but for what it's worth here's my take:

Leatherman - out . Tracky bums - out pillow - out. Heavy grey rain jacket - out. Ditto trowel - 1.26kg gone.
Notebook?
Bug spray?

@Liana, whilst I love the idea of a 100 gram water filter the problem is is that when you need water you probably aren't going to be able to find anything to filter either, so better to leave that out and carry an extra half a liter whenever you think it's necessary.
Rain gear.
Poncho definitely, ditto-rain pants and the pack cover. Because I hate getting wet and cold, and if it's cold rainy and windy the rain pants could literally be a lifesaver. Also useful in an emergency when everything else is in the wash!
The pack cover because I don't see dry bags or a pack liner/ large sack in your list to keep everything dry. Or swap it for the same. That rain in Galacia can be really quite something and unless your poncho is top of the line you can get seepage.
Lightweight rain jacket possibly keep - especially if it's part of your layering system. Also useful to improve your visibility on misty /cloudy days.
As others have commented your first aid kit seems heavy especially if you have an ankle brace as an extra? Swap your bandage in the first aid kit for a elastic bandage, ( emergency ankle brace) and minimise the rest so that you have just enough to cover a couple of days until the next pharmacy.
Unless you regularly have ankle issues, or did on your last camino - in which case keep the ankle brace!
I'm curious as to why you're carrying both a buff and a snood but that's your personal choice.
Ditto fleece and puffer jacket, personally I would carry one or the other. Preferably the warmer of the two. Especially if you decide to keep the orange rain jacket.
If you are a warm sleeper look to swap out that sleeping bag. If not?
And you are right 300 grams seems a lot for the towel but I assume that it is one of the larger quick dry towels, going down one size could save you 100 grams. But then you lose about 1/3 of the drying capacity too.
Buen Camino!
Defo - unfortunately all the things you mention as out are actually on the reserve list and not counted in the final weight, but certainly reassuring to hear I am on the right lines. Thank you so much!

Force of habit really, like washing your clothes every day. My grandmother insisted that washing clothes wore them out more quickly (of course the wringer washer could break buttons and the boiling water used in the tub did wash out colors). She also did not insist we take baths/showers daily unless we were REALLY stinky/dirty.

We carried a lightweight lunchbox (a reused takeaway container) which we used to carry lunch food and used its lid as a cutting board and plate.
What did I carry and didn't use or would leave behind next time: a headlamp, and a water bottle that purifies the water. What did I love or wish I had brought with me: my hairdryer ( it dried hair, clothes, and shoes, it dried my whole bag when something spilled in it and had to be washed out, so many times I was thankful for it ), I now have long hair and wished that I had brought a conditioner bar), clothes line which we used every night, very lightweight foam sitting pad (great for damp ground, wooden, damp benches, rocks and paddocks, to sit on at lunchtime), my Crocs ( very light but blissfully comfortable to change into off trail and to wear in the shower and even used once to cross a pebbly stream), my Euroschirm handsfree umbrella ( a lifesaver in the blistering heat and a great way to keep the pack drier in the rain as no water runs down the top of the pack cover).

The trowel is needed to dig a hole if caught short with the trots! I usually pick up my number twos in a doggy bag along with my toilet paper but for the squits it is better to dig a hole and cover it all up as you can't scoop it all into a baggie.

Of course, if you stay at places other than albergues/gites, you can ditch the towel, pillow, sleeping bag, liner, and soap. I have only ever used them in albergues and gites. Sometimes the albergues and gites provide a pillow and blanket, but in a few that I have used I have been presented with a mattress and a paper mattress cover only. No pillow, bedding of any description, and no option to hire them. It was worth carrying the sleeping bag, towel and blow up pillow for those places though I could have stuffed clothes in my pillow case to make a lumpy pillow.

I don't know how easy this is to read, but here is the list. I have sorted so all the things I was planning to include first, then ordered by category then weight. So there are a few items at the bottom I was planning to leave out as it stands (the ones with a '?' in the 'to include' column)

The total of the items tagged 'YES' in the 'to include' column is 8.5kg. I have also high lighted some that could be left out or replaced with something lighter in the 'NOTES' column).

Also worth saying, My backpack is a 48lt, 1.2kg but makes anything I carry feel light as well fitted to my back, sits on my hips, has epic cushioned straps and great airflow.

water filterkit100yes?
bank cardsdocuments25yes
buffhiking clothes35yes
knee sockhiking kit65yes
Sunscreenhiking kit60yes
caphiking kit50yes
Tissueshiking kit25yes
whistlehiking kit10yes
first aid kitKIT265yes
reading bookKIT175yes
NotebookKIT165yes?
duck tapeKIT70yes?
washing lineKIT65yes?
small pen knifeKIT35yes
head torchKIT30yes
PenKIT10yes
Bum bagorganiser117yes
sleeping bagsleep system720yeslighter with light quilt?
soaptoiletries60yes
Deodoranttoiletries45yes
Razortoiletries10yes
Bug Spraytoiletries50yes
poncho waterproof300yes
ankle bracefirst aid40??
trowelhiking kit40??
LEATHERMANKIT285??
pillowsleep system245??
How many pairs of trousers? 2 is ample. Rain jacket and poncho? Down jacket and fleece? One or the other.

OK, head-above-the-parapet time, I'm going to advocate for the pillow-bringers...
My Sea to Summit Aeros blow-up pillow weighs 80g in its bag. It's the first item on my packing list and just about the last I'd be prepared to part with. Admittedly I have had some neck issues in the past from years of leaning unhealthily into computer screens. But I've learnt how to manage these issues - and avoiding the wrong pillow is the most important factor of all.
You never quite know what pillow awaits you at an albergue: in Spain it's often of the rounded sausage-shaped variety, typically springy foam - and that just kills my neck nowadays.
With the Aeros I know exactly what I'm getting every night, whether it's in a bed, a bunk, on a mat on the floor or under the stars. Light, functional and comfortable.

€60,-
Fleece snood?
It's a big buff. A tube of fleece or wool fabric that can be pushed down to make a scarf or pulled up to cover both the neck and head. Some are more hood shaped with a base that covers the shoulders. Ancient design meant to cover the head and neck worn over a cloak. lol I used to do Viking reenactment and have made several over the years, but I doubt if theirs is quite in that style.

Unused Camino 1-
third blouse for evening, no-one dresses up
spork
paperback book - preferred to explore, talk, contemplate
most meds, so took fewer next time
sunscreen - long sleeves and trousers and big hat plus facecream with SPF gave me good protection
Unused Camino 2-
ear plugs, sleep mask - too tired to care
torch - didn't want to disturb anyone or walk before there was enough light for safety
Barely used - third pair of socks, third pair of knickers, second trousers
Never taken - buff, gloves, liner socks. cutting board/plate/box, water filter, daypack, power bank, trowel, washing line, duct tape, pillow. Spares or alternatives of anything.

But for me weight is very important as it enables the freedom to carry my own pack, and my ageing body thanks me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I always bring three pairs of socks on my Caminos, but have never used the third pair.
In a mountain hut’s log book, I once read the following: “ The most overrated thing in life is sex and the most underrated is a clear pair of dry socks.” I would never leave my 3rd pair of cozy socks behind…

Here’s my list, currently sat in the Costa Vella hotel having finished the Camino Frances from Leon today, I’ve used absolutely everything on the list, and aside from food and drink have only wanted for a few items, large safety pins to finish drying laundry on my pack, small scissors to trim Compeed, and the Marmot hoodie I bought in Ponferrada as it’s far more practical than the Merino long sleeve, which although I used it I’d have preferred a third Patagonia Capilene long sleeve.

The running kit will be used tomorrow, and was worn while waiting for laundry, forum observations that the battery pack was too large were correct, a smaller one would suffice, however I already owned the Anker.

Camino Frances September packing list

In a mountain hut’s log book, I once read the following: “ The most overrated thing in life is sex and the most underrated is a clear pair of dry socks.” I would never leave my 3rd pair of cozy socks behind…
I have never used them, but will still continue to bring them; next week on the Camino de Madrid.

Thanks x
If you have camping items. I doubt you'll be able to get under 8kg. I could probably get by with one convertible pant and gym shorts, two of everything else, socks, underwear and shirts.

Currently I'm carrying gym shorts (nice to sleep in), shorts, convertible pants and three of everything else. When I've washed stuff, sometimes they have not been dry so I pack them in hopes I'll be able to hang them to dry at next stop. So, I'm good with carrying the two pants/shorts and 3 of all else.
I've been using Vaseline on my feet daily and no blister issues this time but really I think it was my gortex shoes that were the problem before.

I pared down a little after my first camino but didn't change after the second for the current, third camino.

"Plum tuckered"... Brilliant 😆

A selection of Camino Jewellery
"Plum tuckered"... Brilliant 😆
I haven't heard this expression for years, but brings back memories of my childhood. My mother raised five kids and would sometimes say, "I'm plumb tuckered out".
After a day walking on the Camino, that's exactly how I feel, too.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

water filterkit100yes?
bank cardsdocuments25yes
buffhiking clothes35yes
knee sockhiking kit65yes
Sunscreenhiking kit60yes
caphiking kit50yes
Tissueshiking kit25yes
whistlehiking kit10yes
first aid kitKIT265yes
reading bookKIT175yes
NotebookKIT165yes?
duck tapeKIT70yes?
washing lineKIT65yes?
small pen knifeKIT35yes
head torchKIT30yes
PenKIT10yes
Bum bagorganiser117yes
soaptoiletries60yes
Deodoranttoiletries45yes
Razortoiletries10yes
Bug Spraytoiletries50yes
poncho waterproof300yes
ankle bracefirst aid40??
trowelhiking kit40??
LEATHERMANKIT285??
pillowsleep system245??

IMHO:

Toiletries: soap + moisturizer = shampoo bar and vaseline.

I brought the same, plus leave-in conditioner for my hair. Ended up ditching everything. I use my solid shampoo bar as soap and moisturise the dry bits with a bit of vaseline now.

Rain gear: heavy rain jacket + light rain jacket + poncho = poncho.

I would bring one reliable waterproof outer layer and invest in a thermal ski base layer for warmth. If your bag already comes with a rain cover I wouldn't even bother with the poncho and just wear a rain jacket as my main waterproof layer, just make sure to size up so you can layer up!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For anyone looking through old threads, I am on the Camino now (started the Aragonese Way at Oloron on 13th Oct).

I have absolutely needed winter stuff… I have needed down jacket as well as a fleece, decent sleeping bag, winter socks (three pairs are useful), gloves and fleece buffs / snoods etc. perhaps the weather is particularly bad this year but several aubergines I stayed in had no heating or blankets and I have been grateful for my bag and thermals on many occasions and still have a good month to finisterre having started on the 13th Oct in Oloron (crossing on aragonese way).

The weather changed over night a couple of weeks back and it got very cold very quick. I have just bought a round of stuff that I opted to leave when I did my final pack. Easy to get stuff in Spain of course and no hardship, but for those on a budget, you will get used to your backpack being a bit heavier after a week or so… just take it easy. Packing for cross season is defo needed this time of year.

Buen camino xxx

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Third change of clothes. Wore them on the plane back home.

Spare anything, because stores exist. Also, anything that can be replaced by my phone.

While i'm late to the party i took the chance to make my theoretical autum/cold season Camino kit:

Base is my 3,6kg kit linked in my signature.

Changes would be:
- LT instead of SL version of the Atom Jacket --> +100g
- Extra fleece pullover --> +200g
- Longjohns --> +200g (estimate, theres most likely lighter ones)
- sturdier Rain setup. Either better Jacket or Poncho --> +300g (estimate)
- extra Beanie --> +50g (estimate)

So that would most likely be well enough to keep me comfortable into the single digit negatve Celcius and my pack would still be only at around 4,5kg at its worst.

I would also likely chose boots over runners for this season, but well, that doesnt count towards pack weight.
I am still debating if i would improve my sleep setup for a warmer sleeping bag, so that would add another few hundred gramms and I'll maybe end up at 5kg.

I understand not everybody can dial in his/her pack the way i do and/or does have the budget for the pricier of my items. Still i think that 6kg should be well within the reach of almost everybody.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To be honest, I wouldn't weigh every single item.

In my opinion the overall pack weight "on paper" is not that important - what is important is that you can carry it comfortably, without problems, for several hiking days in a row with the backpack you have. For that, training walks are useful.

For some people even 6kg is too much and others feel good even with 15kg or more.

For me, 8-10kg is totally fine, 12 is still good, everything until 15 is okay (some days I had to carry ~4l of water, on a route with not much infrastructure). But that weight ist only possible with a certain kind of backpack. With an ultralight backpack it would probably be a nightmare. With the pack I have, 12kg feel totally okay and 8kg feels like almost no pack at all!

A few things that are probably not needed if you don't regularly wild camp (I do carry camping gear (and use it!) and never needed any of that):

- water filter (tap water is fine)
- powerbank (you can charge at your accommodation and even at cafes / bars, I offer a 1€ or so for that service and never got a "no")
-trowel (there are toilets in bars and cafés, buy a coffee or offer 1€ for use of the bathroom)
- leatherman (a lightweight knife like an opinel is usually enough, add a plastic spork if you wish)

I'd also say you can cut down on clothes a lot (!).

Since you did weigh everything: that towel is way too heavy. A dish towel or microfiber towel are lightweight and do the job.

Unpopular opinion: first aid kit is a good idea, including a space blanket. Rule #1 in case of emergency is, in an emergency the next pharmacy is usually far away or closed! A first aid kit doesn't only help yourself but can potentially help others.

Imagine finding a fellow pilgrim who fell down somewhere, and you don't even have a space blanket to cover them or a bandage to stop bleeding until an ambulance arrives!

Last edited:
I should read more carefully - noticed too late that the thread is already older. Sorry. Deleted unnecessary answer.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Imagine finding a fellow pilgrim who fell down somewhere, and you don't even have a space blanket to cover them or a bandage to stop bleeding until an ambulance arrives!
Hope the fellow pilgrim has what is needed...

Hope the fellow pilgrim has what is needed...

I often read that people don't bring a first aid kit (apart from some bandaids/compeed or a few Ibuprofen) because "there are many pharmacys" and also "there are so many other pilgrims, there will be someone else with a first aid kit".

That's a perfect way to ensure that in the end, nobody has one when it is needed.

I wouldn't want to have to "hope" that someone else has a first aid kit in an emergency situation. It's reckless, in my opinion, to not bring one.

A tiny newly formed blister or a mild headache of course can wait until the next pharmacy without too much risk, but for an emergency (for example an accident, a heat stroke...) a good first aid kit can be vital, and not having one problematic.

Most pilgrims will never need it, but in my opinion a first aid kit is the one item one should always have, and hope you don't need it. That's potentially dead weight I am happy to carry.

I also bring one on day walks at home, and yes, I did need it several times already (thankfully only for minor injuries and managable heat exhaustion), for myself as well as someone else who did not have one.

Personal decisions, of course, but it's better to cut down weight on unnecessary electronics (power banks ect.) or cosmetic items, for example, than leaving out essentials, in my opinion.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

water filterkit100yes?
bank cardsdocuments25yes
buffhiking clothes35yes
knee sockhiking kit65yes
Sunscreenhiking kit60yes
caphiking kit50yes
Tissueshiking kit25yes
whistlehiking kit10yes
first aid kitKIT265yes
reading bookKIT175yes
NotebookKIT165yes?
duck tapeKIT70yes?
washing lineKIT65yes?
small pen knifeKIT35yes
head torchKIT30yes
PenKIT10yes
Bum bagorganiser117yes
soaptoiletries60yes
Deodoranttoiletries45yes
Razortoiletries10yes
Bug Spraytoiletries50yes
poncho waterproof300yes
ankle bracefirst aid40??
trowelhiking kit40??
LEATHERMANKIT285??
pillowsleep system245??

If it was me I would ditch.....
Water filter
Leatherman
Pillow
Guidebook (use the app)
Towel seems heavy. mine is 80 g.

Yep… left all those except the towel (time and money meant I didn’t change up)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I should read more carefully - noticed too late that the thread is already older. Sorry. Deleted unnecessary answer.
I read your original comment and thought it was right in the money. Pack what you think you will need and see if you are comfortable carrying.

What you need on the way may change according to your insight, experience, the weather etc, but you can shift as you go.

Focus better to be need and capability of carrying over arbitrary weight.

Feel like I have learned so much through people, discussions and the whole process. So interesting!

I walked the Levante and Invierno in Feb/Mar. I lived in a smart wool tshirt with my Arcteryx Squamish Hoodie over the top with a down vest if it was cold. For bottons I tended to wear my Paramo Cascada 2 pants. If it was warmer I would wear my Purple Rain hiking skirt with 2XL compression thermal leggings. The Cascada pants are rainproof. If they do get damp (my poncho let me down and water wicked in from above) you will stay warm which is the most important thing.
I also swear by glove liners and buffs to keep your neck and ears warm. I had a normal buff and a fleece one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Levante and Invierno in Feb/Mar. I lived in a smart wool tshirt with my Arcteryx Squamish Hoodie over the top with a down vest if it was cold. For bottons I tended to wear my Paramo Cascada 2 pants. If it was warmer I would wear my Purple Rain hiking skirt with 2XL compression thermal leggings. The Cascada pants are rainproof. If they do get damp (my poncho let me down and water wicked in from above) you will stay warm which is the most important thing.
I also swear by glove liners and buffs to keep your neck and ears warm. I had a normal buff and a fleece one.
How great is the Arcteryx Squamish hey Donna? I wear mine all the time on NZ tramping trips. I find it adds so much warmth over any layer yet is so superlight itself.
...and I have a Purple Rain Skirt too! It's fantastic! 🤗
#likeminds

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.