• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toulouse to SJPDP

Grant Pedersen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés & Fisterree April-May 2017.
Hi Team,

I walked the fron St Jean to Fisterre in 2017 and am excited to return in two weeks. However, I will be starting in Toulouse and finishing in Santiago for this pilgrimage and will be doing it on bike due to time limits, work etc… (please forgive me strict walkers….). One question I have is how well marked is this Camino from Toulouse to St Jean? Many thanks, Grant

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Toulouse is on the Camino Arles which crosses the Pyrenees into Spain via the Col du Somport, further south than the SJPP / Roncesvalles crossing.

If you want to go to SJPP, you can switch from thé Camino Arles to the Camino Piemont at Oloron Saint Marie. Those two Caminos intersect just before the town.

Both routes are pretty well marked but I’ve only walked both, not cycled. There are a few sections between Oloron St Marie and SJPP where I’d imagine you may need to take the road rather than thé camino path.

An alternative …. If you stay on the Camino Arles, you’ll cross over to Spain at the Col du Somport and be on the Camino Aragones (aka Camino Frances via Aragon). The Aragones arrives in Obanos / Puenta de la Reina - after about 200 kms from memory - you can continue on the Frances from there. 😎

Last edited by a moderator:
An alternative …. If you stay on the Camino Arles, you’ll cross over to Spain at the Col du Somport and be on the Camino Aragones (aka Camino Frances via Aragon). The Aragones arrives in Obanos / Puenta de la Reina - after about 200 kms from memory - you can continue on the Frances from there. 😎
The well-marked walk from Lourdes to Oloron, and then south from Oloron to the Somport Pass and Canfranc Estacion, is the most magnificently beautiful Camino walking I ever enjoyed. Please consider it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Team,

I walked the fron St Jean to Fisterre in 2017 and am excited to return in two weeks. However, I will be starting in Toulouse and finishing in Santiago for this pilgrimage and will be doing it on bike due to time limits, work etc… (please forgive me strict walkers….). One question I have is how well marked is this Camino from Toulouse to St Jean? Many thanks, Grant
I just saw a notification from the tourist office of Haut Béarn/Oloron Ste Marie recommending that walkers take the bus between Borce and Urdos because of construction of the Fort du Portalet catwalk on the RN 134 starting May 2.

Attachments

• BEDOUS_CANFRANC-a-compter-du-11122022.pdf
    578.8 KB · Views: 18
I just saw a notification from the tourist office of Haut Béarn/Oloron Ste Marie recommending that walkers take the bus between Borce and Urdos because of construction of the Fort du Portalet catwalk on the RN 134 starting May 2.
Indeed, correct…I walked all the way but took the bus in ETSAUT. The bus drives through the tunnel, therefore you don’t get a chance to do high mountain climbing. The bus costs 2,30€ per passenger. Large construction on the N134. Saw no fort due to heavy rains and clouds.

Hi Team,

You are forgiven :p

Arles > to the End of the world is high up my bucket list

enjoy the biking, don't forget to give the poor tired bag carrying walkers some warning you are coming !!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The well-marked walk from Lourdes to Oloron, and then south from Oloron to the Somport Pass and Canfranc Estacion, is the most magnificently beautiful Camino walking I ever enjoyed. Please consider it.
YES!!! We did precisely this: Lourdes to Oleron to Somport and on to Jaca and beyond on the Camino Aragones. To this day, we pinch ourselves as to whether it was real or a dream. It is truly a glorious camino path with natural beauty at every turn and so many historic sites. The path is very well marked.

@Grant Pedersen just for clarity.

Lourdes to Oloron St Marie mentioned in a few posts above is the Camino Piemont.
Toulouse to Oloron St Marie is the Camino Arles.

Lots of choices. you can find information for both on gronze 😎

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just finished walking Toulouse to Jaca on my pilgrimage from Rome to Santiago which I'm in doing gradually 3 weeks at a time. I spent a lot of time reading the posts about this section and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back