• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toulouse to SJPdP - March or August

SongKhonGair

Time of past OR future Camino
April - June 2024,
Toulouse - SdC
Bonjour!

My wife and I (very early 60s) are planning to make a pilgrimage to SdC in 2024. And having just last week visited / enjoyed the Toulouse region as tourists, are planning to start there or thereabouts - to see what we can of the French / Basque Country within the time limit of our Visas.

The question is, would it be better to start in early March (around the 10th) or late August (preferred, around the 20th). Mostly concerned with accomodation.

At our age I would like to play it by ear as much as possible regarding distance covered each day, at least until we put a good few miles into our legs, so availability of accomodation at short notice is important. I know August is the big month for French annual holidays. Will the last week of August be swarming with hikers / holidaymakers? Would the first week of September be better?

A bit of background: we will have ~83 days for the pilgrimage, given we are only allowed 90 days in the Schengen Zone. At our age I am figuring on covering around 2/3 of the "recommended stage" distances per day. So Toulouse to SdC may take us ~82 days, including rest / sightseeing days. That's cutting it fine, and we may therefore start several stages beyond Toulouse after getting our first stamp at Basilique Saint-Sernin de Toulouse, assuming that is not frowned upon.

Oh, and we would join the path to SJPdP at Oloron-Sainte-Marie (IIRC).

But bottom line, would it be better for us to start in March or August, in your opinion?

Merci

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would myself prefer end of august as starting period from Toulouse. It's a wonderful itinerary. In Oloron you have a choice ,either go to SJPP on the well known Camino Frances (remember that SJPP to Roncesvalles is a very long and steep stage ) or switch to the Camino Aragones thru Col du Somport ending up on the Camino Frances at Puente de la Reina . Have a look on gronze.com As far as daily mileage ,you'll soon find out that after a few days of walking your legs will find 2/3 of the suggested stages to be a quite reasonable target !!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot (88).png
    Screenshot (88).png
    235.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thank you @giorgio for your reply. Your enthusiasm for our Camino route tells me we made a good choice. 🙂
I have begun looking at gronze.com already, thank you. I haven't found that map yet though. I will get to know gronze.com very well I think in the next year!
Gronze.com lists both the stages to Col du Somport and to Roncesvalles as difficulty '5', so it seemed like a tough day on either route. But it being our first Camino we want to go thru SJPdP to experience the throng of pilgrims, and for the facilities on that route. We would book ahead and take two days to walk to Roncesvalles.
Those first few days though... We shall have to be conservative with our mileage estimates and book ahead if we go in August. Just means more time for sightseeing!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you @giorgio for your reply. Your enthusiasm for our Camino route tells me we made a good choice. 🙂
I have begun looking at gronze.com already, thank you. I haven't found that map yet though. I will get to know gronze.com very well I think in the next year!
Gronze.com lists both the stages to Col du Somport and to Roncesvalles as difficulty '5', so it seemed like a tough day on either route. But it being our first Camino we want to go thru SJPdP to experience the throng of pilgrims, and for the facilities on that route. We would book ahead and take two days to walk to Roncesvalles.
Those first few days though... We shall have to be conservative with our mileage estimates and book ahead if we go in August. Just means more time for sightseeing!!
Greetings, what a great beginning by choosing Toulouse for your Camino. I lived there several decades ago and committed to the southwest part of France as a place of great beauty and wonderful people. I would not worry too much about which stage you take through the Pyrenees mountains - by the time you arrive you will have your hiking legs and be prepared.
One thought given your time constraints is to become comfortable with the idea of using a bus to jump ahead when you think it necessary. I am not committed that every Camino path demands that we walk every step. At times, it will work out better to jump ahead to ensure that you personally are comfortable walking within the remaining time available.
The timing of your Camino is based on your season of preference. What do you tolerate better, hot or chilly weather? I enjoy the Spring of the year and deal better with chilly days, and I also enjoy rain. Though as I have aged, I have gained a greater appreciation for hot weather. Choose the season you enjoy most and you will find even greater pleasure on your Way.
Lastly, you may want to think of passing through Lourdes also. From there you have a couple of options and some beautiful stages.
We will all be cheering you on. Without doubt, you will have a memorable Camino.

Sounds like you have some great reasons for going via SJPdP, but I can't resist saying that the walk up from Oloron-Ste-Marie to Somport is one of my absolute favourite camino stages, really beautiful mountain scenery, and some lovely villages to stay in.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. More new questions for me than answers, but in a very good way! You have given us advice, suggestions and ideas, much appreciated.

We will take a train several stages beyond Toulouse as our starting point. And take a bus thru later stages if we feel the need, and feel no shame about it!

We will walk via Lourdes. That is an opportunity too good to miss. I have found the GR route that links Marciac with Lourdes.

The Somport pass is tempting... Spectacular mountain scenery, lovely people, and delightful small villages are the main reasons we will start in France. I could walk the entire Camino in solitude, my wife however is the type that will have 15 new close friends by the end of it. So I think SJPdP may win out. 😄

We had decided a March start is more our style in regards to weather, but I realise the mountain passes may not be open yet for our early April crossing. The Napolean pass is forbidden until 1 April and may not open even then due to conditions. The Somport pass is at higher altitude, and presumably opens even later. I shall look into that, but this I think tips the balance to an August start.

So it is a likely August start beyond Toulouse, detour thru Lourdes, mountain pass yet undecided. Thank you all for your help!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just finished walking Toulouse to Jaca on my pilgrimage from Rome to Santiago which I'm in doing gradually 3 weeks at a time. I spent a lot of time reading the posts about this section and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back