• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transfers at Madrid

Bmalan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés May 2018
This is my first Camino! Hence some bad planning... on 11 May, I land in Madrid (from Lisbon) at Terminal 2, at 15h30, and have to get a bus to Astorga. My only two options are taking the bus at T4, which leaves at 16h45, or the bus from Estacion Sur, which leaves at 17h45. Either way, I arrive in Astorga 21h45 which is already late, so I really have no other travel option. Will 1h15 be enough for me to get from T2 to T4 and onto the airport bus, or would it be better to grab a taxi to Estacion Sur for the 17h45 bus (for which I have 2h45)? I have tried to search in previous threads... please help!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is my first Camino! Hence some bad planning... on 11 May, I land in Madrid (from Lisbon) at Terminal 2, at 15h30, and have to get a bus to Astorga. My only two options are taking the bus at T4, which leaves at 16h45, or the bus from Estacion Sur, which leaves at 17h45. Either way, I arrive in Astorga 21h45 which is already late, so I really have no other travel option. Will 1h15 be enough for me to get from T2 to T4 and onto the airport bus, or would it be better to grab a taxi to Estacion Sur for the 17h45 bus (for which I have 2h45)? I have tried to search in previous threads... please help!
Hi, Bmalan,
Welcome to the forum. First thing, know that it is totally normal to have pre-Camino nerves, jitters and anxiety, so if you weren't worrying about this you would be worrying about something else. ;)

If you arrive on time, and if you are not checking luggage (that would be a priority of mine), you should have plenty of time to make it over to T4. The buses run very frequently and take about 10 minutes, if memory serves. A few years ago, on a non-Camino trip, our flight into T4 arrived too late to make our connection, and the Iberia people rebooked us on an EasyJet flight leaving out of T2 about an hour and twenty minutes later. We also had to go pick up our checked luggage at T4 and then take the bus, check in for our flight in T2, get through security, and to the gate. We made it with time to spare. Just to say that if you are on time you should make it fine.

The fact that both buses arrive at the same time leads me to believe it is the same bus with a stop at both places. And one last comment --9:45 pm is not late in Spain. People are just starting to think about going out to dinner at that time, so you will find lots of people and activity in the streets. So, don't worry, things will work out! Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
According to the information on the Gronze website the albergue closes at 11pm over the summer (and 10pm the rest of the year - I'm assuming May counts as summer?) The private albergue closes at 10:30pm. You can't reserve at either. You should be ok, but you might want to make sure you know the exact route you need to take from the bus depot to your accommodation once in Astorga, as they tend to be quite strict about curfews.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid Chamartín early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Hello fellow pilgrims, we are starting the Norte on June 7. Any advice on the best way to get to San Sabastian from Madrid? Thank you in advance for your help.
I was looking at Alsa bus tickets to get from Pamplona to SJPDP. We plan to take 1 carry on bag to send from SJPDP to Ivar. The bus ticket mentions size restrictions for an extra bag, etc.. What...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back