• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Travel to/from Valenca

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I received an e-mail from a person wanting more information on how to get from Valenca (or Tui) to Santiago de Compostela. This is from the border area Portugal - Spain.

I know we have had a similar question here earlier, but we have not found a good answer.

I was hoping that now since some time has passed, someone maybe has tried and found a good solution on how to travel this stretch. I know that the bus that goes from Lisbon-Porto-Santiago passes through, but not sure how often it stops.

If anyone has new information on this, please post here

Greetings from cloudy Santiago,
Ivar
(Yesterday we had 32c :!: )

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
ivar said:
I know we have had a similar question here earlier, but we have not found a good answer.

maybe that's because there is no good answer ;-)

The usual story with international border crossings: local traffic is much greater than international traffic. The best thing to do is not to start from Valença but walk over the bridge to Tuy and catch a bus there, via Vigo. (Train service Vigo-Santiago-Corunna is good; service S from Vigo poor.)

P.S. don't forget the hour's time difference Spain-Portugal

I guess you are right... :wink:

Hmm... I need to talk to the buss companies; they need to post their schedules somewhere!! :roll:

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
afaik, there are only 2 trains a day over the P/E border (I just posted a link to the timetable in another thread viewtopic.php?p=1179#1179 - afaik, those are the only trains to Tuy too, though the Vigo-Orense line (3 trains a day) stops nearby at an obscure hamlet called Guillarei)
and 1 bus a day (the Santiago-Porto bus you mention, though I don't know where that stops either). Also afaik, that bus is the only direct link Santiago-Portugal, though there's quite a good bus service Tuy-Vigo.

I went on the train once from Viana do Castelo to Vigo; it trundles across the river at about 10km/hr - though you do get good views of Tuy. I have also been on the Vigo-Tuy bus, though I can't remember a thing about the journey.

Most read last week in this forum