Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Travel to/from Valenca

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I received an e-mail from a person wanting more information on how to get from Valenca (or Tui) to Santiago de Compostela. This is from the border area Portugal - Spain.

I know we have had a similar question here earlier, but we have not found a good answer.

I was hoping that now since some time has passed, someone maybe has tried and found a good solution on how to travel this stretch. I know that the bus that goes from Lisbon-Porto-Santiago passes through, but not sure how often it stops.

If anyone has new information on this, please post here :D

Greetings from cloudy Santiago,
Ivar
(Yesterday we had 32c :!: )

how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
ivar said:
I know we have had a similar question here earlier, but we have not found a good answer.

maybe that's because there is no good answer ;-)

The usual story with international border crossings: local traffic is much greater than international traffic. The best thing to do is not to start from Valença but walk over the bridge to Tuy and catch a bus there, via Vigo. (Train service Vigo-Santiago-Corunna is good; service S from Vigo poor.)

P.S. don't forget the hour's time difference Spain-Portugal

afaik, there are only 2 trains a day over the P/E border (I just posted a link to the timetable in another thread viewtopic.php?p=1179#1179 - afaik, those are the only trains to Tuy too, though the Vigo-Orense line (3 trains a day) stops nearby at an obscure hamlet called Guillarei)
and 1 bus a day (the Santiago-Porto bus you mention, though I don't know where that stops either). Also afaik, that bus is the only direct link Santiago-Portugal, though there's quite a good bus service Tuy-Vigo.

I went on the train once from Viana do Castelo to Vigo; it trundles across the river at about 10km/hr - though you do get good views of Tuy. I have also been on the Vigo-Tuy bus, though I can't remember a thing about the journey.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads