A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Travel to/from Valenca

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I received an e-mail from a person wanting more information on how to get from Valenca (or Tui) to Santiago de Compostela. This is from the border area Portugal - Spain.

I know we have had a similar question here earlier, but we have not found a good answer.

I was hoping that now since some time has passed, someone maybe has tried and found a good solution on how to travel this stretch. I know that the bus that goes from Lisbon-Porto-Santiago passes through, but not sure how often it stops.

If anyone has new information on this, please post here :D

Greetings from cloudy Santiago,
Ivar
(Yesterday we had 32c :!: )

ivar said:
I know we have had a similar question here earlier, but we have not found a good answer.
maybe that's because there is no good answer ;-)

The usual story with international border crossings: local traffic is much greater than international traffic. The best thing to do is not to start from Valença but walk over the bridge to Tuy and catch a bus there, via Vigo. (Train service Vigo-Santiago-Corunna is good; service S from Vigo poor.)

P.S. don't forget the hour's time difference Spain-Portugal

afaik, there are only 2 trains a day over the P/E border (I just posted a link to the timetable in another thread viewtopic.php?p=1179#1179 - afaik, those are the only trains to Tuy too, though the Vigo-Orense line (3 trains a day) stops nearby at an obscure hamlet called Guillarei)
and 1 bus a day (the Santiago-Porto bus you mention, though I don't know where that stops either). Also afaik, that bus is the only direct link Santiago-Portugal, though there's quite a good bus service Tuy-Vigo.

I went on the train once from Viana do Castelo to Vigo; it trundles across the river at about 10km/hr - though you do get good views of Tuy. I have also been on the Vigo-Tuy bus, though I can't remember a thing about the journey.

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 114 14.5%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%