• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Traveling to SJPdP from Barcelona in one day - tips?

johnpcauchi

Dear all,

I can't even being to say how looking forward I am to doing the Camino. I've been wanting to do it for years - and here I am, 3 weeks from doing so!

Now - I'll be leaving Barcelona first thing in the morning on the 15th of April and plan on getting to Saint Jean by the late evening / early night, if not before.

Can anyone give me some tips? I'm on a budget, so flights are most likely out of the question. However I'd be willing to consider them if they'd be cheap.

What is the fastest/easiest way of getting to SJ? Does it have to take around 17 hrs, as most websites seem to suggest?

Looking forward to this journey,
John

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My wife and I took the train from Barcelona to Pamplona, and then the bus to Roncevalles. I don't recall the exact schedule, but I believe the train left around 09:00 and then we had to wait a few hours for the last bus of the day to Roncevalles. We arrived there late in the day. As for something that gets to SJ, I can't say. It isn't too far, so I suspect one could get a taxi from there.

There is a train to Pamplona at 7.30 and a bus from Pamplona to St. Jean at 17.30

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I was researching the trip from Pamplona to St Jean during 15- 20 April 2014, I'm sure I came across the information that the bus that usually runs from Roncesvalles to St Jean was not running between [approx.] April 7th and April 30th. It is was a local company taking an 'Easter' break. The advice I got from folk on the forum was one could perhaps meet up with other pilgrims at the Pamplona or Roncesvalles bus station in order to share a taxi. Please don't hold me to this information, rather research via the bus company timetables for the current information. Good luck!!

Most read last week in this forum