• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to SJPP in one day?

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese coastal Camino, 01.09.23-15.09.23
I’m going to walk SJPP to Burgos in May 2024 and planning to take the train from Madrid to Pamplona after I land. Is it fairly easy to share a taxi from Pamplona to SJPP? I know it will be a long day, but this is similar to what I did for my first Camino (Portuguese Coastal from Porto). I’m seeing that many people stay the night in Pamplona then get the bus to SJPP the next day. Wondering if I should switch my travel plans.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is it fairly easy to share a taxi from Pamplona to SJPP?
Yes, you will probably see other pilgrims on the train to Pamplona. You can reserve a taxi with this company and they will attempt to pool you with other pilgrims.

There are buses that go to SJPP as well. I took a bus from the Pamplona train station to the central part of the city and then roamed around for a bit. From the central part of Pamplona, it was an easy walk to the bus station. I belive the one I took left at 5:00 PM and got into SJPP just after 7. The Can=mino office was still open at that time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last month the Alsa bus from Pamplona to SJPP was nice, comfortable and full of other pilgrims. The bus left at noon. I thoroughly enjoyed spending time overnight in Pamplona beforehand. Also enjoyed arriving in SJPP with part of a day to spend there.

It’s a good idea to book in advance at Alsa.con.

I’m going to walk SJPP to Burgos in May 2024 and planning to take the train from Madrid to Pamplona after I land. Is it fairly easy to share a taxi from Pamplona to SJPP? I know it will be a long day, but this is similar to what I did for my first Camino (Portuguese Coastal from Porto). I’m seeing that many people stay the night in Pamplona then get the bus to SJPP the next day. Wondering if I should switch my travel plans.
You will likely see/meet other pilgrims on the train from Madrid to Pamplona. At the alsa train station, if don't get there in time to catch a train to SJPP, there is an attached taxi area in the lower floor. You can usually meet others wanting to share a taxi (if you didn't already on the train) to SJPP.
I've done this twice--both times it was easy to find 1 or 2 people eager to share the cost.
If you walk the next day, I would recommend just to Orisson on the first day (must reserve a bed ahead).
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You will likely see/meet other pilgrims on the train from Madrid to Pamplona. At the alsa train station, if don't get there in time to catch a train to SJPP, there is an attached taxi area in the lower floor. You can usually meet others wanting to share a taxi (if you didn't already on the train) to SJPP.
I've done this twice--both times it was easy to find 1 or 2 people eager to share the cost.
If you walk the next day, I would recommend just to Orisson on the first day (must reserve a bed ahead).
Buen Camino
Many thanks for the tip. I’ve booked Orisson already! Trying not to prebook everything like I did my first Camino. Can’t wait.

Trying not to prebook everything like I did my first Camino.
Could you share why?
I personally think that prebooking everything is a mistake, especially for a first Camino when you probably have no idea how far you can/want to walk each day, but it would be interesting to know what your experience was.

Could you share why?
I personally think that prebooking everything is a mistake, especially for a first Camino when you probably have no idea how far you can/want to walk each day, but it would be interesting to know what your experience was.
In September, I walked the Portuguese Camino coastal from Porto to Santiago. It was my first. I did it alone & pre booked the entire trip. I walked ~20km each day comfortably. It was amazing.
Walking my second in May 2024, I am trying not to prebook, but it’s hard because the planning for me is part of the experience. Plus I need to stay in hotels or guesthouses every few days so I can be assured to get a good night’s sleep (I’m a poor sleeper).
So like you said, I’m trying mightily to not prebook this time around (I’m only walking SJPP to Burgos). But for some days, it feels like I gotta.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many thanks for the tip. I’ve booked Orisson already! Trying not to prebook everything like I did my first Camino. Can’t wait.
Please also book Roncesvalle. Late May of this year, many people arrived (esp after 3 PM) to find there were no beds. Eventually all albergues and hotels all the way to Pamplona were full. Just my experience but it was painful to see so many turned away.

Please also book Roncesvalles. Late May of this year, many people arrived (esp after 3 PM) to find there were no beds. Eventually all albergues and hotels all the way to Pamplona were full. Just my experience but it was painful to see so many turned away.
Many thanks for the tip. I’ve booked Roncesvalles already. I’m starting May 24 next year, will there be biggish crowds? I don’t care either way, just curious.

Many thanks for the tip. I’ve booked Roncesvalles already. I’m starting May 24 next year, will there be biggish crowds? I don’t care either way, just curious.
May and September have been the two most popular months for starting from SJPdP, and the first two weeks of those months have been the busiest, so by the 24th it should be starting to calm down. I would book up to or through Pamplona for that time period though. After that there are more intermediate towns and the pilgrim traffic tends to spread out.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back