This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Visa requirements for Camino

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
I am a US Citizen and a citizen of Ireland and hold passports of both countries. But, my permanent and only residence is in Mexico and I will be flying from Mexico city to Madrid to start my camino. I plan to be in Spain for a maximum of 60 days at which point I will return to Mexico.

Do I need any visa? Which passport should I travel with?

Gracias, amigos.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Neither the U.S. nor Ireland are Schengen countries, so you are limited to a 90-day stay without a visa. For a longer stay, you need a Schengen visa from the country in which you will reside. Your current residence does not matter for visa purposes. Pick your favorite passport for traveling!

Ireland is not a Schengen country but its citizens are part of the European Union. With an Irish passport you need to have your passport to enter Spain, but you do not require a Visa, and don't have the 90 day Schengen limit.
Margaret

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ireland is not a member of the Schengen area, so neither of your passports will give you any specific advantages entering France or Spain.

The US State Department information page on visa requirements is at http://www.immihelp.com/visas/schengenvisa/. It indicates that if you were to travel on a US passport, there is no need to apply for a visa, but will have your passport stamped on arrival. Entry is still (always) at the discretion of the passport control at the point of entry, but unless there is something unusual, this is normally a formality.

It appears that the same arrangements apply for Irish citizens, although most of the sources I can find are at best secondary (eg commercial visa application services).

Regards,

Most read last week in this forum