• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking from England

Vagabond0079

Hi,

I'm planning a trip leaving from my front door in Cambridge the day after Easter 2008. I'm planning on walking to Winchester, then down the Pilgrim's Way to Southampton and taking a ferry to Cherbourg. From there I understand there are some GR routes to Mont St Michele, and down the western part of France, meeting up with the Tours Route around Poitiers. Anybody out there walked the route before? I'm expecting it to take 4-5 months depending on how often I stop to play tourist and how fast I walk.

Any input?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
From England

I can't help with any experiences I'm afraid but I would also like to do this - walking from Newcastle out along Hadrian's wall and down the Pennine Way. That then seems to connect up with various other routes down to the coast.

However, I'm not doing it just yet. Planning a much shorter trip through France this year to see how I get on. I'm also a little put off by how much it might cost in England. We walked Hadrian's Wall last summer and it cost us a lot of money (we were using B&Bs rather than hostels).

Do keep posting.

I'm a little put off by cost as well, but to defray that I've pretty much decided to camp when possible through the countryside, and stay in hostels in the cities. I've also altered my route a bit, choosing instead to head from Cambs down to London, and then pick up the North Downs Way to Dover, probably with a small detour to Canterbury. From there I'll walk to Paris and pick up the Paris/Tours route. I decided to do this because I'm not really restricted by time, and the experience of walking into Paris seems too exciting to pass up. Plus the coastal route, while probably beautiful, is also more likely to be rainy in the spring and I probably wouldn't see a soul until the Pyrenees.

Cheers!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back