• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

walking sticks / poles

rioja routard

reading the post about new age bores, the subject came up of these metal walking sticks.

Surely they are a high tech solution to a low tech problem!

When I got tired or needed more support than my legs would give me I would find a stick which would become my friend until I no longer needed it. They are in abundance, some perfectly suitable to use as a makeshift crutch. Even when I lost one I would find another.

A lot cheaper than shop bought, quieter and no weight!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As a compulsive pole user who used a stave for a lot of years, I can tell you they are not the same.

I still believe the answer, like with so much gear, is to try out the alternatives walking around where you livee before you travel. If something works for you go with it. If you can't perceive a benefit forget about it. If you change your mind you can buy single poles or walking sticks in Spain. If not you will just travel that much more lightly.

Get used to listening less to the experts and more to your own body and experience.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used a single walking pole on my Camino and found it to be very helpful. LIke so many things, it is a matter of personal preference...I found a proper pole helped me a great deal...

Attachments

• Pacer-pole-photo.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 1,088
  • Pacer Pole.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,089

John
Good advice. I use trekking poles because I have bad knee problems on the steep downhill slopes and on any downhill slopes on real long hikes.
I don't like the poles myself and they are cumbersome most of the time (for me), but now that I use poles, when I get to the steep downhill slopes, I have no problems, no knee swelling and no pain!!

Sometimes I use one long staff...falcon is right. It is definitely not the same. I only use one staff now on more casual family hikes when I know there are no long steep downhills. It has a totally different effect and feel.

Every one is different. So John, you are right to say try different things yourself. What works for me, may no work for the next person.
I was reluctant to pay so much for trekking poles, but I am so glad I did (and so are my knees)
I will take them with me for my Camino walk in September.
Only 7 more days and I am on my way!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum