• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Poles

Murgyman

Time of past OR future Camino
None yet
OK, pole experts... I bought myself a pair of rather nice carbon fibre poles the other day to assist my aging knees on the hills. I watched a couple of youtube vids on pole length and "how to" and thought I had it sussed. Only to find that I strongly resembled the Monster in Young Frankenstein as I attempted to actually walk with them 😞
What's the secret, guys? How do I go from "awkward" to "confidently striding into the sunset"? All suggestions warmly welcomed...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Practice, practice, practice... seriously, just go out and walk. It'll come, no worries mate!
Agreed! At first I was actively concentrating on coordinating movement of poles and feet. With enough practice it becomes almost automatic - the poles move as your arms move. Helps if you have experience in marching of course! :cool: Also remember that the poles should not be vertical - they need to be angled behind you to be fully effective.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Always wondered why it is not easy to get into:
I bet it is the rhythm. Take a stroll like you usually do, notice how your arm swings.
Your hand will swing forward as the foot on the opposite side is put forward!
Now put your hands lightly on the handles of your poles and repeat your already imprinted pattern, turn the poles slightly back so as to push ever so slightly..
Preferably practice out of sight of anybody.....and do not overthink, the rhythm is already there...

I brought my collapsible Leki set 10 years ago and dared not practice at home on the streets for fear of embarrassment, and the original rubber still not worn out. Take them off in grass and gravel and on rocks, so they will bite,
But for the Love of Sweet and Merciful God, put them back on in the city as it will drive the locals, well loco from the tick tick tick noise....

the best of luck

Fond of The Way: Notice how Joost, the Dutchman, uses them absolutely correctly the first few days, ( the film is shot in correct sequence), but changes to the Wrong way of using them as the days go by, to give some awkwardness to the figure...

Last edited:
In the backpacking world they say to shorten the pole when you are hiking up a mountain and to lengthen it when walking up a mountain. But my big tip about hiking poles is to put some stickers or ribbons on them so you can tell they are yours. Sometimes at albergues everyone is putting their poles into one barrel. One morning when it was dark, I went and got my hiking poles. They looked exactly the same in the dim light, and they were the exact same model. But later in the day I noticed I had one black pole and one grey pole. I kept looking for someone else who had one black pole and one grey pole, but never found that person.

OK, pole experts... I bought myself a pair of rather nice carbon fibre poles the other day to assist my aging knees on the hills. I watched a couple of youtube vids on pole length and "how to" and thought I had it sussed. Only to find that I strongly resembled the Monster in Young Frankenstein as I attempted to actually walk with them 😞
What's the secret, guys? How do I go from "awkward" to "confidently striding into the sunset"? All suggestions warmly welcomed...
The tips above are great. Never marched in my life, but I love the parallel, it’s spot on. As is the reminder to angle the poles backwards. I’ll send you a PM with the best video I’ve seen, (I watched too many!) then it’s just practising. Took me three days, now I wouldn’t be without them.
Take them off in grass and gravel and on rocks, so they will bite
Actually, it’s not necessary. Yes, the carbide tips are specifically designed to give more grip on ice and hard rock. However the majority of the more travelled caminos do not travel across the type of extremely rocky terrain that they're designed for.

In fact, in some parks for example , rubber tips are recommended or even required to protect sensitive trails, ecosystems, and historic areas.

And as for the rest, it is proven that the rubber tips actually give you better grip and more stability.

I couldn't agree more with the rest of your comment! I would add 'and your fellow pilgrims'.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the backpacking world they say to shorten the pole when you are hiking up a mountain and to lengthen it when walking up a mountain. But my big tip about hiking poles is to put some stickers or ribbons on them so you can tell they are yours. Sometimes at albergues everyone is putting their poles into one barrel. One morning when it was dark, I went and got my hiking poles. They looked exactly the same in the dim light, and they were the exact same model. But later in the day I noticed I had one black pole and one grey pole. I kept looking for someone else who had one black pole and one grey pole, but never found that person.
Marking your shoes and poles is definitely a good idea. I also clip mine together with a cheap, super light carabiner.

I watched a bunch of videos when I first bought my poles and thought I knew what to do until I started walking. I gave up 2 or 3 times and on the 4th I decided to just hold them in my hands without trying to place them properly. After a couple of minutes I found I was automatically moving them correctly and adjusted my hands on the grips and away I went.

Sometimes we overthink things and make things much more complicated than they really are. By trying not to use them, I learned how to use them lol. Keep at it! You'll get into the rhythm soon enough!

don't worry about awkward...just stay upright.....

As I used to tell my North American colleagues in the UK when they first encountered a roundabout - if you start thinking about it, you’re in trouble.

It is just practice. A bit of active arm-swinging helps you get started. I assume your instructional videos showed you how to insert your hands in the straps? It’s not intuitive, but when you’ve ’got it’ it makes sense.

Take them off in grass and gravel and on rocks, so they will bite

Actually, it’s not necessary. Yes, the carbide tips are specifically designed to give more grip on ice and hard rock
After a few days my rubber tips were on so tightly that I couldn't easily remove them, and put them on again. I had to put them in a vise in order to be able to remove them.

I have recently purchased these tips and replacement pads, and they really do work much better on all surfaces.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As I used to tell my North American colleagues in the UK when they first encountered a roundabout - if you start thinking about it, you’re in trouble.
Way back in another century I worked in a hotel in St Andrews with lots of American guests on golf holidays. They would pick up a hire car at the airport and then meet a roundabout a couple of hundred yards from the airport gate. You could usually tell the ones who chose the wrong way round by the bruises...

Hello, I like to collapse my poles when I get close to my accommodation and attach them to my pack. That way they don't get left behind or mistakingly taken, I get to keep them with me at my bunk on my pack!
Enjoy 😉

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I wrapped "Hello Kitty" duct tape near the tops of my poles for that reason. Few would accidentally walk off with Hello Kitty hiking poles.

Adjust the length until your forearms are horizontal with the poles vertical. Then walk with a natural swing as they help to propel you forward. I found walking poles aided my speed plus gave me much better stability and confidence on rough and loose paths of which there are many on the Camino. You will need to check your backpack as walking poles aren't allowed in the cabin.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Once you get the hang of it, you; ll never go back. Just watch video and watch how you walk, without the poles. See your cadence. Then imitate using the poles on the opposite foot. Left foot, right pole, rigth foot, left pole, and repeat.

You CAN do it!

Don't worry about how you look. I wonder if the poles are too short and you're bent over them? If so, raise them so that your forearms are parallel to the ground. Just walk and let them swing forward, soon you'll forget you have them (until you leave them in a cafe or albergue)! Practice and patience: they are GREAT for climbing hills and bracing down rough terrain.

over time they will feel part of your stride.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Look for a video on Nordic walking. That is the style I use on the flat and up hill. Not what you see in the trekking videos but I think that style works better.
For steep down hill it’s still a bit of a clumsy ‘stick the pole out first and follow after’.

This video is not too bad. I don’t ‘grip the pole tightly’ as per one part of the instruction. I still get enough forward momentum.

Last edited:
Here is an approach that I have used successfully helping others to use their poles:

Firstly, set your poles to the correct length (if they are​
adjustable). Consult the table on page 13 for a length​
guide.​
With wrist straps engaged and lightly holding the grips,​
drop your arms down by your sides allowing the pole​
tips to rest on the ground behind you.​
Now walk with the poles dragging along behind. Try​
to ignore the poles – get into your own natural walking​
rhythm and let the poles follow along.​
We all swing our arms in a natural balancing rhythm​
that doesn’t change when walking with poles. Allow​
your arms to develop their normal swing style with the​
poles still dragging along behind.​
Now begin to engage the poles by allowing the pole​
tips to dig in as they come forward and by pushing​
slightly back as each arm begins to swing backwards.​
Maintain your natural rhythm and style. Gradually​
increase the push back on the swing until you feel the​
poles propelling you forward. Don’t load up excessively​
– just a little weight on each backswing will add to the​
effort.​
If you become overly conscious of the poles or feel​
unnatural, return to dragging the poles along behind​
you without loading them up for a while. When it feels​
comfortable, start loading up again. When you are​
walking with loaded up poles to your natural rhythm​
and style you have mastered the technique – it’s that​
simple.​

Extract from The Australian Bushwalker’s GUIDE TO WALKING POLES published by Helinox Australia

easy.jpg

Here is an approach that I have used successfully helping others to use their poles:

guide.​
effort.​
simple.​

Extract from The Australian Bushwalker’s GUIDE TO WALKING POLES published by Helinox Australia

Spot on @dougfitz . This is how I started to get the co-ordination......
Just around the local sports field.

Once you get used to the co-ordination, you can start to apply weight to the poles.

A key point to add is the use the wrist straps.
Your hands come UP through the straps.
And then down to lightly hold the poles.
And your weight is on the straps with only a VERY light touch on the actual pole.
I only use two fingers to guide the pole.

WRONG.
1707817758007.png

CORRECT. Though it really only needs a light touch from Thumb and forefinger to keep the pole aligned.
All the weight is on the strap.

1707817856896.png

Last edited:
Additionally, I sticker each pole with my name and email so if lost and someone finds them, they can notify me. My carbon poles are expensive, so I usually collapse them, attach them to my pack and take them with me rather than put them in the bucket with all others. If stopping for quick coffee, I may bind them together with a hair tie; no chance of someone else mistakenly taking them, which I know happens. In a rare instance, a friend of mine had one of her poles stolen from the bucket; she knew it was stolen because they left a broken, but much longer pole in its place.

Further to original post, along with practice, watch a few more youtubes. You may have received some not-so- good advice or someone's personal preference. There are several styles of walking with poles. I find that I prefer shorter length poles than usually advised. I keep my arms lower and with poles more angled when they hit the ground, and the tip stays alongside my foot the whole time it is in contact with the ground.

guide.​
effort.​
simple.​

Great advice!

Poles aren't for everyone! If, after giving it your best try, you find you still aren't comfortable using them, consider carrying a single pole to help you in the slippery downhill bits. I found that using poles was a liability when on a narrow and winding path --- less common on the Camino than on other pilgrimages. They managed to get stuck on the side vegetation. A tripping hazard for sure! But, since I wasn't dependent on them yet, I found walking without easier. I also have an issue with one shoulder occasionally and swinging poles made it worse. You are burning more energy with poles than without as well as you are using your arms. That's another issue that may or may not be important to you. It is to me (in my late 60s). But, for balance, they can't be beat on an open path! Hope you find your own personal stride :)

Spot on @dougfitz . This is how I started to get the co-ordination......
Just around the local sports field.

Once you get used to the co-ordination, you can start to apply weight to the poles.

A key point to add is the use the wrist straps.
Your hands come UP through the straps.
And then down to lightly hold the poles.
And your weight is on the straps with only a VERY light touch on the actual pole.
I only use two fingers to guide the pole.

WRONG.
View attachment 164031

CORRECT. Though it really only needs a light touch from Thumb and forefinger to keep the pole aligned.
All the weight is on the strap.

View attachment 164033
The WRONG strap solution is to keep your thumbs free if you fall ( heaven forbid). Ski instructors will tell you that the upside way into the loops will let you lose the grip on the handle and not risk a broken thumb, or even wrist, in the Wrong manner the strap will tie you to still have a grip on the handle as you fall...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I bought cheap poles in SJPP for my Camino Frances in 2016 and even cheaper ones for my Camino Ingles in 2022. For me they're a vital part of being a hiker of a certain age, but can help any hiker. A neighbor of mine in her 60s had to have hip surgery after a fall on relatively flat ground on a local paved trail. So, I bring a pole with me even when I walk my dog. With the many different terrains on the Camino, I found that poles helped to steady and accelerate my gait in all elevations. With certain rocky downhill terrains, I think your poles can be a real lifesaver.

In 2016, I bought poles without any prior experience with them, but a fellow hiker explained that I should use them like ski poles. So, I hiked up the Pyrenees, holding the straps lightly in my hand and pushing backward to steady and propel myself. If used properly, you'll feel an upper body workout at the end of the day and you'll take some of the walking burden off your legs. Someone mentioned the Nordic Track ski machine. The workout you'll feel is like that.

Ok Murgyman, how's it going? Did it fall into place for you? How's the training?

Ok Murgyman, how's it going? Did it fall into place for you? How's the training?
Thanks for following up! To be perfectly honest, I'm not exactly a convert. They're handy for steadying myself when I'm on a shale-y downslope but otherwise they're a bit of a pita to haul around. I will persevere but I wish I could see more of a benefit...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Poles aren't for everyone! If, after giving it your best try, you find you still aren't comfortable using them, consider carrying a single pole to help you in the slippery downhill bits. I found that using poles was a liability when on a narrow and winding path --- less common on the Camino than on other pilgrimages. They managed to get stuck on the side vegetation. A tripping hazard for sure! But, since I wasn't dependent on them yet, I found walking without easier. I also have an issue with one shoulder occasionally and swinging poles made it worse. You are burning more energy with poles than without as well as you are using your arms. That's another issue that may or may not be important to you. It is to me (in my late 60s). But, for balance, they can't be beat on an open path! Hope you find your own personal stride :)
I agree, they are not for everyone! I've really tried to walk with them many times because it's supposed to be good, I just really can't get it to work. Maybe because there are no skis on my legs, so in my head it is completely wrong and my body just wants to tip forward. No, not for me. And you're perfectly fine without if it doesn't work for you.

I agree, they are not for everyone! I've really tried to walk with them many times because it's supposed to be good, I just really can't get it to work. Maybe because there are no skis on my legs, so in my head it is completely wrong and my body just wants to tip forward. No, not for me. And you're perfectly fine without if it doesn't work for you.
And, if they are to help with balance, then it must mean that you train your balance by walking without them?

Thanks for following up! To be perfectly honest, I'm not exactly a convert. They're handy for steadying myself when I'm on a shale-y downslope but otherwise they're a bit of a pita to haul around. I will persevere but I wish I could see more of a benefit...
For myself and people I know who regularly use them, the are a tremendous benefit on ALL downhills and level and uphill. They may not be for everyone. As a last resort you might try walking with someone who uses them correctly to observe techniques.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As KariannNor mentioned, they may not be for everyone. Good for you to give it a go!

otherwise they're a bit of a pita to haul around.
Yea, the poles can be a challenge to carry and access easily when you need them. Many of us carry the Osprey brand of backpacks, not sure if they're available where you are. They have a very nice built-in system to carry the poles that is easy to store them and access them when walking. Here's an image.

poles.png

Good luck!

As KariannNor mentioned, they may not be for everyone. Good for you to give it a go!

Yea, the poles can be a challenge to carry and access easily when you need them. Many of us carry the Osprey brand of backpacks, not sure if they're available where you are. They have a very nice built-in system to carry the poles that is easy to store them and access them when walking. Here's an image.

View attachment 167388

Good luck!
My solution is simple. I just always use them when walking. Then they are easy to access. They are in my hands. :) I figure their job is to carry me, not mine to carry them.

They have a very nice built-in system to carry the poles that is easy to store them and access them when walking. Here's an image.

View attachment 167388

Good luck!
That looks hilarious! An accident waiting to happen.

My solution is simple. I just always use them when walking. Then they are easy to access. They are in my hands. :) I figure their job is to carry me, not mine to carry them.

I’m 100% with David on this. If they ain’t carrying me, (all day, every day) they’re not coming!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That looks hilarious! An accident waiting to happen.

It's really not! The system works very well, never tripped or really had them be in the way, and we have thousands of miles using this system.

I'd be curious if any other Osprey wearing perigrinos has tripped or otherwise experienced an issue?

I just always use them when walking.

Except when you don't want to be walking with them.

Often I might be eating, gesturing, want to walk with hands in my pocket for warmth or sometimes I simply don't want to use them. Sometimes in the morning, when I am just starting out, I don't want them right away as I warm up. However, in 10 minutes or so I do and darn if I'm going to stop to take my pack off after just 10 minutes and futz around with getting my poles out.

I don't find carrying them in my hands to be much fun, so this works for me.

It's a very nice, simple and effective system.

It's really not! The system works very well, never tripped or really had them be in the way, and we have thousands of miles using this system.

I'd be curious if any other Osprey wearing perigrinos has tripped or otherwise experienced an issue?

Except when you don't want to be walking with them.

Often I might be eating, gesturing, want to walk with hands in my pocket for warmth or sometimes I simply don't want to use them. Sometimes in the morning, when I am just starting out, I don't want them right away as I warm up. However, in 10 minutes or so I do and darn if I'm going to stop to take my pack off after just 10 minutes and futz around with getting my poles out.

I don't find carrying them in my hands to be much fun, so this works for me.

It's a very nice, simple and effective system.

@Telelama, I'll take your word for it.

I have to say if I'm eating a snack or taking a photo my poles simply hang from the straps off my wrist. Otherwise they are in my hands, swinging away!

Ah, the beauty of the camino - where we can all be so much the same, and yet so, so different.

Actually, that's the beauty of humanity.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.