• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Frances Way starting 6 April 2013

cloosh

Time of past OR future Camino
April - May 2013
Greetings.....My name is Neil and I arrive from Newfoundland Canada at SJPP on the 5th April, via Biarritz airport, and will have a day in SJPP before heading out for Roncesvalles.
I am 66 years of age and the great thing is, being retired, I can take my time, without a non adjustable schedule forcing me to Santiago. If I want to stop and watch the world go by I will do just that!
Part of the enjoyment of this whole adventure has been the researching, planning, training and consideration of requirements needed.
The majority of the information has come from reading this forum and the excellent pocket guide, "A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago, St Jean - Roncesvalles - Santiago" 2013 edition prepared by John Brierley, which has told me everything from the history of Spain to suggested daily journeys, with good maps, showing even where to fill up at water fountains, where and what it costs to stay overnight, and the adjusted mileage on a daily walk, taking into consideration changes in elevation. There are inspirational words, useful phrases in Spanish, places to write your own notes and dozens of other pieces of worthy knowledge. Heck it is even printed on a water resistant paper!
Best guide book I have ever read and I would suggest a must to have on the trip.
I have not decided whether to continue on to Finnesterre after Santiago.
With some trepidation I look forward to the journey and what is encountered.
Look forward to meeting and listening to others I will meet along the way
Buen Camino
Neil

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
cloosh said:
....My name is Neil and I arrive from Newfoundland Canada at SJPP on the 5th April, via Biarritz airport, and will have a day in SJPP before heading out for Roncesvalles.[...]
With some trepidation I look forward to the journey and what is encountered.
Look forward to meeting and listening to others I will meet along the way
Buen Camino
You will love it, because you obviously have all the assets for being able to master challenges and enjoy the atmosphere :) Let us know about your experiences once you have happily arrived in Santiago :) ! Ultreya!

Hope to see you on the Camino. I leave St. John's'NL on the 15 April and start from St Jean Pied due Pot on the 17 April. Age 65, young fella!
Skipper Bill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
skipperbill64 said:
Hope to see you on the Camino. I leave St. John's'NL on the 15 April and start from St Jean Pied due Pot on the 17 April. Age 65, young fella!
Skipper Bill
Hey Skipper......Sorry just noticed your post. Time before I go (April 3) is short, but not short enough to miss out on a coffee at Timmies if you would like a pre Camino chat. It would be good to swap notes. 765 0033
Neil.

cloosh said:
Greetings.....My name is Neil and I arrive from Newfoundland Canada at SJPP on the 5th April, via Biarritz airport, and will have a day in SJPP before heading out for Roncesvalles.
I am 66 years of age and the great thing is, being retired, I can take my time, without a non adjustable schedule forcing me to Santiago. If I want to stop and watch the world go by I will do just that!

Hello Neil:

My husband and I (beccawrite) will be leaving Roncevalles at the same time! We will keep an eye out for you and hope our paths cross at some point along the way! I am, also, anxiously awaiting our departure, with excitement...and a little nervousness too!! :D Wishing you a wonderful journey and many blessings!

Buen Camino
Becky

beccawrite said:
cloosh said:

Hello Neil:

My husband and I (beccawrite) will be leaving Roncevalles at the same time! We will keep an eye out for you and hope our paths cross at some point along the way! I am, also, anxiously awaiting our departure, with excitement...and a little nervousness too!! :D Wishing you a wonderful journey and many blessings!

Buen Camino
Becky
Becky.....A safety matter....Check out the forum topic....."Advice for Pilgrims Setting off in March 2013".....There is a serious and sadly a deadly problem with the first leg of the journey SJPP to Roncevalles......Weather has been extremely bad in the mountains and snow blocks the Napoleon Route for the moment as has done for the last month. Sadly a Canadian is believed to have ignored advice to not attempt that Route and died as a result. Also a party of Koreans had to be rescued by helicopter and are now facing a huge rescue bill, as they chose to ignore the advice.

Apart from that I look forward to seeing you on the Valcarlos Route or somewhere further up the line. I will be easily recognisable. Just looked for the grey beard staggering from fatigue!!...
Good luck
Buen Camino
Neil

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
cloosh said:
skipperbill64 said:
Skipper Bill
Hey Skipper......Sorry just noticed your post. Time before I go (April 3) is short, but not short enough to miss out on a coffee at Timmies if you would like a pre Camino chat. It would be good to swap notes. 765 0033
Neil.

Hello again Skipper. Turns out I spoke to someone today who knows you. St John's is a pretty small place of course. I work there (sort of :D ) and live in CBS.

Even if you don't get a chance to call me, check out the forum subject...... "Advice for Pilgrims Setting off in March 2013"... There is currently and has been for the last month a serious problem with the first day Camino crossing over into Spain.

The Route Napoleon is completely blocked by snow and sadly a Canadian seems to have ignored advise, chose to try walk it, and died as a result.

His body was found last week at the foot of a cliff.

Also a bunch of Koreans were lifted out by helicopter and are now paying a huge rescue fine for ignoring the word of those who know better.

You will see for the forum that it is almost a must, for the time being, to either ignore trying to leave from SJPP and instead starting from the Spanish side, or head up the Valcarlos route.

Europe has and is still having a really severe winter, which normally by this time is all but over.

May well be that by the time you get going by mid April the weather will have improved, but the there might be a lot of melt water to come down and resulting mud from the thaw which would make the Route Napoleon a dicey option.

Neil.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back