• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Warning to Women Walking Solo

Yes. I agree it is not fair, but females tend to be targeted more than males. On the other hand I am getting close to 60, so I don't ever kid myself I would be able to repel a younger more aggressive, armed individual(s) that wished to rob me. So I tend to keep other walkers in sight as much as possible myself so as not to be a 'soft' target. This seems like common sense to me, others may disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I agree with this.

Predators look for a (easy) prey, they don't want to get hurt, they don't want to get caught, they don't want a duel, like in movies, against another male. They just want to want to "dominate" someone they regard as weaker then them. Proving them that who they regarded as a "prey" is not a prey, but can fight back, more often than not it disrupts their mental state (predator - prey) and may open a window for getting out of dodge. In other words it creates a surprise effect.

I can't say what can be the most effective tool to achieve that, as it depends on age, gender, level of fitness, training, mental state and so on. But a pepper spray kept in a deep pocket or in a bum bag is useless; a blunt or sharp object used for defense without proper training can become very dangerous for the user; a whistle or a rape alarm may be ignored by most people; unless you are a very fast runner, running away from a predator (not incapacitated) may be pointless.

I think everyone has to find the right solutions for themselves, eventually with a help of a (serious) professional, and not to feel afraid or shamed of saying "I am afraid". For me "fear" is what it keeps me from stepping over the edge of a cliff, crossing a road without looking for incoming cars, picking up things from a hot oven without protections and so on. In other words "fear" (in the right amount and processed) is what makes me take steps to be prepared and feel safe.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

HI Stephen, I am walking porto to SDC starting early May. I am hoping there will be a few people on the trail. I read over your website. You reminded me of the dogs...hoping i have no encounters with vicious dogs on my walk. I may see you although i imagine you will be ahead of me. Bom Camino

I walked from Lisboa to SdC in 2016 and walked both alone and in a small group. I didn’t encounter any of the unsavoury type of males mentioned - who unfortunately you can fine anywhere BUT I did experience dogs. These dogs were only protecting their turf, but I was still frightened. I realised that they didn’t understand English and I don’t speak Portuguese so trying to talk to them was a waste of time but very quickly their owners arrived and took them away and were most apologetic. That experience was nothing like doing the VdlP last year and coming face to face with a bull ( I was lost at the time). Interesting how we react when we are out of our comfort zone.
Stay safe, be vigilant. Stick to your route, know where you are and how far to the next town, don’t start too early or walk late.

I always take a "dog dazer" which emits a high frequency noise which humans can't hear, but dogs run away.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000IBRI2Y/?tag=casaivar-21{creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583726541709559&psc=1
Hope this may help you: it's a bit of peace of mind, if nothing else.
Bon camino! I'm off in a fortnight to Portugal, to walk the coastal camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Am off in a fortnight! OK OK I know it's only February! Couldn't wait any longer! I think it should be fine, and slightly cooler than in August!

I bought a dog dazer before my Camino de Invierno but I never had to try it. Does it really work? It was a bit heavy, so I guess I won´t bring it next time.

Hi again, Sparrow!
Well, I planned to walk some time after you....but I simply can't wait that long, and fly to Lisbon tomorrow!!!
Enjoy your camino.
S. x

Don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I couldn’t resist saying bom caminho to you Stephen. So glad you have found a way to keep on walking! I think I remember you telling me that your Ebro so many years ago (when you helped me out so much) was going to be the last. Just shows that hope springs eternal and frequently turns into reality. Lucky you. Would love to hear how it goes for you, will you walk all the way to Santiago? Bom caminho, Laurie

Does the "alert cops" app, post #11 (sorry, I still have not figured out how to quote) give your location to the police?

I bought a dog dazer before my Camino de Invierno but I never had to try it. Does it really work? It was a bit heavy, so I guess I won´t bring it next time.
I can only say it worked on the wild packs in Castellon. But it's in my luggage now!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Each camino I walk is my "final" one, Laurie! On this one, I shall turn 80 on 22nd Feb. I'm only walking for 2 weeks, so won't reach SdC, but plan to return next year to complete it..... oh! no! I can't if its my "final" one !!! .

Most flashers are exhibitioners and get off your reaction . Don't think they mean to rape

I agree. I just found that pepper spray under 5% is allowed in Spain and most airlines will let you bring it in your checked luggage. I carry pepper spray on my keys at home and will be bringing it to my next Camino. Stay safe ladies!
Where do you buy the pepper spray?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I really think it’s a shame that such paranoia has set in, particularly from many who live in the USA which had clear evidence of the high rates of physical and sexual violence against women.
I am soon to start my 3rd Camino and like the previos two, my only means of self defence is my voice and walking poles

Has anyone experienced something like this on the Tuscany route in Italy (Via Francicena)?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I wonder if one can take pepper spray in to either Spain or Italy? I can buy it in my country which is quite dangerous at the moment to move around as a single woman!

I wonder if one can take pepper spray in to either Spain or Italy? I can buy it in my country which is quite dangerous at the moment to move around as a single woman!

Hi Marietjie, you should check if you are allowed to take it on the plane.

Mace Europe says the following about Italy:

and about Spain:

I suppose 'no registration' means number of registration.

http://mace-europe.com/eu-pepper-spray-laws/

Thanks MinaKamina for this very usefull information. If I can buy it there, then I rather not take it on the plane from here!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you so much for this response. May your tribe increase. I'm considering walking this March and I hope there are many people like you around there.

Most read last week in this forum