• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in October

DVT

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles - Oct. 2023, Porto - Oct. 2024
Hi all. We are planning to walk the Camino Porto in October 2024. I did the Ingles in October 2023, but I am wondering if the proximity to the coast would make the weather significantly different.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't done the Ingles in October, but when I did the Portugues out of Porto in the first half of October 2018, the weather was fine.

Since you are talking about proximity to the coast, are you planning to walk the Coastal rather than the Central (in which case, I'll move this thread from the Central sub-forum to the Coastal sub-forum)?
Planning to do the coastal route. Thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
DVT, I hiked Camino Portuguese, leaving Porto on Sept 26, 2023. I hiked the coast from Porto to Viana do Castelo, then took a taxi to Ponte de Lima, then proceeded the central route up through Tui and on to Santiago, 14 days total, arriving in Santiago 10 October. I was surprised how warm the weather was, with several days in the high 80s. I did not experience a single day of rain! Bob

I hiked Porto to Santiago coastal and senda Litoral routes, and spiritual variant from Sept 21- Oct 6, and had hot, sunny weather with no rain. Apparently it poured rain the last two weeks of October and they had flooding. Hard to predict what Oct, 2024 will be like.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
DVT, I hiked Camino Portuguese, leaving Porto on Sept 26, 2023. I hiked the coast from Porto to Viana do Castelo, then took a taxi to Ponte de Lima, then proceeded the central route up through Tui and on to Santiago, 14 days total, arriving in Santiago 10 October. I was surprised how warm the weather was, with several days in the high 80s. I did not experience a single day of rain! Bob
We left Porto the same day! We cut over to the central at Vila da Condo and cut back to coast at Ponte de Lima, then Spiritual Variante. Lovely walk, wasn’t it?

To OP: It was unseasonably hot and dry. My new Decathlon poncho never left its pouch. The unrelenting sun was our only weather concern. The boardwalks of the coast are full sun but with a lovely ocean breeze and very flat. The central was very hot and some stages offered very little shade PLUS hills but very lovely. It started raining Oct 13, the day we left SdC and, judging by reports on this forum, did not let up for weeks with torrential rain, flooding and high winds. So, prepare for everything then fine tune based on weather reports right before you leave. No point in getting weather advice now.

We left Porto the same day! We cut over to the central at Vila da Condo and cut back to coast at Ponte de Lima, then Spiritual Variante. Lovely walk, wasn’t it?

To OP: It was unseasonably hot and dry. My new Decathlon poncho never left its pouch. The unrelenting sun was our only weather concern. The boardwalks of the coast are full sun but with a lovely ocean breeze and very flat. The central was very hot and some stages offered very little shade PLUS hills but very lovely. It started raining Oct 13, the day we left SdC and, judging by reports on this forum, did not let up for weeks with torrential rain, flooding and high winds. So, prepare for everything then fine tune based on weather reports right before you leave. No point in getting weather advice now.
It was such a great experience and I loved the route I picked! But the sun and heat was relentless and I did complain about it. I sent my raincoat and a few other items ahead to SdC since it looked like I wasn’t going to need them. When I read about the rains and flooding just a week later, I was So glad I wasn’t there then. I would have called it quits.

It was such a great experience and I loved the route I picked! But the sun and heat was relentless and I did complain about it. I sent my raincoat and a few other items ahead to SdC since it looked like I wasn’t going to need them. When I read about the rains and flooding just a week later, I was So glad I wasn’t there then. I would have called it quits.
Yes, I was quite prepared for rain but those that came after us and kept walking were very brave! I don’t think I would have made it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the coastal-central route from Sept 8-20 and most days were pleasant and in the mid-70's. We had a few light rain showers but nothing substantial and it usually rained late at night or in the afternoon when we were close to our accommodations. We had one day in the mid 80's. Also, I was caught off guard by the chill in Santiago. I had to buy a long sleeve t shirt to wear under my fleece. The Santiago weather was very changeable. A couple cycles a day of windy/cloudy/rainy/sunny.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walked in 2021 from 17th Sept to 13 Oct most days cool start then 20 to 25 C bit windy a couple of days on the Coastal and only one day of rain.
27C on the 12th October in Santiago

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back