• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

When to make reservations

Cindylouwho

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I are starting our camino next September. Accomodations is what I'm most nervous about so we want to reserve most albergues. How far in advance can or should we start booking?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Don't get too nervous about accommodation, there always seems to be plenty around. But should you wish to make reservations I'd book ahead for the first week or so before you start the camino, see how it goes and then if you still want to book then a few days in advance should be fine.
I hope you have a nervous free journey.

Reactions: ark
To me it seems to be "contraproductive" to try to organise your camino in detail beforehand. By booking ahead you put extra pressure on your trip. You know that you will have a place to stay at night but you lost your freedom to adjust your Camino to circumstances like need to stop earlier, the wish to take an extra restday, changes in the weather, keeping up with other pilgrims and so on. Booking one or two days ahead will always be possible and will give you the freedom to enjoy the Camino as it comes.( In another thread I wrote that too much planning beforehand likely will be more like planning problems in stead of planning solutions. )

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Agree with the others. Book your first 3 or 4 days, with conservative distances in between. Then once you are walking you can start booking for the next day if you still feel nervous. As you start to near Santiago, think about your arrival date, and book that too. But in between, the flexibility is too precious to be lost to nervous planning. You'll just create a boot camp for yourselves.

Hi and welcome to the forum @Cindylouwho! To take the stress out I would book the first night and then just go with the flow. September is still busy, but not anymore madly busy ;-) Enjoy the freedom of the walk and the freedom to stay where you want to. Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum