• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reservations CF

CaminoFitz

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug/Sept 2024
How necessary is it to have reservations at Albergues on CF in September. Planning on starting around Sept 4th 2024

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Early September is a very busy period. I would probably make reservations as far as Pamplona. After that numbers tend to be spread more thinly with more possible stopping points. If it is very busy and finding a bed is difficult you can consider booking for the next day or two.

The first two weeks of September are possibly the busiest weeks for those starting from SJPdP. I would reserve up through Pamplona. After that you will have a better idea of how far you like to walk each day, and the pilgrim traffic tends to spread out after Pamplona.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first two weeks of September are possibly the busiest weeks for those starting from SJPdP. I would reserve up through Pamplona. After that you will have a better idea of how far you like to walk each day, and the pilgrim traffic tends to spread out after Pamplona
Hello! Can you recommend Albergue's to reserve through to Pamplona please? Female walking solo intending to walk no more than 20km per day if possible.

Hello! Can you recommend Albergue's to reserve through to Pamplona please? Female walking solo intending to walk no more than 20km per day if possible.
You can find all the albergues on the Gronze website. The site is only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English.

If you want to split the first long day over the Pyrenees you will have to book at Orisson or Borda as soon as your dates are certain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Here is my accommodation list. We started last September and booked the first week and. After that we usually booked 2-3 days in advance, except Sarria to SdP which we booked about 1 week in advance.

Attachments

• CaminoFrancesFreeGuidePrint.pdf
    563.4 KB · Views: 86
Hello, I write with the experience of a hospitalero, and there are a few more of us who think in a very similar way.

As they say Bradypus and Ian &Linda you can book perfectly two days in advance.

But (big BUT)...
If you book through Booking, ATTENTION!!, the albergues that use it have a number of beds for Booking, but not all of the albergues. And it turns out that when those beds are already occupied, Booking says that everything is already full. Then the pilgrims believe that there are no more free beds in that albergue or even in the town!!, this happens very frequently. Apart from that Booking.com receives 25 or 30% of the hostel price too much, but this is something that hostels accept voluntarily and I can't comment.

It is also easy to have beds without having reserved.

I never reserve more than 50% of the albergue, better just 30%. I want to have the greatest number of free beds each day. Mainly because I want to collaborate with maintaining the spirit of the Camino, the beautiful possibility of answering "YES" when at the door someone very tired, sweating asks me if I have a free bed... There are few things as gratifying for me as giving beds in those circumstances!!! Nor are there few of us, hospitaleros, who think like this.

If you want to reserve a bed in a single room it is different, it is logical to book weeks in advance of course.

My advice is, then, that if you want to reserve a bed, do it two days in advance, even three or four if you want to be very relaxed, so you can also have the wonderful feeling of freedom that is necessary to do the Camino and stop where you want. or go to the accommodation you want, perhaps with friends from the Camino.

But all this is just my opinion and that of some other hospitaleros, mainly those of us who have a albergue for having done the Camino. The idea of having the albergue full from the day before makes me deeply sad, and I love filling it little by little throughout the day. Almost every day I have one, two or more empty beds at the end of the afternoon, it doesn't matter. Anything rather than reserving everything days in advance and having the feeling of having a business on the beach.

The Camino provides...

ADDENDUM
At the La Finca albergue, three kilometers from me, in Población de Campos, Maria Jose, the hospitalera owner, thought the same as me.
I want to take the opportunity here to remember that fantastic albergue and that fantastic person and wonderful cook. A great shame for the Camino that they have closed.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At the La Finca albergue, three kilometers from me, in Población de Campos, Maria Jose, the hospitalera owner, thought the same as me.
I want to take the opportunity here to remember that fantastic albergue and that fantastic person and wonderful cook. A great shame for the Camino that they have closed.

La Finca was one of my favorite albergues on the Camino Francés, and I'm sad that they had to close. He really put so much thought into designing an albergue with the things that pilgrims need with the luxury of bunks that were like tiny private rooms. My first time staying there I was invited to eat comida with the family and staff and felt so welcomed.

La Finca was one of my favorite albergues on the Camino Francés, and I'm sad that they had to close. He really put so much thought into designing an albergue with the things that pilgrims need with the luxury of bunks that were like tiny private rooms. My first time staying there I was invited to eat comida with the family and staff and felt so welcomed.

Excellent brief description of what that hostel was, well designed, very pleasant, bright, luxurious, the staff was charming, the bar was small and atmospheric, the garden large and with horizons, everything was extremely welcoming.
When I see Maria Jose, I see her sometimes, I will tell her what you have written about her hostel and that day when you ate there and that you still remember. Thanks for sharing it.

Hello, I write with the experience of a hospitalero, and there are a few more of us who think in a very similar way.

As they say Bradypus and Ian &Linda you can book perfectly two days in advance.

But (big BUT)...
If you book through Booking, ATTENTION!!, the albergues that use it have a number of beds for Booking, but not all of the albergues. And it turns out that when those beds are already occupied, Booking says that everything is already full. Then the pilgrims believe that there are no more free beds in that albergue or even in the town!!, this happens very frequently. Apart from that Booking.com receives 25 or 30% of the hostel price too much, but this is something that hostels accept voluntarily and I can't comment.

It is also easy to have beds without having reserved.

I never reserve more than 50% of the albergue, better just 30%. I want to have the greatest number of free beds each day. Mainly because I want to collaborate with maintaining the spirit of the Camino, the beautiful possibility of answering "YES" when at the door someone very tired, sweating asks me if I have a free bed... There are few things as gratifying for me as giving beds in those circumstances!!! Nor are there few of us, hospitaleros, who think like this.

If you want to reserve a bed in a single room it is different, it is logical to book weeks in advance of course.

My advice is, then, that if you want to reserve a bed, do it two days in advance, even three or four if you want to be very relaxed, so you can also have the wonderful feeling of freedom that is necessary to do the Camino and stop where you want. or go to the accommodation you want, perhaps with friends from the Camino.

But all this is just my opinion and that of some other hospitaleros, mainly those of us who have a albergue for having done the Camino. The idea of having the albergue full from the day before makes me deeply sad, and I love filling it little by little throughout the day. Almost every day I have one, two or more empty beds at the end of the afternoon, it doesn't matter. Anything rather than reserving everything days in advance and having the feeling of having a business on the beach.

The Camino provides...

ADDENDUM
I love the message in this posting and I'm very happy to hear you and other hospitaleros are keeping the wonderful spirit of the Camino alive. You didn't say where your albergue is, can you do that on this site? Regards and good luck with you work, Brian Baxter

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I love the message in this posting and I'm very happy to hear you and other hospitaleros are keeping the wonderful spirit of the Camino alive. You didn't say where your albergue is, can you do that on this site? Regards and good luck with you work, Brian Baxter
Hi Brian, I apologize for not responding sooner. The albergue absorbs me all day and I barely get into anything that is not something directly related to the albergue.
I'm in Frómista, it's the Albergue Luz. My wife and I have been in love with the Camino since 1998, and in 2000 we decided to live one day on the Camino, among and for the pilgrims. We did it in 2018.
Thank you very much, Brian!.
Kind regards,
Gabriel

How necessary is it to have reservations at Albergues on CF in September. Planning on starting around Sept 4th 2024
If you are alone, no. This is part of a the "let go" (not sure of the translation) behaviour on the Camino.
If you are 2, perhaps.
More than 2, probably.
If you plan to arrive in Galicia by October, do not forget your rain poncho...

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back