This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Where to get a Shell in Seville?

Daniel Beaumont

Walked the VDLP, Frances, Portuguese and Norte.
May 12, 2016
Lake District, England
www.danbeaumont.com
Time of past OR future Camino
Hey fellow pilgrims,

I am in Seville and i managed to pick up my credentials but i cannot find a shell anywhere... There's lots of fans, hats and everything else one would need, but does anyone know where I can find a shell?

I tried Triana Hostel but they don't have them... Does anyone know whether the Friends of the Camino Association has them? I can see its open from 7pm - 9pm tonight!

Thanks in advance!

All the best,

Dan

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Via2010

Jul 5, 2018
Eifel, near Cologne
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Have you tried at the office of the local association? 82 Calle Castilla (on the Triana-side of the river).
They had buttons, shells, guidebooks and other camino Accessoires when I was there in 2008, so they still might sell them. They are open this evening between 19.00 h and 21.00 h.

Pilgrim Office Seville

Otherwise pop in Triana market when leaving the town (the market is just after the Bridge) and try your luck at one of the fish-shops.

BC
Alexandra

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Pilger99

Jan 18, 2019
addicted since 1999 (Aragones, CF), lots of caminos in Spain and Portugal since then
I guess you will find a shell today, though the first pilgrims didn't get them at the start. They could only pick them up close to the galician sea. That's why it became a unique symbol of the Santiago pilgrimage.

D

Deleted member 73526

I guess you will find a shell today, though the first pilgrims didn't get them at the start. They could only pick them up close to the galician sea. That's why it became a unique symbol of the Santiago pilgrimage.
That may be true for the first pilgrims. I'm willing to bet that the second pilgrims got their shells from a fishmonger at home, though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Pilger99

Jan 18, 2019
addicted since 1999 (Aragones, CF), lots of caminos in Spain and Portugal since then
I don't bet, just can't find a fishmonger in my town. Was it easier 500 years ago? During the last 20-30 years at least NO. Restaurants here receive the scallops in plastic buckets without the outer shell, while in Spain they still get the entire animal. From the bar owner of Albergueria I was told it's something you need to have for a wedding reception, so he can get the empty shells for free after it. I'm not sure if he ran out of space, but certainly not of the shells.

Via2010

Jul 5, 2018
Eifel, near Cologne
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
From the bar owner of Albergueria I was told it's something you need to have for a wedding reception, so he can get the empty shells for free after it. I'm not sure if he ran out of space, but certainly not of the shells.

When we were there in 2010 he told me the same. But consider, that he only takes the flat side of the shells whereas restaurants want the moulded side, if they serve the scallops in the shell. Most pilgrims also prefer the moulded side as the flat shells break more easily (which - by the way - explains why you are more likely to find the moulded ones on the beach than the flat ones). When I look at all the shells I collected at Finisterre it is at least 5 times more moulded ones than flat ones.

Daniel Beaumont

Walked the VDLP, Frances, Portuguese and Norte.
May 12, 2016
Lake District, England
www.danbeaumont.com
Hey guys,

I picked up a shell from the "friends of the camino association". Really awesome place - they have everything you will need for your camino. Credential, waterproof cover, maps, badges, etc etc. Very friendly people too!

All the best,

Dan

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum