• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting VDLP in Seville - better to stay in Triana?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I booked a bed in an albergue in the old part of Seville, without giving it much thought, because I always tend to stay in the old part of a city. However I'm wondering if I maybe should have booked a place in Triana? I know nothing about Seville, so this might be a dumb question.

I'll be in Seville for two nights before walking. I need to pick up a credential, get a SIM card, and stock up on some food, but that's about all. Any remaining time will be spent wandering around the city.

So better to stay in the historic center of Seville, or in Triana?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So better to stay in the historic center of Seville, or in Triana?

If you’re going to spend a day there to be out and about, it seems to make sense to stay in the historic center. But lots of Vdlp pilgrims stay in Triana Backpackers Hostel. It’s about 1.5 km from the Cathedral, Giralda, Alcázar, etc. and very close to the camino, which goes through Triana. I don’t think it makes much difference, except I suppose you are more likely to meet others starting out if you stay in Triana, if that’s of interest. There’s lots to see in Sevilla, and it’s a very walkable city.

Not a lot of difference really. I stayed in the old part last year so as to be close to things, and as @peregrina2000 says, you are soon out of the centre, across the bridge and onto the path by the river.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you’re going to spend a day there to be out and about, it seems to make sense to stay in the historic center. But lots of Vdlp pilgrims stay in Triana Backpackers Hostel. It’s about 1.5 km from the Cathedral, Giralda, Alcázar, etc. and very close to the camino, which goes through Triana. I don’t think it makes much difference, except I suppose you are more likely to meet others starting out if you stay in Triana, if that’s of interest. There’s lots to see in Sevilla, and it’s a very walkable city.
Many thanks, and yeah I think it makes sense to keep my booking in the center. Meeting other pilgrims would be a bonus, but not worth changing my reservation for.

And on a related note, I wasn't aware of the festival in Seville the week following Easter. Triana Backpackers hostel is 46 euros per night for a dorm bed. Yikes...

Many thanks, and yeah I think it makes sense to keep my booking in the center. Meeting other pilgrims would be a bonus, but not worth changing my reservation for.

And on a related note, I wasn't aware of the festival in Seville the week following Easter. Triana Backpackers hostel is 46 euros per night for a dorm bed. Yikes...

Don't expect to meet many other Pilgrims.
Whereas you might have 300 / day leaving St Jean in peak season on the Frances.
Leaving Seviila on the VdlP? maybe 10? 15 Max?
You might see 1 or 2 on the trail.
The most I ever met in one day on the trail, was 7 I think.
Wow that felt crazy busy!
Like "what are all these people doing here"?

The most ever in one place, like a bar/cafe was 10 I think.
Felt like a Pilgrim 'rush hour'.
That was in Villanueva de Campeán, which was one of those small places that was an obvious end point for the day (to avoid a long day) and with only one place to stay.

Maybe others came across more?

Don't expect to meet many other Pilgrims.
Whereas you might have 300 / day leaving St Jean in peak season on the Frances.
Leaving Seviila on the VdlP? maybe 10? 15 Max?
You might see 1 or 2 on the trail.
The most I ever met in one day on the trail, was 7 I think.
Wow that felt crazy busy!
Like "what are all these people doing here"?

The most ever in one place, like a bar/cafe was 10 I think.
Felt like a Pilgrim 'rush hour'.
That was in Villanueva de Campeán, which was one of those small places that was an obvious end point for the day (to avoid a long day) and with only one place to stay.

Maybe others came across more?
Yep, I chose this camino specifically because it has fewer pilgrims. I planned it just a couple months after walking the CF where it was difficult to avoid the large number of pilgrims. Although that said, I'm now beginning to wonder if I'm going to find the VDLP toooo quiet and lonely. Be careful what you wish for! Oh well, I'm certain it's going to be fantastic even if it does turn out to be lonely. Besides, I have the option of continuing on and joining the CF instead of taking the Sanabres if I'm really missing being around lots of people. I doubt that will be the case though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi 👋 there Jack.
Buen camino .. where did you book in the historic section of Sevilla? Wondering what the rate was there .. it could help others looking for accommodation.

Re company - I found there was usually someone around to talk to if I was in the mood for company. I found some finished in Mérida., whereas others started etc. People start and stop in quite a few stages… Cáceres …. Salamanca, Zamora, and of course the 100k starters from Ourense.
I loved the Vdlp.
You’ll enjoy it I’m sure.

Last edited:
From what I understand, Triana is a bit of a party place so keep that in mind. Do you want a quiet night or a social night before setting out?
From your personal experience? Not mine, at least during the 2 or 3 times I've stayed there but it doesn't matter since the OP has posted that he is keeping his original reservation.

The Plata is a great Camino for solitude, I never saw more than a handful of pilgrims but then again I walked it in the summer and winter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Im personally pushing for Santiponce (9km from Cathedral) the same day as my plane lands. Got the idea from Robos videos :)

From Google Maps I have seen a Carrefour Express right on the route before it splits:
Calle, Rda. de Triana, 2, 41010 Sevilla, Spain

If you go through Camas then also a Mercadona will be on the route:
Av. Alcalde Manuel Cabello, S/N, 41900 Camas, Sevilla, Spain

Although that said, I'm now beginning to wonder if I'm going to find the VDLP toooo quiet and lonely.
I doubt that. There were always people around when we walked it in 2012 so it is unlikely to have got quieter since then. The numbers grow as you head north and after every big city but there was never a bed race. It´s a great camino, and one of the joys was seeing the landscape and the weather and the way of life and culture change as you head north across one distinct region after another. You are walking through the heart of Spain all the way.

I wasn't aware of the festival in Seville the week following Easter.
La Féria de Abril starts on the 14th. Sevilla will be 100%, 24 hour party zone and Triana edges the festival grounds. Féria can be pretty bewildering to anyone who has not encountered it before. That said once clear of the city the tranquility will be even more striking ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I doubt that. There were always people around when we walked it in 2012 so it is unlikely to have got quieter since then.
Numbers walking the VdlP have dropped slightly since 2012. The VdlP has not shared in the growth that many other routes have seen in recent years. Still too big a physical challenge to be easily packaged and sold as an easy walking holiday. Depending on the time of year it can be a very quiet route. I walked it from Sevilla in January and February in 2022 and I doubt if I saw more than 20 other pilgrims over the entire 1000km. At several points I walked for multiple days without seeing one other pilgrim.

Im personally pushing for Santiponce (9km from Cathedral) the same day as my plane lands. Got the idea from Robos videos :)

From Google Maps I have seen a Carrefour Express right on the route before it splits:
Calle, Rda. de Triana, 2, 41010 Sevilla, Spain

If you go through Camas then also a Mercadona will be on the route:
Av. Alcalde Manuel Cabello, S/N, 41900 Camas, Sevilla, Spain
What! Don't blame me.
I had a day off in Sevilla before I even started! :rolleyes:

But a slow start, just walking to Santiponce. with a look around the Roman Ruins was a nice was to ease into it.

What! Don't blame me.
I had a day off in Sevilla before I even started! :rolleyes:

But a slow start, just walking to Santiponce. with a look around the Roman Ruins was a nice was to ease into it.
A look around the Roman ruins was nice, but not exactly the equal of a look around the Alcázar. Spend a day in Seville. I didn´t when we walked the VdlP. Ten years later I was back in Seville and realised what I´d missed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Everywhere is much more expensive during Semana Santa. You won’t get much sleep in Triana. I stayed there at the end of my Camino so it didn’t matter so much. Staying in your own room might be a better idea before you start.

There were always people around when we walked it in 2012
I'm now beginning to wonder if I'm going to find the VDLP toooo quiet and lonely.
Numbers walking the VdlP have dropped slightly since 2012.
I walked Seville-Astorga in 2017, and have done some pieces other years. I was never in an albergue alone until after Granja de Moreruela, when most people turn west. I was always aware of about 10-15 people within a stage, although I didn't see all of them every day. There was almost always a small group to have dinner with, but no expectations of "walking together."

It was the perfect number for me.

Hi 👋 there Jack.
Buen camino .. where did you book in the historic section of Sevilla? Wondering what the rate was there .. it could help others looking for accommodation.

Re company - I found there was usually someone around to talk to if I was in the mood for company. I found some finished in Mérida., whereas others started etc. People start and stop in quite a few stages… Cáceres …. Salamanca, Zamora, and of course the 100k starters from Ourense.
I loved the Vdlp.
You’ll enjoy it I’m sure.
I booked at a place called room007 Salvador Hostal. I booked it a few months ago when I heard there was a festival in town. I paid 74 euros for two nights, for a bunk bed in a dorm room. It's sold out now, and I suspect they charged even more for later bookings. 50 euros per night for a bunk bed, if you can find it today...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I booked at a place called room007 Salvador Hostal. I booked it a few months ago when I heard there was a festival in town. I paid 74 euros for two nights, for a bunk bed in a dorm room. It's sold out now, and I suspect they charged even more for later bookings. 50 euros per night for a bunk bed, if you can find it today...
Great spot. Easy walk to Patio San Eloy and several other excellent bars and a little away from the Féria frenzy. Sadly most of the best bars and restaurants close for Féria. On the other hand this place https://www.facebook.com/people/Las-Columnas-Sevilla/100071746060761/ wouldn't close for the end-of-the-world.

Oh, and an easy walk to Triana and the Camino

Enjoy!!

Yep, I chose this camino specifically because it has fewer pilgrims. I planned it just a couple months after walking the CF where it was difficult to avoid the large number of pilgrims. Although that said, I'm now beginning to wonder if I'm going to find the VDLP toooo quiet and lonely. Be careful what you wish for! Oh well, I'm certain it's going to be fantastic even if it does turn out to be lonely. Besides, I have the option of continuing on and joining the CF instead of taking the Sanabres if I'm really missing being around lots of people. I doubt that will be the case though.
Don't forget that there's no breakfast and lunch options in a lot of the small towns. I bought food the night before for breakfast and lunch the next day. A microwavable cup and instant coffee bags is handy too.

La Féria de Abril starts on the 14th. Sevilla will be 100%, 24 hour party zone and Triana edges the festival grounds. Féria can be pretty bewildering to anyone who has not encountered it before. That said once clear of the city the tranquility will be even more striking ;)
Indeed and the previous week, 6th April, is the Copa Del Ray final, Spain’s premier football cup final, which ads about 80k worth of people in the city and affects ‘busyness’ of trains and buses in and out of Seville. The finalists aren’t know yet, but for example last year (also in Seville), Osasuna (Pamplona) were in the final so about 40k folks travelled to Seville from Pamplona before the game and back afterwards. The other finalists were Real Madrid whose fans tend to come from everywhere, as do Barcelona.

€149,-
From your personal experience? Not mine, at least during the 2 or 3 times I've stayed there but it doesn't matter since the OP has posted that he is keeping his original reservation.
I agree, I have heard people saying it is a party place and very noisy but not in my experience. It was full of young people , yes but very quiet and peaceful. I would stay there again.

I agree, I have heard people saying it is a party place and very noisy but not in my experience. It was full of young people , yes but very quiet and peaceful. I would stay there again.
The hostel in Triana has a dedicated dorm for pilgrims and will stamp your credential..

I was never in an albergue alone until after Granja de Moreruela, when most people turn west.
I anticipate there being at least a handful of pilgrims everywhere I stop, as I'm walking at a popular time. But I've heard various reports of pilgrims finding themselves all alone in an albergue on the VDLP, and to be honest I hope I get to experience that once. Not sure why, but the idea seems really interesting, having the whole place to yourself. :) I'll be staying mostly at municipal albergues so who knows, it just might happen.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Jack I think you are going to love VDLP.
The Trianna Hostel was a bit too young and noisy for my taste but I still had a good enough time. I’m sure it’s different at other times. Historic centre is a good choice.
I walked in autumn and in the early weeks walked with two different groups of Spaniards - great fun.
After that I walked alone but usually met people on the road or in an albergue. I did have a week or so of being the solo albergue resident. I loved it.
I would still opt for Sanabres. There were more people than earlier on the Via but always plenty of beds.
Buen Camino

A look around the Roman ruins was nice, but not exactly the equal of a look around the Alcázar. Spend a day in Seville. I didn´t when we walked the VdlP. Ten years later I was back in Seville and realised what I´d missed.
Very true, I did that on my day off beforer strating, and the Cathedral of course.

Seville is amazing city lovely to walk around in, I think you’ve made a good plan. I love having rest days in large cities along caminos soaking up the culture and sights like Burgos, Leon.Oviedo Lisboa Porto I plan to do Vdlp this year and looking forward to soaking up the culture in cities like Caceres Merida Salamanca etc. check out Robs Camino Vdlp on YouTube or Nadine Walks Truely inspirational and btw Buen Camino 🦶

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jack we will be in Seville from the 2nd of April heading out on the 5th may see you on the trail?
All the best Bill & Sandra

As other people have pointed out, Triana isn't far from the city centre, do it doesn't make an awful lot of difference. It's also handier for the Camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back