• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

where to start?

ann kirkwood

We are first timers planning to walk the path in mid September. We have a month to devote to walking and I am in the very beginning stages of planning. I have heard the section from Roncevalles is beautiful so we would like to start there. How far will we get in 4 weeks? We of course want to finish is Santiago so is it cheating to catch a bus for a section to make it in the 4 weeks. I don't want to rush the experience.

Help. This is the first decision. The rest will flow after this.

Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I guess you could take a bus or a train across the Meseta, between Burgos and Leon... Then walk the bits either side.

Hi ann,

How far will we get in 4 weeks?

Depends on ur walking rhythm, planning, where/for how long u may want to stay at a town/city, etc...

..cheating to catch a bus for a section to make it in the 4 weeks.

The Camino Secret Police will be off during the time u'll be walking. U'll be able to cheat all u want :lol: In all seriousness, u set the standards, ann, it is ur pilgrimage. If I were in ur same situation, I'd agree as suggested to take a bus Burgos-Leon.

I don't want to rush the experience.

Am with u there.

...decision. The rest will flow after this...

:D

Best, xm 8)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you've not got time, the best part to miss in my opinion is the Meseta... Ok, so you miss out on Castrojeriz which I thought was cool, but there's more to see either side of it!

Besides, there will always be a next time, there's so much u can walk, experience, and see, on one Camino. You'll be back, you will be back ... :lol: Best, xm 8)

4 weeks to walk the camino

Hello Ann,
In 2002 I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago following the Lonely Planet daily schedules. They suggested a 28 day camino (I think it is now 30 in the revised book) but we ended up doing it in 27 days. My walking buddy was 74 years old.
The Milano Bravo Lozana guide book suggests 31 days and John Breirley 32 (from Roncesvalles). If you are a good, experienced walker and you have the endurance to walk 27kms per day for 28 days I'd say go for it.
If you feel that you are rushing, get the odd bus but I wouldn't like to decide beforehand to miss out on the 200kms 'on top of the world' as it is a very beautiful, wide open place type section.
Blessings,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Everyone suggests that the stretch between Burgos and Leon is to be missed. I would suggest rather that it is better to be more precise in the bit that you clip out, and to skip Sahagun to Leon-- this is the flattest bit, and Mansilla de las Mulas to Leon is just a walk alongside a major traffic artery. This way you do not miss jewels like Castrojeriz and Fromista, and the fine rolling landscape of the first 3 days of the Meseta.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back