• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Which camino in Sept for 8-12 days?

Clare Eby

My sister and I intend to do part of the Camino in Sept. (somewhere between 8 to 12 days, walking 10 to 15 miles per day) but are getting a bit overwhelmed as to which part of which route. We are especially interested in "Invierno" but are wondering just how strenuous that would be. Also possibly the Northern route. We are afraid the French way may be too busy and noisy for us.

We are in our 50s and in good shape, but we are Americans so what we consider "good shape" may not be up to a European definition. We will definitely hire a company to transport our luggage and set up hotels or B and Bs. I realize that will annoy those of you who are purists but that's the way we want to do it. We definitely are doing SELF guided, though. We have found companies that look perfectly promising but are getting confused as to which route.

Anyway here's what we want:

--not walking on much pavement and not commercial! (We are afraid the French way may be too much of both, though have gotten mixed reports)
--beautiful and varied landscapes. Would prefer also to have some lovely architecture (the older, the better)
--moderately challenging. Not too much hills or mountains.
--we don't care whether or not we get to Santiago and also if we hit any of the major religious sites.
--would strongly prefer a less-traveled route (unless if that becomes a moot point in Sept, though I doubt it ...). We'll be happy to interact with other pilgrims but are doing this mostly to be together and rejuvenate our spirits. (And because we lived in Spain as children, though unfortunately we have lost the language.)

I'd be really grateful for your suggestions as to what route to take or avoid. I am less concerned about finding a good company for the luggage and hotel-booking, although would certainly welcome reports on that front, too.

Gracias!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You might like to consider part of the Camino Primitivo, from Fonsagrada to Santiago. There are some lovely places including Lugo, casas rurales and hotels as well as traditional albergues and private albergues and ther is the possibility of baggage transport. Some 'stages' in the online guides are long , but with thought it is possible to keep stages manageable. Check out the Primitivo blog below if you think it will help you. We simply phoned ahead daily, or occasionally use booking.com, and carried our packs but there will be others who know more about making bookings and the carriers too.

Another alternative would be Asturias airport and then the Norte, or go to Oviedo and walk part of the Primitivo, getting the bus back to Oviedo by the time you reach Grandas de Salime. Much more strenuous in places, and note that there is no public transport at all between Grandas and Fonsagrada, so to return to Asturias airport Grandas would have to be the furthest walking point.
Buen Camino

PS:- You can reach Fonsagrada from the Santiago airports by going on the bus to Lugo and then on to Fonsagrada.

It is hard to beat the Camino Frances, crowds notwithstanding. It takes two weeks from Leon, and nine days from Ponferrada to get to Santiago, a city that also is heard to beat. You will get varied terrain from Ponferrada, starting with two fairly gentle days, then some good climbs. There are plenty of private accommodations, so you will not be bothered by the pilgrims using albergues. In September there will still be a lot of pilgrims, but not enough to fill the available albergue beds.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.