• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

winter pilgram

ribzi

Hi I'm Ribz I am planning to do my first pilgramage from Leon to Santiago in December. So if any of you have some good tips I would apreciate any info I can get. Thanx

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Ribzi,
Welcome to the forum. I think that you will appreciate that starting from Leon in December you will be walking into winter. You will already be at a good height above sea level as you start and then beyond Astorga you will be rising to approx. 1500 metres. Galicia, which is where you are heading, is beautiful but the weather is not kind to pilgrims; it is also known as 'Green Spain', i.e. its wet, and in the mountains you can also expect snow - I haven't been there in the winter but I'm sure that if you check out the weather reports you will find snow; they even get it in Spring and Summer. So weatherwise I would say prepare for the worst.
Also, while there is plenty of accomodation on the route, make a thorough check of which refugios, hotels, etc are open in the winter, even to the point of checking those places/villages where, initially, you don't intend to stay - 'the best laid plans ......'.
That's all for the moment, hope you have a great trip.

Buen Camino,
Brendan

thank you for the information, does anyone know where i can get info on how many hours of sunlight etc a day in winter?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Ribzi,
To work out your daylight hours I looked at first to Camino Latitude to compare with J'burg but decided that comparisons got too complicated. So, I think when you are walking in December there is little pressure on refugios,hotels, etc so you can take your own pace; there should not be the need to worry about accomodation as in July/August. Up here in the north east of England in December sunrise is about 0800/0830 and sunset is about 1530/1630. So Ithink Spain will be an hour or so better off. But since you have Internet access you could enter some words that will give you what you want. I would think in general terms you have light from 08.00 to 1530/1600 hrs.

Buen Camino,
Brendan

ribzi said:
thank you for the information, does anyone know where i can get info on how many hours of sunlight etc a day in winter?

ribzi, If you go to this planner site http://www.godesalco.com./plan/frances and personalise it with appropriate dates, you are able to get sunlight times and percentage of lunar illumination.

First you put in start and finish places, and you need to add a name at the bottom to 'customise' it. This takes you to a second page. If you tick to enter some "stages" on this form, the bottom of the form changes to enable you to enter a date for starting the Camino. You can then go to the 'results' page. If you choose the 'spreadsheet with your stages plan and data" you then get a spreadsheet that includes the times of sunrise and sunset, plus the 'percentage of lunar illumination'.
Margaret

I can talk you about my two winter caminos, the portuguese (feb/2004) and the sanabres (feb/2006). Then, sunlight finished at about 18:30, but on december possibly it finishes at 17:45.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back