• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hola. asking for advice for first night in Irun

oakofoaks

Time of past OR future Camino
camino de norte
Hi!
i will be traveling to Madrid Airport at 10 of june. arriving on saturday at 10AM.
I would like to avoid staying in the big city, problem is the train leaving to Irun arrives there only at 11pm, which will be too late for Jakobi Albergue.
I am thinking of either putting out a sleeping bag in a park in Irun OR taking a train to Pamplona, there stay a night and on the 11 of June catch a bus to Irun (that i could not understand if exists).
Would love to hear your thoughts about my plans, is there maybe a better way?
is there a bus from Pamplona to Irun?any lead for a cheap stay in Irun while arriving late night?

THANKS!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are two pensions close to the railway station, Gema at Estacion Kalea 5, Bidasoa on Estacion Kalea 14, both in the mid 30€ range; and Hotel Lizaso on Kalea Aduna 5, a 2-star hotel over the railway bridge on Colon Ibaldibea at double the price. From their profiles, the pensions look fairly basic, but they will be open provided you give them notice of your arrival time.

Another option, which friends of mine have done, was to break the railway journey at Tudela, where they found a hotel room, and had dinner to recuperate, and continued the journey the next day. I have arrived in Irun at 11pm in past years, and think I would have had more fun by breaking the journey, but this depends on your budget and your overall timetable.

i will be traveling to Madrid Airport at 10 of june. arriving on saturday at 10AM.
I would like to avoid staying in the big city, problem is the train leaving to Irun arrives there only at 11pm, which will be too late for Jakobi Albergue.
Hmm, your weekend travelling makes it a little bit harder!
I think I would... first see if I could book a cheap hostel bed in San Sebastian/Donostia (see Gronze here). If yes, then I'd book the 12.26 train from Madrid (which I think finishes in San Seb on Jun 10 because of engineering works). That should get in about 8.30pm. Then on Sunday morning take an early E2 metro to Irun to start your camino... service is reduced on a Sunday, but it looks like there will still be plenty of trains see here - starting at 7.15am and taking 38 minutes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Several years ago I stayed at Bar Pension Restaurant Bidasoa. 45 euros. Just across the railroad bridge. It was just fine and several other pilgrims were there also. On Booking.com just now I see one room is available June 10 for $77. Sounds reasonable to me. Sleeping on a park bench (there is one) does not seem like a good option or a good start to a great Camino. Get food and water before you leave town in the morning. Have some euro coins for the drink vending machine at the top of your first hill. Buen Camino

Several years ago I stayed at Bar Pension Restaurant Bidasoa. 45 euros. Just across the railroad bridge. It was just fine and several other pilgrims were there also. On Booking.com just now I see one room is available June 10 for $77. Sounds reasonable to me. Sleeping on a park bench (there is one) does not seem like a good option or a good start to a great Camino. Get food and water before you leave town in the morning. Have some euro coins for the drink vending machine at the top of your first hill. Buen Camino
On a first day, that hill is remarkable. Drop into a tienda the day before and pick up an orange or two, and perhaps a sports drink. The walk to San Juan de Pasaia is great, and arriving there is even better. It is a lovely stop to end a first day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you can fly from Madrid to the San Sebastián airport, Irún is a 10-20 minute walk from the airport.

If you can fly from Madrid to the San Sebastián airport, Irún is a 10-20 minute walk from the airport.
I'm landing in the Dan Sebastian airport. It looks like the walk to Irún is along a fairly major road. Is there a sidewalk? Thanks!

I'm landing in the Dan Sebastian airport. It looks like the walk to Irún is along a fairly major road. Is there a sidewalk? Thanks!
There is one small section with no sidewalk but there is a shoulder. No different to some of the scenarios you’ll find yourself in all along a camino. That said, you’ll be exhausted so if you don’t want to walk, it would be a very, very short taxi ride! I might end up doing the same!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is one small section with no sidewalk but there is a shoulder. No different to some of the scenarios you’ll find yourself in all along a camino. That said, you’ll be exhausted so if you don’t want to walk, it would be a very, very short taxi ride! I might end up doing the same!
I walked it today and found that by crossing over just after leaving the airport, I was on a shoulder with a barrier. It felt good to walk in the fresh air after so many hours on planes and in airports!

Have a look at the buses. There is an ALSA bus leaving the airport T4 at 13:15 h, which arrives to Donostia around 19:45 h. You can catch a bus or the train to Irun from there.

I walked it today and found that by crossing over just after leaving the airport, I was on a shoulder with a barrier. It felt good to walk in the fresh air after so many hours on planes and in airports!
That’s great to know! I Google street view’ed the route and saw the barrier on the one side.
It seems a lot easier to just walk the 20 minutes that figure out transport. Glad to know it worked out!
Buen Camino! Did you book your first night or wander into the albergue and get a spot?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
That’s really good to know because I was just trying to figure out how to get from San Sebastián to Irun. Thanks for sharing!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I booked my first night so I can have privacy to sleep well after a long trip getting here!
Can I ask where you booked your first night? Thanks 😊
That’s great to know! I Google street view’ed the route and saw the barrier on the one side.
It seems a lot easier to just walk the 20 minutes that figure out transport. Glad to know it worked out!
Buen Camino! Did you book your first night or wander into the albergue and get a spot?
Can I also ask you where you booked your first night in Irun? Thanks 🙏

Can I ask where you booked your first night? Thanks 😊

Can I also ask you where you booked your first night in Irun? Thanks 🙏
I didn’t book ahead for Irun. The plan was to stay at the municipal. It was moot though because my flights were delayed by an entire day so I started from San Sebastián instead. 😅

In September 2017 I stayed in Bar Pension Restaurant Bidasoa, right downtown. Other pilgrims were staying there also. I think I paid euro 45 then for a private room. I see it is now on Booking.com for euro 64. I consider both rates good value for the money. I booked instead of staying at the muni because I wanted to get a very early start on the mountain without disturbing my fellow pilgrims. But I also wanted to get my credencial stamped at the Catedral. I got there about 3 pm but the office closed at about 230 pm. The sign said it would open at 9 the next morning. I was waiting outside at 8 am and at 830 a kind lady ushered me in for my sello. It was worth the wait. ps. A kind local man led me from the train station to the pension front door. Eskerik asko to both. Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back