Shortly after Castrojeriz | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
  1. Photos uploaded to the forum is the property of the person who took the photo. Please only upload photos that you own. To use these photos in any other way, please contact the person who took the photo for permission.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!
DowtyCamino

Shortly after Castrojeriz

My favorite Pic of the CF

Tags:
Shortly after Castrojeriz
DowtyCamino, Sep 14, 2016
    • Rick of Rick and Peg

Lovely picture. I see why it is a favorite.

I think this is noted as an 18% slope; very steep. While there in 2015 a peregrina joked that she would like to come back and open a zip-line business there. The conversation drifted to whether that would be keeping to the camino spirit. I thought that it would because anyone using the zip-line would see God.
    • DanielH
      that is a beautiful and stunning site. Can't wait to see it. I fly out from Dallas, TX USA tomorrow to start the Camino again in Burgos where I finished last year.
    • abzambroza
      Oh I remember well zigzagging down that hill.
      Loved, loved, loved that part of the Camino, including the preceding 12% climb. One of my favourite days (of the admittedly not all encompassing section of the camino I've covered so far from Logrono to Leon).
    • DowtyCamino
      Thank you. We'd gotten up early (Thank God because it was a hot day) and climbed the hill up from Castrojeriz just as the Sun was hitting the peak. The sight of the Camino winding on into the horizon was amazing. I'll post a picture from the same spot looking back to Castrojeriz later today. There is a little glare, but it was intentionally shot that way to backlight the villiage.
      Castrojeriz was one of my favorite Camino spots.
    • Kiwi-d
      Oh I remember that hill! I never bothered much reading the guidebook, so didn't realise that hill was ahead when I had already walked 21km. It was only 11am, and I wasn't tired, so I decided to walk a bit further. Big mistake. In my next email home I commented "At this point, some unprintable swine inserted the hill from hell. It's the only one on the planet. They send mules here to end their days. I nearly ended mine. God it was hard, it went on and on, and on. And then, oh joy, there was the descent. Here the rest of the mules suicide for pleasure.

And that, my dears, is how one walks 32km for fun. Or something. Tomorrow I shall hit myself with large bricks for a change of pace."

That's a beautiful picture though. ;)
    • DowtyCamino
      @Kiwi-d ....now THAT was funny. Not then I'm sure but I love your description.
      Kiwi-d likes this.
    • alexwalker
      @Kiwi-d The Mule Killer hill, or Mata Burros as the Spanish call it.
    • alexwalker
      We are still debating this...;):)
    • Rick of Rick and Peg
    • alexwalker
      Yes, I know. That downhill is nothing compared to the climb just after Castrojeriz. A real killer, especially for those who walk onto it at noon...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Camino Frances
    Uploaded By:
    DowtyCamino
    Date:
    Sep 14, 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    735.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2736px
    Height:
    1824px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).

This site is run by Ivar at
Casa Ivar
in Santiago de Compostela