• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Staying in Padron

DPetronio

Time of past OR future Camino
5/23
I had our accommodations all booked for shorter stages and I think I made a mistake. We are taking the boat from Villanueva de Arosa then staying in Padron. Now I see that the boat for our date leaves at 8 am. Is there enough to do in Padron to justify a rest day? Otherwise I could try to change things up because we could just walk to our next destination which is only 11 km further.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had our accommodations all booked for shorter stages and I think I made a mistake. We are taking the boat from Villanueva de Arosa then staying in Padron. Now I see that the boat for our date leaves at 8 am. Is there enough to do in Padron to justify a rest day? Otherwise I could try to change things up because we could just walk to our next destination which is only 11 km further.
Padron is very nice. The albergue on the hill will give a “Pedronia” certificate which is quite nice. The climb to the top of the hill is also beautiful and has a great view of the city. Some great restaurants. If you are there on a Saturday, there might be a huge market - fun to walk through and the food is great. Not sure if it’s every week or once a month.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The pedronia is given at the library, which is also the tourism office, after you get a stamp at the church.

I liked Padron, and while it wouldn’t be my first choice for a rest day, it wouldn’t be a bad place to spend a day.

While Padrón is nice, it won’t fill up a whole day like bigger cities would do. We were done within one hour of sightseeing and moved on without regret. After that it would be walking around, relaxing in a bar, things like that. It certainly supports a rest day.

But who doesn’t like the origin of Pimientos de Padrón 😉

Now I see that the boat for our date leaves at 8 am.
You need to be flexible with that boat. I got a phone call from them the day before to say that, due to the increase in passengers, they now had to put the BIG boat on, which changed the departure time, as the BIG boat could only access the harbour at HIGH tide . . .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One great thing to do in Padron is to go to Cafe Don Pepe in the morning. It is by the church. The owner is a lively and lovable guy who sends people off for the day with enthusiasm. It’s a great way to start your last day on the Camino Portuguese. He put his hands on my shoulders, looked at me in the eyes and told me how proud of me. I needed to hear that more than that man could ever know. I nearly burst into tears.

I can’t say much else about Padron because it was heavy rain the evening I was there.

Last edited:
Padrón does have some associations with the St. James story that are worth a look: the Iria Flavia church, the pedron stone housed in the main church, and shrine on the hill. Here's our blog with photos: https://twoclinestraveling.wordpress.com/2018/09/06/caldas-de-reis-to-padron-20-9-kms-9-3-18/
In a symbolic sense, visiting these sites completes part of the story connected to the boat ride from Vilanova de Arousa (transport of St. James' body from Palestine to Spain). That can help get you in the mood for arriving in Santiago (St. James' final resting place, according to tradition) the next day.
Padrón also has a small museum dedicated to Rosalía de Castro, Galicia’s adored 19th century poetess.

I agree with All above not much to do and need to give allowance to the possibility of Tide adjustment. If it were up to me I would continue on and leave that rest day for Santiago de compostella. I was there two days and it wasn’t enough, so much to do and see and celebrate. Bon Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Een geweldig ding om te doen in Padron is om 's ochtends naar Cafe Don Pepe te gaan. Het is bij de kerk. De eigenaar is een levendige en sympathieke man die mensen met enthousiasme op pad stuurt. Het is een geweldige manier om je laatste dag op de Camino Portuguese te beginnen. Hij legde zijn handen op mijn schouders, keek me in de ogen en vertelde me hoe trots op me was. Ik moest dat meer horen dan die man ooit zou kunnen weten. Ik barstte bijna in tranen uit.

Ik kan niet veel anders zeggen over Padron, want het regende hevig de avond dat ik daar was.
Ik heb inderdaad de eigenaar van het Cafe in 2022 mogen ontmoeten. We ontmoetten een groep jonge pelgrims aanlopen en hij begroette ons heel enthousiast! We besloten om op zijn terras te gaan zitten en daar de lekkerste tarte de Santiago gegeten. Maar ik las laatst ergens dat hij ermee vanwege zijn leeftijd mee gestopt is. Helaas voor alle pelgrims die met de boot aankomen in Padron!

There's a museum for Rosalia de Castro (?), too. It's between Pardon And Herbon. You could wander over to Herbon, not super exciting, but birthplace of the pimiento de Pardon, they brought the seeds back from the Americas and developed that pepper there.

Padron is very nice. The albergue on the hill will give a “Pedronia” certificate which is quite nice. The climb to the top of the hill is also beautiful and has a great view of the city. Some great restaurants. If you are there on a Saturday, there might be a huge market - fun to walk through and the food is great. Not sure if it’s every week or once a month.
Just a note that the top of the hill is an important site in the local tales of St. James (the saint whose relics you are walking towards). It is the location of where is supposed to have preached to the Iberian Celts when he was still alive and one of the evangelists. Also in Padron is the mooring post where the stone boat with his remains is supposed to have fetched up. All in all, outside of Santiago, Padron has the closest association with the saint.

It is also associated with a dish of peppers that is well known throughout Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you can get a train or bus back to Caldas de rei there are beautiful swimming area/ waterfalls just 2km along the river outside. We spent a rest day there last August. Its 18kms from Caldas to Padron which is the recommended stage on the central route . Caldas also has natural hot springs etc and beautiful restaurants, gardens, black bamboo parks etc. Nice place for a rest day and bus it back to Padron in the morning your 11km day. Just a suggestion, of course. Daniel p.s see pics of our time in Caldas

Attachments

• 20230804_164846.jpg
    20230804_164846.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 20230804_164840.jpg
    20230804_164840.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230804_164835.jpg
    20230804_164835.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20230804_102252.jpg
    20230804_102252.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230803_182521.jpg
    20230803_182521.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14
We are walking from Pontecessures 13K to Teo and staying at the Country Casa Parada de Francos Rúa de Francos 43| Teo. https://www.paradadefrancos.com/ They also have a nice restaurant.
We stayed there last year as we wanted to break up the last day of walking so we could arrive in SdC earlier in the day.

Padron is a lovely little place to stay and lots to see the Iglesia de Santiago , Casa Museo de Rosalia and many others and chill like a local. then an easy walk the next morning early to arrive in Santiago well before lunch. Albergue Corredoiras.es is right on the Camino highly recommend it.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back