• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto places to stay?

Scottteresa30

Time of past OR future Camino
My husband and I will be walking from Sarria late sept 2016 for our 30th anniversary
Will be landing in Porto September 23 at 4:10. Would like recommendation for places to stay?
Thanks in advance!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The Park Hotel at the airport is functional and a few minutes from the terminal. As it's north of Porto it's a short walk from both the Central Route and the Coastal

But do you want to get straight onto the camino or do you want to enjoy the destination? Are you time poor or cash poor? Do you like history, or the food (great fish) or perhaps the wines of the region.

Give us a clue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you want to stay near the centre then I can recommend the Hotel Peninsular. A little bit "faded Victorian glamour" but the beds were super comfortable*, the air conditioning was efficient and whisper quiet, with the window shutters closed the room was dark and silent. What more could you ask for? The bathroom was on the small side.

* The bed was so comfortable I had a look at the make of mattress. It was a Portuguese firm. Importing a mattress seems a little extravagant.

I stayed in the central part and and enjoyed a few days at the Maison Albar Le Monumental. It had a fair pool, which was welcome since I'd been walking from Lisbon and the restaurant is reasonably good. The room itself had a proper bath and a really soft bed, which again was welcome. I can recommend this hotel.

I can recommend the 2 places I stayed in. Both were excellent and I would happily stay in them again. Gallery Hostel was just a few minutes walk to the Camino. House of Sandeman was across the river in Villa Nova de Gaia.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed in the central part and and enjoyed a few days at the Maison Albar Le Monumental. It had a fair pool, which was welcome since I'd been walking from Lisbon and the restaurant is reasonably good. The room itself had a proper bath and a really soft bed, which again was welcome. I can recommend this hotel.
How far from the airport and cost?

If you want to stay near the centre then I can recommend the Hotel Peninsular. A little bit "faded Victorian glamour" but the beds were super comfortable*, the air conditioning was efficient and whisper quiet, with the window shutters closed the room was dark and silent. What more could you ask for? The bathroom was on the small side.

* The bed was so comfortable I had a look at the make of mattress. It was a Portuguese firm. Importing a mattress seems a little extravagant.

The Park Hotel at the airport is functional and a few minutes from the terminal. As it's north of Porto it's a short walk from both the Central Route and the Coastal

But do you want to get straight onto the camino or do you want to enjoy the destination? Are you time poor or cash poor? Do you like history, or the food (great fish) or perhaps the wines of the region.

Give us a clue.
Close to airport, thank you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very central, right outside a station on the local city train network. Cost - ? I paid a couple of hundred a night, but cost all depends on when and how long and what room.

Plus, these things are very easy for you to find out yourself. Simply refer to an online booking agency and the Porto metro map.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back