• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gratuities

SRM

Time of past OR future Camino
Walk Camino in May (2015)
I have been to Europe several times and the ideas about tips seems different than in the US. I have worked for tips in my life as have some of my children and friends. The attitude and helpfulness of service people can really enhance the overall experience whether it is coffee/tea and a roll or a five star meal. I would like to be able to express myself in a proper manner ( I am on a budget ) Also, the albergues and hostels, what is proper appreciation for providing a welcome place to rest each day ?
Any help would be appreciated.
Stephen

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would like to be able to express myself in a proper manner
Say "thank you" in the appropriate language. There is almost no tipping in France or Spain. Waiters and waitresses are professionals and may even be insulted by offering them alms. I was uncomfortable not leaving a tip, so with the translation assistance of a Quebecoise and French woman, asked a waitress in France about tipping. She was adamant that she was a professional, well paid, and did not want a tip.

When dining with other pilgrims, everyone tosses out the posted price for the menu peregrino. No tax. No tip. No embarrassment. No angry waiter.

Should your bar bill be 2.90E, it is not necessary to wait around for the .10E, however. You can round up without offense. It is not an insulting "tip," it is just a convenience for everyone.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The "tip" is sometimes included in the bill in France and Spain, that said I have always tipped if I get good friendly service and I generally stick to the 10% rule as much as possible. The economy in Spain especially, is very bad at the moment and I can tell you that any tip will be greatly appreciated. If you get a cafe con leche for say €1.80 don't wait for your change.
Last year in Valencia four of us took a taxi from the apartment to the beach area which took about ten minutes, the fare came to €5.00 which I thought was incredibly cheap so I gave the taxi driver €7.00 and I could not get over how surprised and thankful he was, he actually got out of the taxi and shook my hand and thanked me. Your tip will make a big difference.
Buen Camino.

I have been to Europe several times and the ideas about tips seems different than in the US. I have worked for tips in my life as have some of my children and friends. The attitude and helpfulness of service people can really enhance the overall experience whether it is coffee/tea and a roll or a five star meal. I would like to be able to express myself in a proper manner ( I am on a budget ) Also, the albergues and hostels, what is proper appreciation for providing a welcome place to rest each day ?
Any help would be appreciated.
Stephen
Hy , Falcon said it all . Buen Camino .

Isn't this practice strange and Americans just accept it. As a nation of consumers we have no issues with supplementing wages for employers. My problem here at home is all tips are divided by all wait staff and not just your good server.

But in Ireland, France and Spain I have on occasion tipped for exceptional service.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My understanding is that in the North Countries and France service workers get paid a decent living wage and people from those countries do not have tipping as part of their culture. Ireland, the UK, Spain, Portugal pay their service staff minimum wage or maybe if they are lucky a bit more, if they can get away with it, a bit less. If those staff were to be paid a decent living wage our eating out bills would be a lot higher, this is why I tip at home and in those countries, I can afford the little it takes and it will make a difference.
Everyone has to make their own decisions on this issue for their own reasons.

My two best friends in Biarritz were in the hotel business and worked in many place around the world. They often make comments about tipping etiquette. We never take the change, if a glass of wine is 3.5 Euros, you either pay the exact amount or leave 2-2 euro coins and call it a day. If we have lunch and it costs 48 euros, we leave a 50 note. Voila.
What goes around comes around, the kinder and more courteous you are, you will find the next time during the closing after lunch you are going to be drinking all the left over wine at the bar for free.

I want to thank everyone for their responses to this question. It has been very helpful.
Buen Camino,

Stephen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One thing to add is in touristy areas the staff may be used to North Americans tipping and expect it. But outside of that it's not normal.

Okay second thing to add. The leaving the change goes both ways. If the bill is 50.10 you might see the owner only take €50. All that small change is a pain for everybody.

Wayfarer, I had the same experience when taking a taxi to Pamplona station. The fare was 5 euros, I gave him 7 and he got out of his cab (rather unusual) and shook my hand.
Ask I spoke a little Spanish ,he asked me if I thought that taxis were cheap in Spain.
I said yes and certainly much cheaper than the U.K.

... There is almost no tipping in France or Spain. Waiters and waitresses are professionals and may even be insulted by offering them alms. I was uncomfortable not leaving a tip, so with the translation assistance of a Quebecoise and French woman, asked a waitress in France about tipping. She was adamant that she was a professional, well paid, and did not want a tip. When dining with other pilgrims, everyone tosses out the posted price for the menu peregrino. No tax. No tip. No embarrassment. No angry waiter.

Should your bar bill be 2.90E, it is not necessary to wait around for the .10E, however. You can round up without offense. It is not an insulting "tip," it is just a convenience for everyone.

Sorry @falcon269 but as an European and an ex-waitress, when much younger, that is utter rubbish! Never met a single waiter/ess in my life here in Europe that was offended by getting a tip, not even in high-wage countries like Switzerland.

Rule of thumb:

Small bar bills - round up to next Euro or .50 cents.
Everything else you were happy with - 10% tip.
Everything you were really, really happy about - 15% tip.
Everything more than 15% tip outs you as an American, or Arab (also famous for over-tipping) - BUT just might make somebodies day ;-)

Buen Camino

PS Waiters have often to pay tax on non-cash/card tips, so if you happen to be in a restaurant that accepts cards, give the tip in cash and leave the waiter/ess to sort out what they do about taxes ;-)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The issue with tips in the US is that wait staff is paid half of minimum wage. So tipping here is isn't based on good service but an obligatory part of eating out. An "extra" tip can be given for exceptional service. In some cases, a service fee is added to a bill but is not standard. It is only when employers are required to pay their wait staff the minimum wage - or until. When the minimum wage was 1.60 for wait staff in my teen years, I was paid .80 cents an hour. That is what is still happening in the US. Until that changes, whether or not a tip in the US is divided among a group or individual waiter is not relevant.

While this is not the case elsewhere, having to work for low wages back then, I am personally unable to leave nothing. But it's not required.

My problem regarding gratuities is in the opposite direction to the Camino and going across the pond to North America.
This year I would like to visit Canada for approx 21 days. Second choice USA (maybe route 66) for roughly the same amount of time. I just want to sit back on a coach and see some of the wonderful sights of that particular country.
Trying to budget for this is causing some problems. First of all, a ÂŁ1200 single supplement on top of the cost of the holiday and no meals included.
Here are a few comments lifted from a forum regarding tipping / gratuities.. I have removed some of the names and places.

The holiday may include their services, but the price you pay doesn’t; we were told by our tour manager that we were to tip her and the coach driver £3 per day (this equated to $77 for each of them) and that it would be right to tip all the other guides $3 each . Make sure within your spending money you allow for the guide tips - also the pilots if you do any of the flights. $250 should just about cover them all.

The guidelines given by them (and also usually given in the holiday docs) usually suggest the equivalent of $2-3 per day for the local guide and $1-2 for the driver, but as you know this is at the customer's discretion

The subject of tips comes up quiet often, when traveling to certain countries especially the USA - I think the tips should be included in the cost of the holiday. I find the whole tipping business a pain and embarrassing. There were quite a few people on the this trip when I went who didn't realise how much they were expected to hand over in tips.

Although the Tour Manager usually says something about tipping the driver and local guides, this time SHE DID MENTION TIPPING HER AS WELL!!! she said the guide for her or the driver was $4-$5 a day, so approx $50 for her and $50 for driver plus all the locals guides chambermaids etc few $ here there and everywhere really does mount up over a 14-16 day holiday!

I think that I would prefer a price with all tips included. If you feel like giving someone an extra ÂŁ20 tip for great service then do so but budgeting $250 for tips on top then its not for me. So I will not be going, I have two grandchildren and one due at the end of this month, some of it will be spent on them.
I do not mean to disrespect anyone or their country. If I have, I apologise. It is just trying to get a grip on an unknown expense. Also the ÂŁ1200 single supplement p****d me off.

Charlie.

In the U.S., waiters, porters, maids, taxis, barbers, hair dressers, and a host of other service providers expect tips! Restaurants consider 15% minimum, and often will add 18% for groups of six or more. Waiters expect 20%, even 25% in fancier restaurants. Don't forget the maitre d' and the sommelier.

I am a fan of inclusive prices in France and Spain...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tipping is, depending on country, a minefield.

In Britain in restaurants it is either included in the bill presented to you (usually at 12.5%) with the option not to pay it. In some you are informed in advance there is no opt out. Some restaurants will make no reference to gratuities but still expect it. If paying with plastic I may or may not pay the (gratuities included) option. I may also, depending on service received, additionally leave cash for the waiter et al

Tipping in pubs in Britain is different. The custom for drinks or "at the bar" food is NO tips. However at the moment the jury is out on whether to tip for "sit at a table" waiter-served food. So up to you. I don't.

France, Italy, Spain - when paying for meal or drink with cash - depending on the amount of change that comes back on the "saucer" I will round up or leave what I think appropriate and personally hand it, without comment, to the waiter, bartender/bar owner but I do NOT leave it unattended on the table or bar.

As to paying with plastic I use the same rules as I do in Britain.

Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had a culture shock in San Fransisco: We were having a few beers and some snacks in a sports bar close to the Moscone Center. After two hours, the waiter was about to throw us out of the place: He shouted at us why we didn't tip him after each round! It was so unfamiliar compared to European culture; we tried to explain, but he wouldn't listen. Really rude. But with hindsight I understand: His wage must have been very low, depending on tips. We did not understand. This is NOT common in Europe. But as others say here: Petty change can be left, and if superb service is achieved; by all means. But make it clear; not insult.

Last edited:
I should say a little more: Here in Norway, I vacate as a skipper and sometimes cook/storyteller about Arctic wildlife & history. Whenever some of the guests try to tip me in addition to the amount on their bill (almost always Americans) I always point out to them that the amount is larger than what they have bought. They just look at me with a funny/surprised face.

If they really insist (2-3 times), I will accept it, but to be honest, with a taste in my mouth... They pay fixed prices, and I get a fair salary from the owner anyway. That's how it works here. So I agree with some comments above: Often, tipping could be taken as an insult, but if you are really happy with the service and really want to show your appreciation, tip, but say why, because it (tipping) is not expected.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Unjust country...
It is an anomaly for sure. Obviously, no one would work at that wage, but tips bring it up, sometimes substantially. That is why patrons cannot go back to a restaurant if they don't tip, and why you can find your friends won't go out with you to dinner when they see you don't leave a tip! You can tip only for good service, but don't expect to be welcome back, and don't expect your friends to accept a hardline stance against tipping. Rude is rude, even when you don't like a particular custom.

Falcon,
American rules are strange to me... I was once in a nice restaurant in Philadelphia, US, ordering a plank steak, and a 1kg. slab was placed on my plate. I asked the waiter: "I cannot possibly eat even half of this: Why do you serve me so much?" The waiter told me that their competitor next door served the same size, and if they didn't, they would lose customers. Needless to say, I could only eat 25%. The rest went into the waste bin (I sort of hope; or to some dogs). But hey, I tipped the guy: I had learnt my lesson in San Francisco!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The only place i've been where I felt I had to tip constantly was Egypt, but it wasn't a LOT of money on conversion, it just seemed like I was constantly tipping everyone.

Back in the day, when I first visited Britain (1965), tipping was just not done in a pub - but it was common, and appreciated, to ask the barman "will you have one with me?"

That still holds true. Though back in those days they would take it as a drink and pour it out so the customer could see they weren't taking cash out of the till ( I first worked behind a bar in 1964).
Nowadays the majority of pubs belong to chains and the rule in my local pub is that barman specifies the drink which is then recorded on the till roll and only that specified drink may be taken (never the cash) and can only be poured and consumed after they finish their shift and not behind the bar.

Last edited:
Unjust country...
I wouldn't be so harsh as to say unjust country, it's just the economy here in the US and that in much of Europe is built on different long-standing traditions. In the end, I suspect that the net earnings of a waiter here and in Europe are roughly the same, adjusted for overall cost of living.

And as for the waiter in the San Francisco sports bar, he either was having a really bad day or he was just an insensitive, provincial jerk. For future reference, if you're in a bar here in the US and expect to be drinking several rounds, ask the waiter or bartender if they will run a tab, which means you won't pay until you're finished, at which time you'll add the tip.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For future reference, if you're in a bar here in the US and expect to be drinking several rounds, ask the waiter or bartender if they will run a tab, which means you won't pay until you're finished, at which time you'll add the tip.
I notice ads here in Norway for Carib cruises (American ships), and the small print that says: "15% tip will be added". It is a significant amount of money...

You will find me in a friendly bar in Espana with newfound friends/great people. adding nada to the bill, and having a great, friendly time. Personal experience. I really love Espana and the Espanols. My kind of people.

Last edited:
The only place i've been where I felt I had to tip constantly was Egypt, but it wasn't a LOT of money on conversion, it just seemed like I was constantly tipping everyone.
Cuba too. If you go there, be sure you have a goodly stash of $1.00 US bills.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
And as for the waiter in the San Francisco sports bar, he either was having a really bad day or he was just an insensitive, provincial jerk. For future reference, if you're in a bar here in the US and expect to be drinking several rounds, ask the waiter or bartender if they will run a tab, which means you won't pay until you're finished, at which time you'll add the tip.

only that specified drink may be taken (never the cash) and can only be poured and consumed after they finish their shift and not behind the bar.
That takes all the charm out of it; back in the day the barman would generally chat a bit as he took his drink or at least lift it up to you in thanks. Under what you advise is the current rule, I guess I'd just leave a tip and be done with it.

Thanks for updating me!

Just as a matter of clarification... I was born and raised in San Francisco and have spent a bit of time in drinking establishment, and I would say that a bartender demanding a tip would be extremely rare. He must have been having a bad day, I have never heard of that happening to anyone I know. Bartenders are quite accustomed to receiving their tip when you leave.

And $2.13 is the Federal minimum wage for service employees. Each state has the option of complying with the federal standard or establishing a state minimum wage at or above the federal standard. The minimum wage for San Francisco is currently $11.05 and will be increasing to $12.25 on May 1st. That minimum wage applies to all those employed in the city of San Francisco, service workers included.

I am amazed at the amount of advice and experiences expressed by folk on here regarding tipping / gratuities from around the world. Thanks for the information. It is a real tsunami of a way to show appreciation or not.
I do tip by the way -usually the British way.

To SRM, sorry about hijacking your thread away from the Camino and your question.
Thanks once again.
Charlie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back