• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it easy to buy a day pack once on the camino

WldWil

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 SJPDP - Halfway
2016 Fromista - The other half
As mentioned in a different post, I injured my knee. Today I only have light pain when I walk on it. I am hoping by the time I leave in 4 days, it will be back to where I can make it 10-15k as sad as that sounds. I have given myself over to just getting as far as I can this year and returning next year.

I am wondering if I should bring one of those cheap light cloth day bags in case I have to ship things ahead or is it easy to find one once I get there if needed.

Thanks, Bill

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
As mentioned in a different post, I injured my knee. Today I only have light pain when I walk on it. I am hoping by the time I leave in 4 days, it will be back to where I can make it 10-15k as sad as that sounds. I have given myself over to just getting as far as I can this year and returning next year.

I am wondering if I should bring one of those cheap light cloth day bags in case I have to ship things ahead or is it easy to find one once I get there if needed.

Thanks, Bill
Hi, Bill,
Where are you starting? If it's SJPP or Pamplona, there are several stores selling lots of pilgrim gear so you whould not have a problem. Hoping that your knee gets better, I feel your pain. I walked with knee pain the last two weeks of my camino and it is still (more than a month later) giving me a little discomfort.

The only caution I would give you about day packs is to make sure your lower back can take them. If I throw on a typical day pack with no support, if there's more than a couple of pounds inside, my lower back will be aching within an hour. But with my internal support Mountainsmith, I have walked thousands of kms without any back pain at all and a weight of probably close to 20 pounds. Fingers crossed for you, buen camino, Laurie

Thanks, Bill
Hi Bill, hope everything is going well. And for your information the Camino will still be there next year :);)
I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Bill. Sorry to hear of your injury. One of our members suggested that if you need to have your stuff transported everyday, that you pack your stuff in a light, nylon, zippered bag available in China stores, and have that transported, and use your regular pack for day use. I think that's an excellent idea as, hopefully, the pack you initially intended to use, would have already demonstrated its comfort. Three weeks into my Camino, when I had to resort to pack transport, I sent my regular pack ahead, and used a very light 'daypack' which wasn't comfortable and really wasn't up to the task. Next time, I'll make sure to keep my very comfortable, tried and true Osprey backpack with me everyday, and send my stuff ahead in some other type of bag. Best of luck...

Last edited:
I am starting at SJPDP and have reservations at Orrison. My pack weight is down to 16 pounds including water and snacks. I spent the other night even taking tags off clothes and straps from sleeping bags and squeezing out a few ounces of liquids and digitizing my guidebook to help.

I just didn't know if I should carry that light 4 ounce sack for backup or if it easy to find on after I start. If I need it for sure, I rather bring what I have. My 36L pack is starting to have a lot of extra room.

Hi Bill,
I can only echo what's been said by other people above, then add this if I may, you said"I have given myself over to just getting as far as I can this year and returning next year".

Love that attitude Bill, it will most likely take you further than you think you are capable of at this moment.

Buen (happy-knee) Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The only thing you will find in chinos and supermarkets are those super light nylon bacgs that fold up in a tiny pouch to fit in a pocket. They are light, and I carry one for evenings around town to carry ipad in it. Some can be worn as backpacks, with thin rope for shoulder straps. Many people who do the Camino by bus tour use them, so I assu,e they are enough. I have carried something sturdier, a Black Diamond 6 liter or so bag with proper straps in the past.

Altus makes several very good sil-nylon 20 liter day packs. In my experience all El Corte Ingles department stores, and most smaller sporting goods shops will sell them. They cost about €30 - 35.

Both Altus models that I have compress to a size like a hockey puck. One has a separate pouch with a belt loop and is round(ish). I wear it on my rucksack lower shoulder strap. There, I can get it out while I am walking into a town to facilitate shopping, or whatever. I bought my first Altus day pack in an outdoors shop in Sto. Domingo de la Calzada.

The other model, newer one has an internal pouch that folds it flat. While it cannot attached easily to a belt or strap, it does fit in a cargo pouch or side mesh pocket on a rucksack. I bought this pack in July this year, in the Piterias Sports shop in the old section of Santiago de Compostela, just off Plaza Galicia, to the left on Rúa das Orfas.

BTW, Decathlon does not sell Altus or Sea to Summit products that I am aware of. However, they do carry several good small daypacks under their "Newfeel" house brand.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Bill

What I suggest for my clients, and what I've always done is to go to a "China store" (like a Dollar Store - they're everywhere) and buy a large zippered heavy duty bag to put heavier items in for bag transport. Then I WEAR my good fitting pack with my rain gear, food, and water in it.

Attachments

• China Bag.jpg
    China Bag.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 5
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found one those small fold up nylon bags and it has ties to be carried like a backpack. It weighs less then 2 ounces. I have been wondering what to do for secondary carry on for the air plane as well and this should work. My first plane is small and I will have to have my backpack h and checked until I get to Chicago where I can use it as a carry on. This will let me carry things I do not want stored away on the plane.

Today is the first time I walked in 3 days. I made it 1 1/2 miles before the pain acted up. I should be back to 8 by Friday at this pace.

So glad you made some improvement today, but easy does it:>) I've rigged up a rather colourful laundry bag to carry my backpack on board British Airways….wish you continued miles in your walking.

Thanks, Bill

Thanks for this thread @WldWil I too have a problem but its my shoulder and upper arm,I was wondering how to reduce my load. I got a Sea to Summit small pack thinking I would use that for water, food and waterproofs but it wasn't comfy after about 10km.
Yesterday I tried my full backpack with food, water (in bladder) and waterproofs and I am so happy! Works perfectly, getting on and off is tricky but I'll manage.
So I have now managed to find something like the 'China bag' above to ship some of my stuff. After Pamplona I plan to gradually increase my load till I can carry a full pack. :)

I'm thanking you because without this thread I'd have struggled along thinking I shouldn't use my full pack but this thread has shown me the way! Pun intended!:D

I hope you continue to heal and enjoy your camino experience despite the trials and tribulations. The camino will always be there, there's always next year.
Buen camino
Sarah

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well, I did 3 miles 5K today. A little stiff the first quarter mile, but then loosened up. 85 degree temp helped. It was flat and no pack, but I am confident with two day off for travel (flying out tomorrow) I should make it from SJPP to Orrisin. Feeling really good about the decision to break the first day up. It is unlikely I could handle more.

This may be my last post for a while (at least from the USA), so I'll impart my two final nuggets of wisdom.

1. This trip will be entirely about the journey as there is now no destination or even schedule, only a direction.
2. Never judge a fellow pilgrim by the size pack they carry. The weight of that tiny day pack may carry more weight and burden than you realize. I would trade a day pack (if needed) in a heartbeat for a full pack and healthy knee.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Buen Camino Bill! I hope everything goes well for you.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back