• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Resource icon

Shampoo and Conditioner Bars, Homemade Soap 2024-01-16

No permission to download
My shop is now back open: La Rioja Soap Company

If you are in Canada, shipping is hideously expensive for me, so I recommend you go to Etsy (the Canadian version) and find the shop "Get Lathered." Hers are very good.

Here's the info. on my bars (that I send with purchases):

I started making shampoo and conditioner bars a few years ago because I travel and hike a lot and didn’t like carrying liquids. I couldn’t even FIND small bottles of conditioner in many countries I visited. And I wasn’t satisfied with the shampoo and conditioner bars I found commercially available. (I also started making soap that was gentle, sudsy, long-lasting and would be good for washing the body and handwashing clothes while traveling.)

ONE shampoo or conditioner bar will last as long as THREE bottles of salon shampoo or conditioner. And I think mine are better, anyway.

SHAMPOO BAR
Wet your hair and the bar, then swipe it over your scalp until it becomes sudsy. When you rinse it off, you might find that your hair is squeaky/catchy (I don’t know how else to describe it). That’s okay! Many of us got used to commercial liquid shampoos that call themselves “moisturizing” or even “conditioning” and make your hair feel smooth even before you use conditioner. That’s because they often contain silicones and other ingredients that can build up on your hair or even damage it in the long run. This shampoo bar is made with just gentle cleansers at the correct pH for your hair, because it is a Shampoo, not a Conditioner.

CONDITIONER BAR
You don’t have to squeeze the excess water out of your hair before you use this. Wet the conditioner bar, then swipe it down the length of your hair, front and back. A little goes a long way. I keep a comb in my shower to comb it in. Rinse. You will be amazed at how healthy and soft your hair will be! Some of the ingredients in this conditioner bar are: coconut oil, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, Abyssinian or argan oil, hydrolyzed rice protein and Vitamin E.

If you keep these bars dry between uses using the enclosed soap pad, they will last a very long time. Let me know how you like them!

I also make these with 1.5% zinc pyrithione, for those who need this (I make em for my daughter).

My goal is not to make a profit, selling these. I love formulating They are expensive to make and I charge enough to break even.

I also make piñon salve, lip balm, lotion bars and who knows what I'll make tomorrow.

Some Trivia for you: When you type “shampoo” a few times, you start to notice what an unusual word it is. The word shampoo entered the English language from the Indian subcontinent in 1762 and was derived from the Hindi word cā̃pō (चाँपो, pronounced [tʃãːpoː]), itself derived from the Sanskrit root chapati (चपति), which means 'to press, knead, or soothe'.

I also make piñon salve, lip balm, lotion bars and who knows what I'll make tomorrow.

ps - I don't usually make the shell type shampoo bar because it doesn't fit in the tin I send them in.
  • shampoo and conditioner bars.jpg
    shampoo and conditioner bars.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 44
Author
JillGat
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 1 ratings

More resources from JillGat

Latest updates

1. More info for Canadians

I did just send shampoo and conditioner bars to David Tallan in Canada, but the shipping charge...

Latest reviews

A great initiave, good products

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.
This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back