• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...Francais!

Gary May

Time of past OR future Camino
My first Camino begins on 16th July 2017
Today I realised I'm now entering the 10 week final countdown for my Camino!!! Whilst it may sound far off compared to those heading off in 1 or 2 weeks - I am feeling somewhat unprepared.
I'm keeping an eye on several threads to give me the best experience on my journey and will be booking somewhere in SJPDP in advance (due to late arrival of train through France) I will also book in at Roncevalles as am aiming to tackle the Pyrenees in on go.
It wasn't until seeing a few posts, that I realised there were 2 different routes - Napoleon & Valcarlos :oops:
I have a fairly fast walking pace...as complained at me by many a hiking buddy - albeit from a distance far behind me! :p and will be attempting to reach Santiago in 28 days. Then an additional 4 to take me out to Fisterra & Muxia. This will set me at around 25-30km per day and with me being an early riser, I'll be hitting the road between 6-7am.
Still need to finalise my pack - but will be travelling light with just a spare set of clothes / sleeping bag / 1st aid kit / miniature toiletries / water bladder & a trusty pair of birkenstocks (for the evening - not walking in)
Being somewhat camera happy - I will be packing this along with a guidebook & journal as my "luxuries" but will need to weigh up the pack shortly, to avoid excess weight.
Also looking at changing my footwear after a recent incident involving leather boots...111km hike....& nasty blisters!!!!
A couple of questions to fire at the seasoned pros:
*With my Camino being during July/Aug - will I need additional layers such as jumper / jacket / poncho? (will be wearing base layer & hiking shirt or tech t-shirt)
*Is it best to take cash or pre-load a card?
*I was planning on just taking shorts - but would it be wise to sub one pair for a pair of zip-offs?
*When stamping a credential - how many spaces are there? (I'm hoping to create a display with mine upon returning and would like to have all stamps visible)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Gary, these are thoughtful questions and although I cannot answer all of them - just wait a moment and you won't be short of advice from forum members - I will begin with your last question. Suggest you order your credencial from Ivar, it will arrive quickly and at low cost and is in a concertina format so provides what you want for future display. You will be walking at a time that will be marked by high temperatures so it might be a necessity to become an even earlier riser so you can be on the road and on your way even before the sun rises. Cash is always necessary on the Camino, you are travelling mainly through small villages and paying small amounts for cffee, meals and of course, the albergues. Cards tend not to be used. You will be able to find ATMs at regular points along the route and the information sheet given you at the pilgrim's office in SJPDP gives details of accommodation and facilities such as ATMs. I am 67 woman who walked the CF 2 years ago in 33 days (not including the two days I was holed up in a pensione with an chest infection). So if the weather is not too scorching and you keep hydrated your time frame seems doable but you won't have time to look around Burgos or Leon. Or perhaps you are so speedy that you will, who knows. it seems doable. Bear in mind that you are walking at atime when schools and colleges have their holidays so it will be busy, you might have to book ahead for accommodation, but you will sort that out when you are there. Buen Camino!

GOOD LUCK! I'll do my best to answer some of your questions.

* It will likely be HOT, HOT HOT! Just a light jacket and rain jacket, or just the rain jacket.
* Use cash, there are ATMs in all the bigger towns.
* I went in early September on both of my Caminos, and I never needed pants, but you can take a pair if you want.
*I'm not sure how many spaces are on the "average credential", but you will likely fill up both sides of it with stamps, I did.

Have fun and enjoy!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Gary,

Glad you're excited, me too, I start my second Camino 10 days before you. In answer to your questions I would say;

You'll probably not need too much by way of warm gear. I won't be taking any, though I will have zip off trousers and a waterproof. If the weather is freakishly bad I'll buy stuff there rather than lugging stuff around just in case.

I would carry at least 4 days worth of cash, last time out I had to borrow money because ATMs were so few and far between.

Turning your credential into a display is a brilliant way of keeping the memory alive, I have mine framed along with a picture of my Camino Family and it is one of my most prized possessions. On the standard credential you get in SJPdP I managed to get all my 30 stamps on one side, though towards the end I was having to ask the stampers to be careful not to spread them out too much.

Hope this helps,

Buen Camino.

Hi Gary,

Glad you're excited, me too, I start my second Camino 10 days before you. In answer to your questions I would say;

You'll probably not need too much by way of warm gear. I won't be taking any, though I will have zip off trousers and a waterproof. If the weather is freakishly bad I'll buy stuff there rather than lugging stuff around just in case.

I would carry at least 4 days worth of cash, last time out I had to borrow money because ATMs were so few and far between.

Turning your credential into a display is a brilliant way of keeping the memory alive, I have mine framed along with a picture of my Camino Family and it is one of my most prized possessions. On the standard credential you get in SJPdP I managed to get all my 30 stamps on one side, though towards the end I was having to ask the stampers to be careful not to spread them out too much.

Hope this helps,

Buen Camino.

I may catch you up by the time you get to Santiago o_O though I doubt my pace is THAT quick!
Thanks for the advice - I'll probably get a cheap poncho that packs away small. If I get caught in any rain.....i'll dive for shelter.
I forget the rules on stamps - will have to re-check. But do you need 2 per day only for the final 100km? Personally, I'd rather get as many as possible to add to the memories - even if it meant acquiring a separate credential

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
GOOD LUCK! I'll do my best to answer some of your questions.

* It will likely be HOT, HOT HOT! Just a light jacket and rain jacket, or just the rain jacket.
* Use cash, there are ATMs in all the bigger towns.
* I went in early September on both of my Caminos, and I never needed pants, but you can take a pair if you want.
*I'm not sure how many spaces are on the "average credential", but you will likely fill up both sides of it with stamps, I did.

Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks for the advice - I'll stick with the shorts I think & hopefully the Camino is merciful on me!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I may catch you up by the time you get to Santiago o_O though I doubt my pace is THAT quick!
Thanks for the advice - I'll probably get a cheap poncho that packs away small. If I get caught in any rain.....i'll dive for shelter.
I forget the rules on stamps - will have to re-check. But do you need 2 per day only for the final 100km? Personally, I'd rather get as many as possible to add to the memories - even if it meant acquiring a separate credential

You never know, I've planned to go on to Finisterre, but if it's crazy hot I may just take it easy and walk short days.

Last time round my wrecked feet were all the evidence I needed that I'd walked, but in all seriousness one a day is fine if you're doing the whole thing, it's only folk who are starting around 100kms out who need 2 stamps a day.

Be a bit careful about detailed planning. Allow extra time (if available) to promote spontaneity and avoid being locked into a "schedule".
It really is not a race and no points are given for time or speed.
Others will rarely pay any attention to your pace...slow or fast.
You may miss the companionship of your new friends if you out distance them each night.
I suggest that it may be more calming and rewarding to just let the adventure happen.

Be a bit careful about detailed planning. Allow extra time (if available) to promote spontaneity and avoid being locked into a "schedule".
It really is not a race and no points are given for time or speed.
Others will rarely pay any attention to your pace...slow or fast.
You may miss the companionship of your new friends if you out distance them each night.
I suggest that it may be more calming and rewarding to just let the adventure happen.

Thanks Grayland, I'm not going to overplan - that is one of my 2 aims for going.....to let go of control and leave things to happen as they will or are meant to. Whilst I wouldn't want to leave the company of good friends - I will also be mindful that it will be my Camino and I don't want to be in a position of missing out on seeing wonders that may appeal to me, but not others. I'm also thinking of staying in some of the smaller towns to avoid those just following the guidebook.
I'm also not planning to race through and miss out....but know my own pace as an experienced walker and the distances I can comfortably cover. That being said - if I stumble across a little gem of a town, I will take the opportunity to stop and enjoy it.
Like you say - "let the adventure happen" I think that sums up the Camino perfectly. Everyone's journey is individual and tailored to them / the decisions they make.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.