• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st Camino from SJPP, May 2013, question about May 1 holiday

katdavis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013), C2C(2013), Shikoku 88 Temples(2013), Thames Path(2013), Camino Portuguese(2014), Hadrian's Wall(2014), Cinque Terre(2014), Camino Primitivo(2014), Camino Ingles(2014), PCT(2015), Camino Frances (2015)
Hi,

I'm Kat from Melbourne and I plan to start from SJPP in May 2013 to Santiago then Finisterre, no exact date yet. It's Labour Day on the 1st May though, does anyone know how this will affect businesses and if I could still get my Pilgrim's Passport on this day?

This forum has been such an inspiration for me and I'm so excited that after nearly 10 years of dreaming about doing this walk, I finally am!

Thanking everyone in advance for any advice.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
1st Camino, from SJPP, May 2013, question about May 1 holida

katdavis said:
Hi, I'm Kat from Melbourne and I plan to start from SJPP in May 2013
Thanking everyone in advance for any advice.

Hi Kat,

There is a Melbourne Camino group that meets over a meal about once a month or so. I haven't been able to get to any of their get togethers as yet due to conflicting commitments, their next meeting is 22 feb, I believe their are past and future pilgrims that attend,

I too am planning the Camino this year, about 1 month after your planned start, this will be my 4th, good luck with your planning and prep, May last year was very wet, hopefully it won't be this year,

Regards

Frank

Re: 1st Camino, from SJPP, May 2013, question about May 1 holida

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the information about the Melbourne group, I have just emailed them now and hope to join them later this month.

Here's hoping May this year is not as wet as last year!

Buen Camino.
Kat

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re: 1st Camino, from SJPP, May 2013, question about May 1 holida

The Pilgrim Office will be open its usual hours. Stores will mostly be closed, but bars and restaurants will be open. The Spanish may turn it into a five-day weekend. Last year there were labor protests and strikes, which are likely this year, too. I was in Leon and the protests broke up by mid-morning. The stores were closed until then; the owners did not want to be vandalized for defying the strikers by being open.

Thanks falcon269, I was a bit worried everything would be closed, but as long as the Pilgrim's office is open and I can get some tortilla somewhere, I'll be fine :)

Hi Kat

A nice cafe con leche early on each morning then you just keep putting one foot in front of the other, look around to enjoy the scenery, keep your camera handy for those sights big or small that catch your eye ( don't forget to look at the view behind you ) and then alas all too soon you'll be entering Praza do Obradoiro and standing in front of Santiago Cathedral.

Buen Camino

Seamus

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.