• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

2 Worries

mcopeland

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - April-June, 2016
Portuguese Lisbon-Santiago - October, 2017
The two main worries I have for my Camino starting April 25th (for about 7 weeks - we're slow) is sleeping and bathrooms. I'm a light sleeper, have a comfy Temperpedic bed and love to snuggle in it under the covers in my nice comfy nightgown. I also want the Camino experience of staying in albergues (at least half of the time - I'll be going with my husband, and it would be nice to sleep with him sometimes!). What do I sleep in? So far I have a liner. I've heard some say they bring a small light quilt instead of a sleeping bag. Second worry - bathrooms. I just can't go in the bushes. I'm not a squatter (hurts my knees too much, and I'll just topple over) nor have I figured out the standing up thing. Any suggestions to allay my fears would be appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What I found worked for me was making sure that I used the toilet before I left wherever I was staying each morning, and I would then use the toilet after having coffee, whether I felt like it or not. In spring, I carry a sleeping bag and liner. The bag is semi-rectangular design that can be opened out and used as a quilt.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, to answer your second question: sometimes you might not have a choice but to "go" outside. If you have stability issues, you can lean with your back to a tree or boulder and bend your knees slightly. The tree/rock will absorb most of your weight and will make it easier. Why not try at home? Please don't stress about this. Everybody has to go at some point. I haven't walked the Frances in years but I understand that facilities are even more frequently found than ever before so potentially you'll rarely have to worry about this issue.

Don't worry about that! In nearly every town/village/city you walk into there will be an albuergue (or two or three) and a hotel/hostel where you can get a private room with a bathroom for 10 - 20 euro more. Some days you'll be fine with the albuergue - there won't be too many people, the bathroom won't be in high demand, it will be clean and accommodating. And other days you will walk in, see the person who kept you awake the night before with snoring, or see the crowd or just really want a place with a tub you can soak in or WHATEVER and turn around and get yourself a private room with a "marital" bed. Sometimes the albuergues will also have private accommodation you can pay a little extra for. I walked in April and May and my sleeping bag was more than enough for me. The albuergues generally have a blanket you can throw on over your bag if need be (never needed it).

I'm glad I'm of the male gender and a tree to stand behind is all I need. I am starting my camino on the 13th April and will warn you now that I can sleep through anything but my wife does complain that I snore. She will be sleeping well without me as I am leaving her at home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you are walking the Frances you will have access to a loo every 5km or so, perhaps 10 at the most except in a few stretches. Just plan ahead: don't leave the albergue before using the toilet, same after breakfast and coffee in a bar. Buy a drink in a bar and use their facilities even if you don't feel the urge. I know how my body works after I've had coffee so after my second cafe con leche I just linger a bit longer at the bar until I need to visit the little girl's room. Using mother nature as a place to releave youself should only be for emergencies, and please do not leave traces.

For bedtime, are you asking what to wear as PJs? For 3 Caminos I wore just that: light cotton PJs. They could also double up as an extra longsleeve T or comfy clothes to wear in the albergue. Then I wanted leggings to wear under rain pants, so I wore those as PJs if they were not drying after being worn under rain pants. Some people sleep in what they will wear the next day but I find those clothes too restrictive to be comfy in bed.

Walking the Frances, I never had to go "out in nature". There are so many places to stop for cafe con leche or that delicious fresh squeezed orange juice or a beer or yummy Santiago cake in between meals. It's a nice social break and a fine time to "empty and refill."

On my last Camino Francés I don't think I needed to wee in the outdoors once. There are so many places along the way to stop, buy something, and use their facilities.

On the Sheewee question - I tried a GoGirl. Useless. A cheap plastic oil funnel purchased from the auto store works best! This article is helpful.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
April to June? Get the lightest, most packable summer weight sleeping bags you can find. Don't know y'all's budget, but they have a wide price range. For the nights you want to forgo the albergue experience, there are plenty of places to get a private room all along the Camino.
As far as doing #1 while doing the Camino? Believe me, you will figure it out. You will get a routine of sorts everyday. Nothing to even think about.
Honestly, throw out your worries and fears. There is absolutely nothing to worry or be afraid of while walking the Camino. I get more worried and fearful just driving through Houston.
cheers

I can only empathize on question #2 but for the first question, if you haven't already bought some, you might consider buying some ear plugs. I stayed mostly in Albergues and often found myself sleeping in the same room with the Pavarotti of snoring and unfortunately in the winter months there wasn't an opportunity to go to a different Albergue. My ear plugs were the only thing that kept me asleep/sane! Regarding sleeping bags/quilts, I used a down sleeping bag previously but have changed to a down sleeping quilt with a single bed sheet so I can sleep without restriction and wake up a little less stiff than a sleeping bag allows me.

Are there loo stops every 5 K's on the Route Napoleon? Not from what I've read. Same for long stretches between Roncesvalles and Santo Domingo where I finish. Just going by Gronze and MMDD, distance between towns/villages is often more than 5 K. Are there toilet stops outside of these places?

I have been concerned about this very thing, especially since (I'm 66) the tank seems to need emptying a lot more than it used to. So I have practised holding it in and can report a huge improvement. A side benefit is sleeping for longer periods.

I need tea in the morning but tea won't wait so I give it an hour for 2 cups. Beer is worse. Don't normally drink it but can see a cold caña seducing me on the Camino so plan to make sure it leaves before I do.

Before visits to countries majoring in squat toilets, I have found practice with a bucket in the bathroom helps prepare the knees and quads.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Deb you are right, there is not a loo every 5 km. Which is one reason why the Camino is becoming a trail of toilet paper. Please, ladies particularly, take a small cotton handkerchief or something similar in a ziplock plastic bag - just rinse it and dry it each evening. So easy. Or alternatively use a panty liner instead, and change it when you get to the next loo. But do be warned that panty liners can cause blisters in rather nasty spots, take a pair of scissors and don't ignore a hot spot if it develops. As a side benefit, panty liners make excellent blister prevention inserts in shoes ...

Walking is tiring. Your body adjusts to your it's needs and you will probably soon adapt and sleep reasonably well.
Have you looked at shewees?
Buen Camino both
Not sure that answers the OP's questions!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mcopeland,
I can't comment on all of Camino Frances but form Leon to Santiago there were cafes and facilities at very short intervals except for a stretch before Portamoran. I got in the practice of using the facilities at every opportunity whether I felt the need or not.
For sleeping I brought a very light weight sleeping bag and mainly used as a blanket. For pajamas a light cotton beach dress as I liked the longer length (thigh length) and Capri leggings. Felt comfortable and sufficiently covered for albergues.
Enjoy and burn camino.

I too am a terrible sleeper. So always slept in cheap but private rooms (often with a private bathroom even). I paid on average between $30/50 for 2 people. I only used my sleeping bag liner and didn't bring a sleeping bag at all there most private rooms in Albergues have blankets or even fully made up beds. Obviously if you are using the dorms now and then too you may need a sleeping bag. I looked up a lot of Albergues before we left on Booking.com or simply googled some to check out what they offered and wrote down the ones I liked . Then called 1 or 2 days ahead to reserve a room . This worked well in May and I always found a room. Yes a bit "planned" but it worked great for me.
Now in answer to your "going to the bathroom" question. I, as many others here mentioned , never left a cafe/restaurant/albergue without going to the bathroom.And as I wrote, I often had a private bathroom for the night. However during my entire Camino I still needed to go in "nature" 3 times. It happens and was no big deal. You just have to let go of that fear and deal with it as needed. Everybody else does too

Fear not - nearly everyone has these concerns before they start .. at first refugios seem very strange indeed and one feels self conscious but after a couple of days it all seems to be quite normal .... as for loo stops - I know of plenty of sections on the Frances that are miles and miles long without a village, let alone a toilet.

You will see quite a lot of toilet paper in many places and this is nearly 100% left by females as men don't use paper after peeing - why women keep their homes so clean and then litter like that I really don't know - but would suggest you take a grip-seal sandwich bag with you to put your used paper in.

You will want to take all those 'just in case' items, the perfect sleeping items and so on but you absolutely must remember your pack weight - if you take all the extra stuff you may well be over-burdened and will not have a pleasant time of it.

For woman peeing outdoors - get one of these, a Feminal ..

from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Female-Fi...antiago-/161983649146?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT or elsewhere

and - earplugs? Absolutely!!!! You roll them until they are compressed and thin then put them into the ear and hold them in by pushing against the end, they will then expand in your ear - in fact, take two pairs in case you lose one!!!

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

This would be a better graphic if the top "MODEL" did not have the thing backwards!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
mcopeland:

I can't help you much with your questions (first timer on the Camino), but wanted to note I'll be leaving SJPP on 25 April as well. Looking forward to meeting you!

Fred

Warning - the picture @David posted looks exactly like the first one I tried - utterly useless. The plastic is too soft and the device cannot be used as illustrated because you basically have to undress. Get one that is more rigid so you can shove it through your clothes. I apologise for the detail - but having bought one and tried it many times at home I know the disaster if it does not work!

The link I posted gives a summary of most of the devices on the market, and which ones work the best. And yes, I tried the oil funnel and agree it is the easiest to use. Unfortunately it is rather large and bright yellow, not exactly discrete. Here's the link again: http://www.backpacker.com/gear/appa...ar-review-female-urination-devices/#bp=0/img1

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
You will see quite a lot of toilet paper in many places
Peg and I were looking at my pictures of the CF the other and she made a comment that has ruined an otherwise nice picture. It was a picture of a huge stack of hay bales and I rather liked it but she said "I remember that; there was toilet paper all over behind it." I had forgotten but I don't think I can do that again.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sorry but I think those "devices" are cumbersome and unnecessary.
Who wants to pack a used pee funnel for 500 miles?

There are ways to be more private if you choose to use them. Bushes, trees, haystacks, a skirt, sarong, a towel, or even a poncho can work.

If you really have to go, you will just go. People are respectful if they encounter someone in the process.

I never ran into any women "in the act" but did encounter the occasional man watering the bushes. In true pilgrim style one simply averts their eyes, shouts "Buen Camino", and keeps walking.

Last time, I walked with my wife (in late October, and there was still lots or people), so I tried to make reservations after Leon. No e-bookings needed, I just called early in the morning, after evaluating how we felt and our chosen destination. Many times, after explaning we were a couple, we arrived to find that hospitaleros had reserved us a private room. Quite friendly, and convenient. As this situation was reiterative, I think there is some kind of informal policy about this, I mean, reserving a room for couples, when available.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For woman peeing outdoors - get one of these, a Feminal ..

I gather from women friends who hike that these (and others like them) require some practice at home under the shower. (I suppose it's only logical -- boys need to practise too.)

I gather from women friends who hike that these (and others like them) require some practice at home under the shower. (I suppose it's only logical -- boys need to practise too.)
and all the women will need to remember to leave the toilet seat UP for a change...

Hello to everybody

Together with another couple, fiends of us we intend to do the CF in July - August 2016.

The main concern that my friend has, is that might be too hot in that period, but unfortunately my husband and I we have only this period available. I know that the evaluation is quite personal, but is indeed so hot that you cannot walk at all?

I think that only in the “meseta” might be quite hot, but at the same time I seen that mornings and evenings are not so hot.

Please advise!

Tamara

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yeah, slipped and busted me arse on my first Camino when I was getting off the main trail to go do #1 (muddy and slick). Went down like a sack of you know what and sprained my wrist and knee breaking my fall. Fortunately nobody saw me and my ego didn't get bruised as well. After that it was politeness and modesty be damned. I would simply take a step or two off the route and water the bushes, tree, whatever.
Of course I was polite when I could be and would wait for a break in pilgrim traffic. I'd just stand there until they passed by, but sometimes they gave puzzled looks as they did. Almost like they are thinking, "why's that guy just standing there?". Waiting for you to go by, darn it, ha ha.

As far as sleeping in alburgues, what I found worked the best is to listen to white noise on my iPhone through earbuds. There is a really good white noise app called simply White Noise. They have a free version. It also has an alarm clock. If you wear a buff around your head the earbuds stay in easily and comfortably. I slept through the snoring of freight trains this way.

What's your idea of hot weather? Personally I didn't find it too hot at all on any part of the CF during July-August. I thought it was perfect weather. Cool mornings and evenings. Bright sunny days. Dry, low humidity. I wore shorts and a t-shirt everyday, and when it got cool, a fleece pullover. You definitely do need some sunscreen and a good hat to protect you from sunburn.
As far as the meseta goes, it's no different than the rest of the CF. Just flatter, with some rolling hills. It's not even remotely like a "desert" as some people describe it and it's no hotter or dryer and no sand, which I think is a prerequisite for deserts, ha ha. It's just agriculture fields filled with grain and sunflowers and such.
The days are longer in July and August on the CF and if you want to avoid the hottest part of the day, just try to finish your walking by 3:00 pm or so. It's plenty doable and never so warm you cannot walk.
Stay hydrated.
cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Mark,

Thank you so much for your reply! from what I see you are a real veteran with CF. For us it will be the first time and a lot o worries are coming every day: do I get sleeping places, can we face 25-30 km daily, do I have strong enough knees? But the weather is the first question mark because we need to buy in advance the plane tickets - I think this is the most important step to move forward.

I never ran into any women "in the act" but did encounter the occasional man watering the bushes. In true pilgrim style one simply averts their eyes, shouts "Buen Camino", and keeps walking.

I did last year. Walked around a bend in the path in woodland near Arzua and almost bumped into a young woman standing up but with trousers and underwear around her ankles. Damp steaming patch in the middle of the track. Too close and too late to pretend not to see her. I simply said a polite "buenos dias" as I passed by. A very hard angry and probably embarrassed stare in return. When you are in a forest with thousands of trees why choose to pee right in the middle of one of the busiest footpaths in Europe?

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi there.... We are doing the Camino beginning of June (our first) .... I just wanted to respond to your "bathroom issues". They now make some wonderful items that allow women to pee standing up (without exposure) ... I personally have a "Flobee" (or something like that) which I have used often and is perfect and easy once you get over the feeling of awkwardness. I carry it in a pouch with Kleenex and a disinfectant ... Or rinses easily under a tap. Check out on line or at hiking/outdoor stores.... Good luck.

Might you have a list of Albergues which have private rooms or other hostels that have them also?

You do know that this is the whole point of the Camino? It, the Beloved, addresses your fears, step by step, so you can overcome them. You will! You have 7 weeks....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't think I had a good sleep on the camino. I thought I would be sooooo tired that I would be able to sleep through anything but this was not the case. So in addition to earplugs, my fiancé and I would rent a pension or hotel room or a 'double' room in an albergue every 6 nights or so, to give us privacy and relief from all the snorers and the farters. Lol!! Also, when I've got to go, I've got to go, so I did have to use the outdoors occasionally, when it was an emergency. Sometimes bathrooms are not available, and sometimes even if there is a town on your map, it does not mean there is a bathroom there. You can buy biodegradable toilet paper at camping stores so please do that. Also, you can balance yourself on a tree or something like that, if you need to. I also saw some ladies with long hiking skirts (I was surprised they make them!) and that afforded some privacy too. Or, if it's raining, so will your poncho.

Buen camino!!

April to June? Get the lightest, most packable summer weight sleeping bags you can find.

Hi @Mark Lee - We are scheduled to start our camino from SJPdP on May 1 and we are giving ourselves up to 6 weeks to get all the way to SdC. The lightest sleeping bag I could find within budget is 663g (23.38 oz) and is rated to be comfortable at +13 C (55.4 F). Is this good enough, especially for the early weeks of May? My understanding is that these first few days, we'll be in the mountains and I'm trying to figure out how cold it will be at night. I also read somewhere in the forum that there are times when albergues have no blankets (Roncesvalles?). I have another sleeping bag that is comfortable to 0C, but it is much bulkier and heavier.

My thinking is that if it gets below +13C and there are no blankets, I could possibly wear several shirts to keep warm.

Thanks in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm sure that sleeping bag will be more than adequate.
The earliest I ever walked the Camino was in early June and the albergues were not cold at all, and if one is a bit chilly a bag like that will keep you warm.
I would guess that probably 70% of the albergues I stayed in on my Caminos had blankets available. That's a combination of municipal and private albergues.
I recommend not carrying the heavier, bulkier sleeping bag. You will regret it, and it may end up on a donativo table at an albergue when you tire of hauling it around, ha ha.
cheers and ultreia

Yes, exactly - I learned so much from this forum. If I've not been lurking here for months and just went ahead and packed based on my own instincts, I probably would end up shedding a lot of useless stuff along the way. I share what I learn here with my wife and I've even convinced her to cut her hair short to minimize the shampoo/conditioner issues.

Now, our current plan is to try and fit everything in our 28-liter backpacks.

Kusitb, have you bought the lighter bag already? If so, why not open the windows in your bedroom and sleep just in the sleeping bag one night and you'll see if its sufficient. Be warned: the temperature rating on the bags is very subjective and not equal amongst brands. Often it seems it's rated as just enough to prevent hypothermia! And everyone is comfortable at different temperatures. The only way to know for certain is to try. Hopefully you can buy your bag somewhere that will take returns if it doesn't work for you.

@alipilgrim, Yes i bought the sleeping bag yesterday and I have up to 60-days to return it.

Thanks for the advice, I will try sleeping on it tonight just to see how it feels. I will try opening the window, but it will not be a very good test since night time temp tonight here in Toronto is expected to go down to -3C. But yes, I will try it out and hopefully, it will get warmer in the next few days.

BTW, the sleeping bag's label says:

Comfort: +13C
Limit comfort (transition): +10C
Extreme (risk): oC

I also just learned yesterday, from the helpful guy at the store where I bought it from, that men's and women's bags are rated differently. Apparently, men's bodies give out more heat.

And everyone is comfortable at different temperatures. The only way to know for certain is to try.

Hi @alipilgrim - Yes, definitely. That's why I think a more useful piece of information (at least for me) would be to know the coldest nighttime temperature that I can reasonably expect for May 1 to mid-June, starting from SJPdP all the way to SdC. Is it reasonable to expect that the coldest will not be below +13C? With that info, I can watch the weather forecast here in Toronto and try to time my test to match the temperature.

Now that I think about it, I will test at different temperatures and see how it feels.

I walked in May (left end of April and returned early June) last year and took a light weight Montbell "Alpine Burrow Bag-Thermal Sheet". It's a very thin but cozy sleeping bag which I really liked. I never felt cold. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Edit to add: I thought if I ever felt cold I could layer on more clothes or put a blanket on top of the bag but I never needed to do either.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi @Ahhhs - that's nice to know... and yes, my plan right now is that if it gets too cold, I will just put on more clothes, even if I have to put all the clothes I'm bringing. And if it's good for me, that my wife will be OK since I get cold before she does.

Edit: I just looked up the "Alpine Burrow Bag-Thermal Sheet". The specs says +10C so it's close to what I have, so that gives me some comfort that my sleeping bag is good enough. In any case, I will do the test mentioned earlier and see how it goes.

Honestly, don't overthink it too much. I have yet to hear of a pilgrim suffering from hypothermia after getting too cold in an albergue.
Remember, you will be sleeping indoors every night.
My first Camino I didn't bring a sleeping bag, liner or any type of sheet. I just slept on top of the mattresses or used the albergue blankets when available. Never had a problem and never got frostbitten.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I can't say I ever had a great sleep in the alberques but it wasn't so bad. I did use ear plugs, the wax ones, and I did take a night off here and there and stay in hostels or hotels, in a private room. I must also admit that on occasion I was the snorer. One german fellow really admonished me for snoring and told me I was fat and that I should only stay in private rooms. On the bathroom note, I was impressed when I saw a lady clambering out of the bushes with a fully loaded backpack on, zipping up jeans, with a cigarette in her mouth, I mean, that takes a bit of talent folks !!

I share what I learn here with my wife and I've even convinced her to cut her hair short to minimize the shampoo/conditioner issues.

Love It!!
I have done exactly as you suggested to your wife.
I was a bit nervous about it at first but I knew if I didn't do something, my hair would be unmanageable even with my buff.
I tell everyone it's my Camino Cut

A normal bladder holds about 500 mL or 2 cups worth of fluid. Alcohol makes you want to pee even sooner. The heat in Spain tends to be a dry heat so you will sweat off a lot of your fluid intake and it evaporates pretty quickly so you may not realise how much fluid you are losing.
A hiking umbrella can be handy for those areas where there are no trees and there is open road. Aarn packs are really handy when you have to go RIGHT NOW and you don't have time to take everything off. Everything is quite balanced.
Toilet paper - only got caught once where I had to dip into the stash. Either have a small rubbish bag you can quietly dispose of later or bury your waste. Thankfully on the VDLP you don't come across loo paper too often.
Many albergues have blankets available. I took a sleeping bag AND a liner and alternated between them but I live in the tropics and hate being in less than 20 deg C temps. The sleeping bag I had was a MArmot Nanawave 55 Ultralight which is very light and small to pack.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum