• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2nd Camino... now del Norte... advice?

lianaj

HI there,

I walked my first Camino (Frances) from St Jean to Finisterre last year (late Jun-Aug). It was the most beautiful adventure of my life! I'm returning to Spain and thinking to walk from Irun-Santiago. Last year I was equipped with my trusty guidebook and months of research and preparation only to discover how nurtured and guided I was from the moment I stepped on to the trail. The trail was perfectly way-marked. I could have traveled without any map and still ended up exactly where I was meant to be.

From what I've read, the North Route is much more isolated with fewer pilgrims/albergues/facilities. Can anyone offer advice regarding whether I would be safe to arrive in Irun without any guidebook and follow my nose? Are there adequate brochures to guide me and help me find me accommodation. I'm a 27 year old girl planning to walk mid May through June.

The Camino Frances was such a joyful and empowering experience for me and while I'm excited to return, I'm a little nervous to venture off the route that I know.

Thank you friends
Liana

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Liana
i'm sure you will be ok,but why take the risk you still have 2 months to do lots of research, all the information you need is on this site,I also walk the Norte this year from May 11th and having walked the French Camino twice and also the vdlp I know the Camino will provide-like you my first Camino was all and more than I expected but you have to walk this years Camino not last years and some research will ensure this.I wish you buen Camino and hope this new walk brings you all you experienced last year plus new adventures but it will be different
Ian

Hi,
I don't think you really need a guidebook but you might want to download pages from this site: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los ... del-norte/ I'm not sure if you read Spanish or not but even if you don't this will be helpful. You can click on each stage for a map and more information. It is a really beautiful route and I hope that you enjoy it. I found the route fairly well marked but I liked having the guide to have an idea of distances, albergues, etc. I'm not sure how updated the site is so there may be new albergues that are not listed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, I just found the site referred to above the other day and it is really great. I will be on Del Norte in July so I am starting my planning too. Ifyou have vista, and likely Windows 7 there will be a translate button on the upper right part of the page and you can set it to translate any language to your. I have mine set to translate all pages from Spanish to English and it works. Also, I think this particular site is set up for translation by clicking on little flags also on the top right of the page. If not, I am confusing it with another Del Norte site.

Bev

Hi Liana

I started off the Norte without a guidebook, i think i found this site 3 weeks before i was due to walk, and read a thread saying it was possible to walk it without one. What i would say from my own experience is that it is possible, and it makes each day a totally suprising experience. However after walking with a german couple for 3 days near the end of the 1st week, i was very happy and relieved when they gave me their stein book(outdoor guides) after they had completed their time on the camino. I dont speak german, but just being able to look at the indications of accommodation, distances, services helped me a lot.

Im not sure what the CSJ(eric Walker) guide gives on its pages, i think very basic route information and a few details of accommodation and services i would suggest that you purchase one. The Norte is a lot more difficult from a finding directions point of view than the Frances and with the ongoing construction of a motorway across the western coastal section of Austurias and Northern Galicia there may be whole sections of the Camino markings that may have been erased and not replaced yet, it was that way when i walked it in july 2010.

There will be many days when you you can follow the yellow arrows with few problems, maybe a little shoulder shrugging, and other days when you will wish you had got a guide, but maybe that is part of the adventure and the experience for you if so good luck and Buen Camino.

Mike

Good luck

Thanks so much for your replies... That website (with the Vista English translation... thanks Bev) is fantastic! I'll definitely be putting together a makeshift guide from the downloads.

Mike, it's really helpful to know about the motorway construction. Shoulder shrugging is one thing on the peaceful, natural trails... a little more daunting when crossing freeways! Thanks for the heads up! I ordered Erik Walker's guides, parts 1 and 2 a few weeks ago... hopefully they arrive soon.

I had no idea when I first posted just how much information is available on this forum. I will be checking in during the next few weeks. Maybe, on my return I'll release a new Guide to the Camino del norte!

Buen Camino to you Ian... maybe I'll see you on the trail.

Thanks everyone
Liana

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am also walking Del Norte from the 2.july from Santander. I plan to take the coastel route and join the french in Arzua.
I also bought the two books by Eric Walker - haven't read them yet though.
I have also heard from the germans I have meet other years ( camino portuguese) that "outdoor" makes good guidebooks, so trugh a friends friend I have bought a copy of " the coastel route " in german and are looking forward to recive it.
I bought the german guide because on the most sites for "del norte " the descriptions turn of before Gijon and don't follow the coast.....
or maybe I am mixing "Primitivo" in to it ...?
Anyway the links are the coastel route in the north:
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los ... del-norte/
http://www.gawthorpe40.freeserve.co.uk/ ... htm#bilbao

Buen camino
Robert

This will help greatly! Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
Elevation map shows this is really steep! What’s the best way from downtown Hondarribia up there? Then wish me luck on the Purgatorio—I am a nervous wreck.
My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.