• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is tap water safe to drink in Portugal?

senora1

I’m leaving in 11 days for my CP. I live in California and would not drink tap water unless it’s filtered however I remember drinking from plenty of fountains in Spain. Is it the same in Portugal or should I plan to just buy bottled water? TIA

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m leaving in 11 days for my CP. I live in California and would not drink tap water unless it’s filtered however I remember drinking from plenty of fountains in Spain. Is it the same in Portugal or should I plan to just buy bottled water? TIA
Tap water - you already have plenty of answers. Fonts and other sources in towns and villages are generally marked, and I never saw one marked as potable, although I wasn't checking religiously. The markings vary, and not every source that isn't tap water is marked. The most cogent explanation I have seen for this is that villages won't or can't afford the treatment and testing regimes to certify these sources as potable.

When I have collected from such sources, I have treated the water with a purification tablet before drinking it.

I'm from San Diego, but no longer reside in CA....did something happen to make it unsafe?
No, the water is safe. I do drink filtered water when I'm at my daughter's house in LA - the water is perfectly safe to drink, but it just doesn't taste great.

Also from California! The water in Portugal is good however I found there weren’t as many Camino fountains on the CP as there were on the CF so I did find myself buy a big bottle at the end of each day to refill my pack bottle and to drink that night to rehydrate.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked Porto to SdC in July 2023 and found that the tap water in Portugal in average was better in taste than in Spain. You can drink tap water and be fine. If it's not for human consumption it should be labelled as "agua impotavel!"

Have fun and a great experience!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tap water - you already have plenty of answers. Fonts and other sources in towns and villages are generally marked, and I never saw one marked as potable, although I wasn't checking religiously. The markings vary, and not every source that isn't tap water is marked. The most cogent explanation I have seen for this is that villages won't or can't afford the treatment and testing regimes to certify these sources as potable.

When I have collected from such sources, I have treated the water with a purification tablet before drinking it.
Maybe, in Portugal, it would be labelled potável because, you know, they speak Portuguese and not Spanish? ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked Porto to SdC in July 2023 and found that the tap water in Portugal in average was better in taste than in Spain. You can drink tap water and be fine. If it's not for human consumption it should be labelled as "agua impotavel!"

Have fun and a great experience!
This sounds about right. There are several out-in-the-open faucets in our neighbourhood. One is marked agua impotavel; the others have no marking. After several years of dealing with Portuguese officialdom and its penny-wise pragmatism, I would guess that the official response to "why isn't it marked drinkable?" would be "why would we? Of course it's drinkable if we don't say otherwise!"

My husband and I bicycled the Portugues route in 2022 and had no issues with tap water in Portugal. Bon Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All water is safe to drink due to the high cross european standards. Any water not to those standards will have a notice.

All water is safe to drink due to the high cross european standards. Any water not to those standards will have a notice.
Clearly not all water is safe to drink, nor, in my experience, is all tap water. I have found outdoor taps in places labelled 'non-potable' or the equivalent. It appeared to me that municipalities and other organisations were using recycled water in their parks and gardens, when outdoor taps were clearly labelled.

That said, getting water from inside taps in albergues, bars, cafes, etc, will be safe barring local issues with water quality when additional treatment measures have been mandated. And one might expect that if there were such requirements, hospitaleros, bar staff, etc would advise you about that.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I drink the tap water in Portugal, but I also will drink tap water in California.
That brave of you to drink California tap water. :)

In all seriousness, Portugal and Spain have a modern and efficient water system. However, I do bring along a Britta squeeze bottle and filter mine before filling my hydration pack. I'm not concerned about bacteria or viruses (Britta filters don't remove them anyway), but rather organic chemicals from our modern society that make it into the tap water. Britta filters helps to remove many of them and also make the water taste better by removing the chloramines.

Off subject but how was bicycling the CP? We did the CF 3 years ago and loved it…
It was wonderful bicycling the CP! This was our first Camino and we found the infrastructure was excellent all the way, people were friendly...just a terrific experience! I would highly recommend a Camino by bicycle.

tap water yes, fountains maybe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe, in Portugal, it would be labelled potável because, you know, they speak Portuguese and not Spanish? ;)
Portugal is in the European Union and EU member states have to comply with The recast Drinking Water Directive (DWD) is the EU's main law on drinking water. It concerns the access to and the quality of water intended for human consumption to protect human health. The recast is a response by the Commission to the European Citizens' Initiative 'Right2Water. So unless it states is not drinking water it should be safe.

Most read last week in this forum

My knee is not swollen but is really sore and I am thinking that I could try to find a place to recover, and am asking for ideas. I am currently in Zubiri. I can take a bus out of here to Pamplona...
There have been several threads recently about illness and safety on the Camino. I have been looking into travel insurance, as this seems to be a good idea and a reasonable precaution. I’ve...
I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
Buen Camino all! I completed my first Camino a couple of weeks ago, from Valenca to Santiago, aprox 124km. Had the most fantastic experience and cannot overestimate how worthwhile it was. The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.