• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3,171 Compostelas issued today

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It sounds like a lot, but it is it also a lot compared to earlier years?
Very unusual to have more than 3,000 at this time of year. More likely in July, August and September.

From the solviturambulando website. Shows last year's daily arrival figures in dark red and the 2022 figures as pale pink for comparison.

1714760828861.png

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very unusual to have more than 3,000 at this time of year. More likely in July, August and September.

From the solviturambulando website. Shows last year's daily arrival figures in dark red and the 2022 figures as pale pink for comparison.

View attachment 169369
The cumulative lines are much more telling, unless people are used to looking at daily figures that change according to several factors it is very hard to pick a pattern but if you look at the cumulative lines then you see that they start together (of course) and they end together (much more interesting) and so, if they reflect correct information, then there is simply a time shift in when people walk but no increase in overall numbers.

The cumulative lines are much more telling, unless people are used to looking at daily figures that change according to several factors it is very hard to pick a pattern but if you look at the cumulative lines then you see that they start together (of course) and they end together (much more interesting) and so, if they reflect correct information, then there is simply a time shift in when people walk but no increase in overall numbers.
That graph above is for 2022 and 2023 - posted to answer @Luka 's question about earlier years. But I think the time shift element is significant. I've posted this year's arrival graph from solviturambulando below. Again this year's figures are dark red while last year's are pink. The running total of Compostelas so far this year is about 20% up on the same period last year but Easter was nearly two weeks earlier this year. Holy Week has traditionally been when many albergues reopen and pilgrim numbers begin to rise sharply. The earlier date may have moved the peak period a little. I think we will need more time to separate the time shift effect from any underlying significant increase in numbers.

1714819885968.png

I was at the Pilgrim Office late yesterday afternoon at 5 pm and it was real busy but they issue the Compostelas really quickly. Those who do the long stage from Padrón to Santiago don't have to worry then if you get there before 6.45 pm when the Office closes (7 pm). What surprises me is the number that still arrive without registering on their website in advance. It takes minimal effort to do so and saves time and resource.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I was at the Pilgrim Office late yesterday afternoon at 5 pm and it was real busy but they issue the Compostelas really quickly. Those who do the long stage from Padrón to Santiago don't have to worry then if you get there before 6.45 pm when the Office closes (7 pm). What surprises me is the number that still arrive without registering on their website in advance. It takes minimal effort to do so and saves time and resource.
Thanks for your input, Mark.
I registered using the website and have a bar code. I just have to go to the pilgrim Office and show my credential and stamps? How does one obtain the other certificate that one has walked so many kilometers? Is that also found at the Pilgrim Office or elsewhere?

I registered using the website and have a bar code. I just have to go to the pilgrim Office and show my credential and stamps? How does one obtain the other certificate that one has walked so many kilometers? Is that also found at the Pilgrim Office or elsewhere?
Yes, from the Pilgrims Oofice. You’ll be asked when you get there if you want a distance certificate as well as your Compostela - it’ll cost you a few euros - if for some reason you’re not asked, just request it yourself.

Yes show the security guard your QR code to get into the Office then after him there's another lady who will give you a ticket with number code from the machine. Then straight ahead to the hallway where there's to the right the screen with numbers showing. Wait for your code number then on to counter. They may ask you a few questions like where you started and they should ask if you want the Distance Certificate which costs 3€. You can buy a cardboard holder to protect both documents which costs 2€, and looks great with the tiny scallop shaped design. Buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes show the security guard your QR code to get into the Office then after him there's another lady who will give you a ticket with number code from the machine. Then straight ahead to the hallway where there's to the right the screen with numbers showing. Wait for your code number then on to counter. They may ask you a few questions like where you started and they should ask if you want the Distance Certificate which costs 3€. You can buy a cardboard holder to protect both documents which costs 2€, and looks great with the tiny scallop shaped design. Buen camino.
The Camino is almost over…one more day and it’s Santiago…hope I can get a picture of yours truly in front of the Santiago Compostela sign without it pouring down.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have said the same thing elsewhere this evening. Though you might have to ban me if I repeated my initial verbal reaction on the forum... :cool:
They used to say "millions of people have walked the Camino over the centuries". Soon we'll be saying "millions of people have walked the Camino over the decade".

It looks as if today's total is just a little short of the 3,000 mark: 2,938 Compostelas issued today. 9,281 in just three days in May. I think these are unprecedented numbers for the time of year. Not sure what conclusions can be drawn from that quite yet but it certainly has surprised me!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

To anyone who just finished the Camino these past few days, or who will be finishing the Camino today or tomorrow: If you'll have finished the Camino by tomorrow night and if you'll be in...
Hello, my shoes are pretty down and worn out now with holes in it. As it is rainy these days I won’t make it to Fisterra with dry feet. Can you recommend a good shop for shoes in Santiago...
Hi to all, I'm on the invierno right now and I will be in santiago tomorrow. I realise today I didn't get two stamps per day in the last 100 km. My question is how in the pilgrim office they are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back