• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

3 weeks to do Norte or Frances?

Bernardo77

Time of past OR future Camino
Did CF in winter 2019
CF/CdN Sep 2022
Ola Ivar and all Peregrinos. My name is Ernie and I am from South Africa, I hiked the Frances in 2019 during November and absolutely loved it. My wife and I, both 45, want to do a Camino together in 2023 between 16 September and 7 October so we only have 3 weeks in Spain. I am so unsure about which route although we have narrowed it down to the Frances or Norte. I am wondering if any of you think it is possible to do the French where one walks the first week, then cycle the flatter part (meseta) say from Burgos in about 5 days to say Astorga and then walk say the last week?? Not sure how viable this is. Guess the Norte may need to be cut to start about 300km in and do last 500km. I love the idea of the Norte but something is calling me back to the French, would love to somehow get in the full distance and experience in this compressed time. Would love to hear from all the adventurous pilgrims out there!

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks J, looks like about a 500km walk from Burgos which should be doable in our 21 available days, weighing up the value of doing the continuous walk as you suggested (guess some benefits to not interrupting the Camino flow and friendships) vs doing the beautiful first few days from sjpp and then skipping ahead to a point that will get us to the end in the available time

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks J, looks like about a 500km walk from Burgos which should be doable in our 21 available days, weighing up the value of doing the continuous walk as you suggested (guess some benefits to not interrupting the Camino flow and friendships) vs doing the beautiful first few days from sjpp and then skipping ahead to a point that will get us to the end in the available time
Depending on how far you walk each day, 21 days should get you there from Burgos, and it has the benefit of being easier (and using less time) to get to the start. As SJPDP is harder to get to, it can use up an extra day.

There are people who rent bikes in Burgos and drop them off in Leon. That said - if people aren't used to long distance biking - even though it is the Meseta and "mostly" flat - I have seen people report it was much harder than they thought it would be. Especially when you do have a big climb or are riding against the wind.

Norte is beautiful - but tons of up/down. How are your knees? Norte isn't ideal if you have knee issues. And you probably already have a Compostela, is it important for you to get another one? If no - you can start at the "beginning" (Irun or SJPDP) and walk until you run out of time. Or if you want the Compostela - then you can start about 10 or so "stages" from Irun or SJPDP so you can make it all the way to Santiago. If you do want to rent a bike - I say stick to the Frances. I wouldn't personally want to bike on the Norte. Too many hills, and too many road walking/biking stretches. But that is my personal preference. An experienced long distance biker probably loves the Norte.

Most read last week in this forum

..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done VĂ©zelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back